Over 1000 Arcade Overlays

I may have grabbed them i will have to check.

If so i will try and add them to libretros github

Here https://github.com/libretro/arcade-overlays

Unless theres a reason not to @hunterk

no, I think it’s appropriate.

Try that new link I just put up. I finally made a MEGA account to back up some stuff and those overlays were the first thing on my hit list. First time sharing a link from there so I hope that works, let me know if it doesn’t.

1 Like

Link works fine.

Thanks for updating it.

I will get them on github soon ish…

Sounds good. If I’m not mistaken MEGA doesn’t have any expiration date as well (as a free user) so I think that link should work indefinitely as long as I keep my account.

Thanks @sonkun for the link - much appreciated!

1 Like

Currently adding these to GitHub for approval now.

@sonkun do you have override configs for these bezels?

Sounds good. I think I have about 100 something override configs and then I just stopped doing them lol. I was planning to post them up a while ago but I use certain custom shaders along with those configs and those shader settings got saved within the override configs so I’m not sure if that would interfere with someone elses Retroarch set up if they were to try and use them. I guess I can still put them up if you want.

Cool, chuck them up and I will see if there are any minor edits that can make them global. Or write up where people should place them to then use the config overrides

Here you go. I also included the shaders I used along with read me files of what folder the overrides/shaders need to be placed in. Some overrides may need more tweaking but they’re basically what I used in those sample images in the first post.

Forgot to mention those shaders can only be used with the Vulkan driver. The easymode shader I mostly use with the horizontal games and the hyllian one I only use mostly for the vertical games.

1 Like

I updated the link so grab those when you get a chance, noticed quite a few overrides I did were missing. I’m not sure how it turned out on your end using my overrides with my crazy config set up but if somehow you got them to work without too much trouble I may just get back to doing overrides for every overlay I did and post them all up.

2 Likes

so I have managed to remove your user specific paths

I changed those for /storage/emulated/0/RetroArch/overlays/borders/sonkun-mame

for the cfg files

I also removed the file browser path to mame roms

The only issue I have is the shader presets. There are many of those and not sure how to handle that one as you must have a rooted device which not everyone has. EDIT: you may not be rooted as lauching from Hyperspin but your presets are in a root folder

I have commented that out.so it is visible for people to help find the correct one you used

The biggest issue is that I cant test anything till the wife gives up the TV :frowning:

Forgot to mention my Shield Tv is indeed rooted so placing those shaders (if you want to use them) may not work for non rooted users, I guess a work around would be to just open them elsewhere and copy/recreate all the settings on your own machine. But yes if can somehow get those overrides to work after changing a few things here and there and simply tossing them into your Retroarch/Mame folder then that would definitely be good news for everyone

Very nice work :slightly_smiling_face: I have a little trouble, several overlays doesn’t display correctly, they only appear as a dark rectangle. I tried scaling them, just a rectangle (the center screen one i guess), as if their display were reversed. Retropie 4.3 with a Pi3.

@markwkidd this thread is probably the largest attempt at converting arcade bezels to the libretro overlays system (excludin the new TheBezelProject)…there are some issues that arise from the overlay system being designed for gamepad touchscreen overlays not not bezels. Thats probably why most creators fall back to using the mame lay system. It has more flexibility.

The work by Derek Moore on animated bezels is shows some advantages.

And the OP describes another issue where bezels need to be drawn under the emulation in some cases which is not possible with the current overlay system.

Personally I would love to see the ability to have more than 1 full screen overlay to allow for the little screen bezel to be applied seperatly to the bezel artwork.

When I get some storage space at home i will have mame2003-plus setup to do some testing, i like the project and your work with it…always solid contributions. :slight_smile:

Let’s keep in touch about this topic for sure.

The only native MAME artwork we are activating with mame2003-plus is the Backdrop artwork, which as you mentioned is like an “underlay”. Due to a conceptually unrelated issue with the original libretro port video code, Backdrops are not quite working.

There are inherent scaling issues with using the native Backdrop functionality as you mentioned, which at best can be worked-around by scaling the emulated video within the core on host systems that can handle it. Thankfully (?) because we have the color depth bug I haven’t had to contemplate implementing core-based resolution scaling in mame2003-plus as a workaround for this issue yet.

The best resolution would be, as you describe, a more flexible Layer artwork system in RetroArch which allows what are now called “Overlays” to be placed at various z-depths, including below the emulated video for Backdrop purposes. (Probably the touch buttons should only be allowed at the topmost layer though! :robot:)

While I think there may have been a RetroArch issue proposing this at one point, I would bet that it was not very specific. A well-written issue describing a new layer-based system for artwork might get the ball rolling in a new way. And could serve as the starting point for a bounty.

Amazing piece of work. Great job!

Nice!!!✺◟(∗❛ัᴗ❛ั∗)◞✺

Amazing piece of work. Great job! ty

I forgot that I even said this! Well, these months later there is now an issue and a bounty – currently valued at $150 – to do just this.

Donations and coders are welcome!

1 Like