Not sure which joystick setting to use (analog or digital)

I bought a Qanba Carbon joystick (fight stick) to play MAME and FB Alpha games on my Windows 7 desktop PC, and on the joystick there’s a button to set it to either D-Input (default) or X-Input. There’s another button to set it to Directional Pad or Left Analog Stick. I’m new to joysticks, but since I’m only playing MAME/FB Alpha, which settings should I use? I’m just trying to figure out the best performance for the joystick. Mainly playing platformers, beat-em-ups, shoot-em-ups like Golden Axe, Final Fight, R-Type.

Also, within Retroarch --> Input --> User 1 Binds, should User 1 Analog to Digital Type be set to None, Left Analog, or Right Analog? I’m not using any other controllers or the keyboard to play games, just this joystick. Thanks.

You have a few options that will all work fine.

Up-to-date MAME treats the left analog stick as the joystick, while FBA uses the dpad, so you can either set analog to digital type to ‘left’ or use the dpad/analog hardware switch to go back and forth depending on whether you use FBA or MAME.

In FBA, in quick menu > controls, you can change your device type to “modern” and it should all “just work”. For MAME, you may need to go into the MAME OSD/tab menu and remap your controls there, as it doesn’t support the quick menu > controls menu, IIRC.

1 Like

OK, thanks! Does Input --> Analog Stick Deadzone in RetroArch work with MAME? I tried setting it to 0.05, 0.5 and 0.95 and didn’t notice any difference with my joystick playing MAME games, and I do notice some difference when I change Options --> Default System Options --> Controllers --> Joystick Deadzone when I’m just playing in the standalone MAME program.

Is there a way to directly edit the MAME config (or ini) file in the RetroArch folders to modify that MAME Joystick Deadzone value?