New Oculus VR experience using Libretro libraries!

Hello!

I wanted to share with you a new Oculus VR technical demo I have created in Unity thanks to the incredible Libretro libraries.

I hope you enjoy it!

Cheers!

Your link doesn’t seem to be pointing in the right direction!

Ops! corrected now! Thanks!

Heard this place closed down. The clerk was using emulators in his cabs and was always drunk, sometimes setting the screens upside down.

More seriously, nice demo. :slight_smile:

Yeah, very cool. Thanks for sharing it :slight_smile:

Have you considered trying to set up a general VR-based Libretro frontend in Unity? While RetroArch itself has some SBS shader support (though very limited and difficult), it seems like a custom-made frontend would be a much better solution than trying to hack things into RA. (I’m also of the understanding that Unity natively supports a wide variety of VR platforms out of the box - which is really good for the poor folk like me who can only afford Cardboard…)

This is a similar project:

Junior Member Join Date2015-07-06LocationOttawa, Ontario, CanadaPosts17

Have you considered trying to set up a general VR-based Libretro frontend in Unity? While RetroArch itself has some SBS shader support (though very limited and difficult), it seems like a custom-made frontend would be a much better solution than trying to hack things into RA. (I’m also of the understanding that Unity natively supports a wide variety of VR platforms out of the box - which is really good for the poor folk like me who can only afford Cardboard…)

Yes you are right! , I understand this kind of VR experience as some kind of next generation Retroarch , but keep in mind I created this only as a learning experience. I have demostrated that something like this is possible with Unity , as was before in Unreal with Retroarcade, now is time for others to take the idea and improve it. I’m currently into another project with the Hololens, I don’t wanna to be stuck with this forever although I will be adding new arcades and emus in the future. If there is a real demand maybe in I will distribute some kind of frontend for VR like you said, but that would imply some serious beta testing and I don’t have the time nor motivation for doing it… Create a comercial polished product was never my intention.

Regards!

Kaiju,

This is an amazing accomplishment.

I was wondering if you’re piping in the video and audio from RetroArch, as emuvr does or if you’re actually getting callbacks directly from the libretro core .dlls into Unity.

I’m currently doing the latter as a way of getting a better understanding of how Libretro works, but I’m having some audio issues (a lot of static and pops) as well as Unity crashing on any core with a libwinpthread-1.dll dependency (which is about half of them).

Did you have those issues? Thanks and great work!