Please help with Nintendo 64 Plug-ins!

I have tried to get help from a few other forums but no luck and people here have been really helpful in the past… This isn’t exactly related to retroarch, lakka etc. but here goes…

I have been playing around with different plug-ins for the last week. I have found newer ones on www.EmuCR.com. I have found older ones… all over the place :smiley: I have so many versions and I don’t know what the ideal set-up is. So far it seems Azimer Audio .70 WIP 10 (12/31/17) is the best audio and Nrage 2.3d (11/23/17) is the best input. Then I get to the graphics and RSP plug-ins and I have trouble…

1. Is there a diffrence between Glide64 “Final” and GLide64 (12/30/17)? Is GLide64 just an updated fork of Glide64 “Final”?

2. I have had some trouble getting Angrylion to run faster then 35-40 Vi/s but I think I like GLide better. Is the reason people enjoy with the Angrylion Plug-in that it looks closest to an actual N64? The graphics look smoother with GLide64, and I just want to make sure that is the expected behavior.

3. Are there better RSP plug-ins then the ones included with the latest versions of Mupen64 and Project64?

4. What is the best RSP plug-in to use with Angrylion in Mupen64? Same question for Project 64?

5. What is the best RSP plug-in to use with GLide64 in Mupen64? Same question for Project 64?

6.What is glide64mk2? Is it better then GLide64?

1. In Mupen64plus is CXD4 RSP better then HLE rsp?

2. What about the plug-in Z64? Is this something worth trying out?

I have found some guides to the “best” plug-in but they have not been updated since around 2014 and I can’t seem to find a more current suggestion. I have asked around on a few other forums and I haven’t gotten much help. I know there are a lot of questions here but any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Pretty much all you need to know is: if you want upscaled resolution and texture filtering and all that stuff (i.e., HLE), use GLideN64 (not to be confused with Glide or GLN64; those are different plugins). This plugin is available for Mupen64plus or PJ64. RetroArch has an older version in the mupen64plus-libretro core but it’s about a year old, so it’s missing some of the latest developments (like Rogue Squadron).

If you want native res / accuracy, use Angrylion-plus (known as threaded Angrylion in ParaLLEl-N64 libretro) with cxd4 RSP. ParaLLEl-N64 libretro core also has a Vulkan LLE renderer (needs cxd4 RSP, as well) that’s full speed on relatively modest hardware but it’s missing some important features. Most of the popular games (Mario, Zelda, etc.) work well, though.

1 Like

Thank you this helps alot… What is the best RSP to use with GLideN64?

The HLE RSP plugin since it performs the best with it. CXD4 is needed if you need to use an LLE video plugin like Angrylion-Plus in Mupen64plus or ParaLLEl. For Project64, the best way to use the RSP is the default one and the performance in LLE mode performs faster with Angrylion-Plus than CXD4 generally. I was able to get Super Mario 64 fullspeed with Angrylion in Project64’s RSP without any issue.

1 Like

Thanks @hunterk and @Pokefan531 for your suggestion its really helpful. :slightly_smiling_face: