Problems with CRT Switchres on Wii Retroarch

I am not sure if CRT Switchres has proper support on Retroarch for Wii, but I cannot get it to work properly with my NTSC Wii (system video set at 480i to enable 240p/224p resolutions) connected to a Sony multisync professional monitor.

When selecting Native 15kHz setting in the CRT Switchres submenu, I get a full picture but with incorrect scaling, resulting in shimmering visible when there is scrolling in the picture. I don’t know if means that the aspect ratio setting needs to be changed, but the Wii’s AR options are limited (for instance, the maximum horizontal resolution is 640).

When selecting one of the super resolutions, the picture appears severely compressed horizontally, making it impossible to navigate the Retroarch menu until Native is selected again or CRT Switchres is disabled.

Thanks to anyone who can offer some advice. For now I simply use the custom AR with integer scaling, or have to look up the resolution of the system/game each time. This is burdensome, so I hope I can get CRT Switchres to work in this setup.

Hmm, I don’t think it’s hooked up for Wii. I’m surprised it does anything at all :open_mouth:

For the super resolution, you would need to go to settings > video and set a custom aspect ratio with integer scaling and horizontal scale >=5x (depends on which super res you’re using) and then go back and enable the super-res option. You might have to play around with it stretching it to, say, 3x so you can still navigate the menu, enable the super res, then come back and do the rest of the scaling. (assuming it works at all)

Thanks for the suggestion. It looks like both the “config” and “custom” aspect ratios bypass/disable any CRT Switchres setting, while CRT Switchres makes all other aspect ratios (core provided, 4:3, 16:9, etc.) look the same. This makes me think that setting a 3x or 5x custom aspect ratio will at the same time disable CRT Switchres.

On the other hand, I’m also not sure what to set for the “screen resolution”, which seems to affect both the aspect ratio’s suitability and probably also CRT Switchres. On Wii Retroarch, for 15kHz video the maximum resolutions available are 640x240 and 640x224.

Very possible. Yeah, I’m not confident you’re going to get much out of it, since I’m pretty sure alphanu didn’t hook up any of the GX scaling shit that would be required to get it working on Wii.

Too bad. I was hoping this would vastly reduce having to adjust video settings frequently. Oh well, I guess I’ll just keep doing custom AR with integer scaling for each system/game at 1x vertical and 2x horizontal (in most cases) and changing the screen resolution to whatever is closest.