Overlays load completely black

Has anyone seen a problem when loading overlays, they do not appear, the screen is entirely black. It’s like the .png file is not loading. If I adjust the overlay_opacity lower I can then see the game window, but the overlay is still not there. I’m adding the following to core’s retroarch.cfg file. Is there any other configuration file I need? Any help greatly appreciated !

I’ve tried several different downloaded overlays and none work.
I’ve tried setting permissions to 777.
I’ve confirmed the .png filename in the .cfg file is exact and the .cfg file is in the same directory. I’m on retropie 4.2 if that matters.

input_remapping_directory = “/opt/retropie/configs/snes/”

video_scale_integer = “false” video_fullscreen_x = 1920 video_fullscreen_y = 1080 custom_viewport_width = 1194 custom_viewport_height = 896 custom_viewport_x = 363 custom_viewport_y = 91 aspect_ratio_index = 22 input_overlay = /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/overlays/1080p_4-3/nintendosnes.cfg input_overlay_enable = true input_overlay_opacity = 1.000000 input_overlay_scale = “1.000000” last line is the hashtag include “/opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg”

I had this issue on Retropie if the png of the overlay did not have 1080p dimensions. So check whether the png has 1920x1080 dimensions. Hope it helps!

That did the trick. Strangely enough when looking at the .png details they were 2560x1440. when resizing to 1920x1080 they were displayed. But when resized using Windows Paint, the middle transparent section becomes white and the game video does not display. I must figure out how to resize and retain the transparency of the middle. Any ideas anyone?

Paint is probably losing the alpha channel. Try using Paint.NET, GIMP or Photoshop.

Yes, Gimp rules and worth the learning curve !

found an easy way to batch resize them without losing transparency. I found ffmpeg works, which is light weight on windows 7 from cmd-line.

copy png’s to ffmpeg bin directory mkdir Resized for %f in (*.png) do ffmpeg -i “%~nxf” -s 1920x1080 “Resized%~nxf”

I have the same problem has OP and I don’t know how to solve this. I’m trying to make a gameboy color overlay for my android tablet to make it look like my old gbc. The ideia is to have on-screen controls on top of the handheld image but i can’t even display the background (game boy) to start with. My tablet’s screen resolution is 2048x1536 and i’ve tried using both my native screen res as well as 1080p for the png but the result is the same, game screen and black.

By the way, how do you test your configs on pc (like position, aspect ratio, etc)? Do you use an android emulator to make things easier? Right now i’m using Photoshop’s rulers set to percentage to get the 0.0-1.0 button positioning values but first i have to make sure the background image displays correctly.

Edit: Got it working using my device screen res, I was testing on Nox and it didn’t work there but on my tablet it works fine. Still have a couple of problems but i think i’ll start a new thread for that.