Personal Favorite Cores

Just wondering what your Favorites for Each System and Why?

My favorites are:

Mesen
Higan
Sameboy
mGBA
Beetle-psx

I like accuracy.

1 Like

Same here and same cores as you. But my machine cant handle Higan, i use Bsnes Mercury Accuracy instead

1 Like

There is a balance core for Higan that is lighter on resources. You can give that one a try and see how it runs for you.

1 Like

screw accuracy…

fceumm snes9x pcsx_rearmed beetle handy beetle supergrafx (pce_fast based) beetle saturn vbam-m desmume

im not saying these an inaccurate cores and these are my priority for titles that do run on those cores, if not then i choose alternatives.

2 Likes

I make a point to only use cores that support proper system boot ups from the BIOS files.

For example, Gambette will display the GB and GBC system logos before playing a game. mGBA will do this for GBA. GensPlusGX will do this for not only Genesis but also the Game Gear. Desmune does it for the DS if you put it into interpreter mode.

Sadly Dolphin’s core does not support this for Gamecube games yet (though stand-alone does) so I just use stand-alone (begrugingly) for now.

I also use the mednafen SGX core instead of PCE for NEC stuff because it’s the only way I can get Arcade CD-ROM^2 games to play. I like that this core let’s me choose which BIOS to use as well (though an auto feature would be great, have to use core overrides atm to cover all 3 types on their proper games)

I prefer Reicast over Redeam, but that’s only because Redream doesn’t support w/e version of CHDs I have… kinda lame :frowning: So I can’t even really try it.

For Neo Geo CD I would ‘prefer’ to use Final Burn Alpha, but it doesn’t support CHDs and I’m not uncompressing my collection, I need the space.

PlayStation I go with beetle_psx_hw, but I run it in software mode. I think it runs like a dream, but that perspective correction really makes the games feel ‘solid’ which the original hardware lacked.

Saturn I also go with the beetle core. Kronos seems alright, but beetle just seems better fleshed out right now.

Neo Geo I use FBA, because it lets me use the UniBios so I can set all my games to boot up as USA-Console (AES) but also be able to switch to w/e region or MVS/AES on launch.

N64 I primarily use ParaLLEl because it just works so damn well. It runs Rogue Squadron ffs lol. Still I do have to use Mupen-next for Excitebike and at least one more game I can’t remember atm.

SNES I use Higan accuracy. It seems to handle the games wonderfully, but I also have Snes9x for Satellaview titles… not sure if Higan can run these now that I think about it. I know I switched to Higan for SGB games a while back.

32X I am forced to use PicoDrive as Gens sadly does not support it, I hate this because I don’t think PicoDrive is very good in general (seems to act more like a Sega Nomad than a Genesis) but also because unlike Gens you cannot get that boot screen “Produced or under license by sega enterprises ltd.” Which ‘should’ be displayed before any 32X game launches.

DOS I just recently switched to dosbox_SVN as it seemed to be easier to get going on the games I play (Really only DOOM, Wolfenstein, and Duke 3D so far) Though, user warning, it will only accept .exe names at 6 or less characters. Normal DosBox core doesn’t have this limitation.

Most other stuff like 3DO, PC-FX, Neo Geo Pocket etc… they only have the one core. Same with Jaguar, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t save that part to the end just so I could bitch about the absolute lack of Jaguar CD emulation thanks to NO emulator supporting this system at all. (not just in RetroArch, I mean anywhere at all)

For the most part we’ve really got some amazing choices here. Very little from stand-alones haven’t made the jump to their respective core.

1 Like