PCSX-Reloaded core in RetroArch?

Would it be worth adding PCSX-Reloaded (http://pcsxr.codeplex.com/) to RetroArch? How does it fare against PCSX ReARMed?

Which system are you wanting a PSX core for? Also, PCSX ReARMed is for ARM based devices.

1 Like

I want a core for both mobile and desktop devices. I’m suggesting that it might be worth to consider adding PCSX-Reloaded as a new core to RetroArch, aside from Mednafen and PCSX ReARMed.

I don’t mean to necro, I looked for the forum rules and didn’t find anything. If I did bad posting in a two years old thread, just tell me and I’ll open a new one.

I second the request of PCSXR as alternative PSX core in RetroArch. Mednafen would be perfect, but I’ve got two issues with it:

1. I can’t get mednafen to run on my girlfriend’s Windows PC without it lagging to the point it is unusable, while PCSXR has no problem and run smoothly and flawlessly
  2. The PAL versions of Disney’s Interactive Hercules PSX game have an incompatibility problem with mednafen, that again does not occur when using PCSXR (I have reported it in mednafen’s forum)

Since I don’t know how the process of creating a new core for RetroArch works, and if it depends on libretro’s devs or on the emulator which will be used as a core, somebody please tell me who should I be pestering and how :wink:

PCSX-ReARMed is basically the same as PCSX-Reloaded, but in ReARMed the dynamic recompiler for the x86 architecture was removed and replaced with a dynamic recompiler for ARM (hence the name). I always thought it is a pity that we don’t have a dynamic recompiler for the x86 architecture on PSX.

However, twinhapex did add this: https://github.com/libretro/pcsx1-libretro with this commit message (among others): “Add back dynarec code - to be integrated” (https://github.com/libretro/pcsx1-libretro/commit/f851b0994b4a98df59694a4647a52ab015581146), but stopped working on it last August :frowning: So it looks like he did intent to bring a fast PSX emulator to retroarch for both ARM and x86 platforms, thus termed PCSX1.

So there basically is a PCSX-ReARMed core, with the x86 dynamic recompiler, but it can’t use it yet, since the ARM recompiler is very different, coding wise, from the x86 one.

I tried to get the x86 dynarec working, but I had no luck, nothing happened, no error or segfault, but also no game, just a black screen. I think the thing is that the emulator uses parts of the arm dynarec code, even if you don’t use the dynarec itself, so it isn’t just a matter of replacing the dynarec.

I always wanted to dig deeper into this, but this takes more time as I thought, since I don’t have any experience with emulators (architecture wise). Maybe when I am done with my Ph.D. I will give it another shot.

Me too, I second this request : Reason is Mednafen core is unusable on cheap windows mini-PC TV box like Tronsmart Ara X5. It’s far too slow. My previous TV box was an android RK3188 and PCSC ReARMed worked just perfect ! I miss it

Just wanted to mention that pcsx_rearmed absolutely flies on my OpenELEC/RPi3 setup. It actually runs better than my i5 NUC (although I haven’t tried recent cores on the NUC).

Adding one fatal fault I found on pcsx-reARMed on android while using retroarch: if you save the game it corrupts bios files and causes error “bios not found” to pop up, issue can only be fixed by deleting saves (no manual bios adding helps)

So isn’t planned to bring this core to retroarch ?

Why would anyone want to? Last release was in 2009 as far as I can tell, and the alternatives (rearmed and beetle) works great.

Beetle doesn’t with modified isos, like game translations or something… So rearmed is or arm plataorm only right?

Fan translations for Tales of Phantasia, Policenauts and Nocturne of the Moonlight work fine in Beetle. You do need a specific version of the Phantasia patch for it though. And I’m not sure if the FF7 fan translation was ever updated to work with it.

There’s one more reason for PCSX-Reloaded core requests - widescreen hack option. If that would be ported to PCSX-ReARMed then it would be great, but so far I haven’t found any usable core (also for performance) for ARM devices which has such option. I recently bought PlayStation Classic and I’m using RetroBoot 0.9 with RetroArch 1.7.7 there and although PCSX ReARMed with NEON optimisation works great, I really miss options for widescreen hack (16x9).

Edit: Btw. looking at code repo, last commits and changelog for PCSXr were updated last year, so it doesn’t look like abandoned: