Proposal for playlist file format v2

There has been discussion in the past about what an enhanced playlist format should look like, but I think anyone has put forward a specific recommendation yet. I’m writing this in the hopes of sparking productive discussion about what the new format should look like and ways that a more flexible playlist format could improve RetroArch.

Prologue: An Important Assumption

Per comments from Twinaphex, a new playlist format would need to co-exist with the existing format. This proposal is based on the assumption that the playlist parser would be modified to switch based on whether a v1 playlist or a v2 playlist was being loaded.

Because this proposal uses a minimal xml format, logic for playlist detection could be as simple as:

File fp = open_file(playlistname);
char firstchar = get_char(fp);
if(firstchar == "<") // XML format detected
    parse_xml_playlist(fp);
else // v1 playlist
   parse_v1_playlist(fp);

Alternately, if the new playlists were given a different file extension than lpl, that could be used to determine which parser to use.

Proposal

The next version of the RetroArch file format should use a simple XML format parsed by a minimal C XML library like xml.c or sxmlc.

This minimum viable implementation should, at least, accomplish the following improvements from the current (v1) playlist format:

1. Allow the specification of arbitrary thumbnail paths on a per-playlist-entry basis, addressing deduplication issues with the thumbnail repository and making it possible to display thumbnails from the “History” playlist.
  2. Allow new tags to be added in the future without breaking the playlist file format

Minimal playlist v2 example:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<playlist>
    <playlist_entry name="Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time (USA)">
        <content_path>storage/roms/n64/Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time (USA).n64</content_path>
     </playlist_entry>
</playlist>

Equivalent to this v1 playlist:

/storage/roms/n64/Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time (USA).n64
Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time (USA)
DETECT
DETECT
DETECT
DETECT

Mandatory tags

Each playlist file should have at minimum one playlist with at least one playlist_entry within it. Each playlist_entry should have at minimum:

• name as an attribute within the parent playlist_entry tag
  • content_path as a child tag

global attributes

This could be left optional. attributes specified within the root playlist would be per-playlist defaults. When a playlist_entry specifies the same parameter as a global parameter in playlist, the playlist_entry overrides the global setting for that item only.

More complex example

This example imagines some tags that could be implemented in the future.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<playlist>
    <playlist_icon>/tmp/assets/xmb/funky-n64/console_delight.png</playlist_icon>
    <content_icon>/tmp/assets/xmb/funky-n64/cartridge_delight.png</content_icon>
    <core_path>/tmp/cores/mupen64plus_libretro.so</core_path>
    <shader_path>/tmp/shaders/some_great_n64_shader.glsl</shader_path>
    <playlist_entry name="Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time (USA)">
        <content_path>storage/roms/n64/Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time (USA).n64</content_path>
        <thumbnail_path>/tmp/assets/thumbnails/n64/Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time (USA)</thumbnail_path>
    </playlist_entry>
    <playlist_entry name="Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time (EUR)">
        <content_path>storage/roms/n64/Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time (EUR).n64</content_path>
        <shader_path>/tmp/shaders/some_great_n64_shader_PAL_version.glsl</shader_path>
        <content_icon>/tmp/assets/xmb/funky-n64/euro_cartridge_delight.png</content_icon>
        <thumbnail_path>/tmp/assets/thumbnails/n64/Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time (USA)</thumbnail_path>
    </playlist_entry>
</playlist>

Full list of basic playlist_entry and global tags

• playlist_entry (with name as an attribute)
  • content_path
  • snap_img_path
  • title_img_path
  • boxart_img_path
  • core_path
  • core_name
  • content_crc (exists in RetroArch DB)
  • content_sha1 (exists in RetroArch DB)
  • content_md5 (exists in RetroArch DB)
  • content_serial (exists in RetroArch DB)

Possible additional tags

• shader_path
  • overlay_path
  • region
  • user_rating (rated by the user, within RetroArch)

From existing RetroArch database_info.h tags

• max_users
  • enhancement_hw
  • releasemonth
  • releaseyear
  • description
  • genre
  • publisher
  • developer (as a child <developer>with individual <developers> as nested strings, mirroring the RA DB)
  • origin
  • franchise
  • famitsu_magazine_rating
  • edge_magazine_issue
  • edge_magazine_rating
  • edge_magazine_review
  • tgdb_rating
  • bbfc_rating
  • elspa_rating
  • esrb_rating
  • pegi_rating
  • cero_rating

Possible new tags inspired by the EmulationStation gamelist.xml format

• playcount - statistic, integer, the number of times this game has been played
  • lastplayed - statistic, datetime, the last date and time this game was played.
  • kidgame - does not have any mature/adult content
2 Likes

Interesting, maybe a core_path in some kind of main header and optional on the playlist entries, to execute with a different one in case of problem

<main>
    <core_path></core_path>
</main>
<playlist_entry>
    <content_path></content_path>
    <display_name></display_name>
    <core_path></core_path> <!-- Overrides the main one -->
</playlist_entry>
<playlist_entry>
    <content_path></content_path>
    <display_name></display_name>
    <crc></crc>
</playlist_entry>
2 Likes

That is such an obvious improvement, thanks! At the risk of being verbose, I am changing your “main” to “global” and adding that concept to the proposal.

I’ve made a few more updates to the text for clarity, and added an example of how some new tags might be used in tandem with the global/override concept. I’m planning to leave it along for a while from here, however.

core_name is currently used for the history and favorites playlists

1 Like

I have found that there is an xml library within libretro-common, but the example code doesn’t build for me via mysys2/mingw64. I’ll plan to loop back around to it soon!

I had started an issue for this a while back, as bparker had offered to implement the spec once it was nailed down (i.e., not trying to come up with it as we go), and I seem to have @ed everyone who might be interested except for you, markwkidd:

I came up with pretty much the same stuff as you, though I thought JSON, since we have a parser for that, as well, though it would mean a lot of double-quotes.

1 Like

Great minds. Or was it “great mimes”?

It’s encouraging to hear there are others ready to take some steps. Especially since my C coding leaves a lot to be desired – I was dreading the proof of concept code that feels like it is needed soon.

Anyway, I definitely don’t mind moving this discussion to github or talking about JSON.

nothing was happening there on github, so we may as well keep it here for the time being and we can move it over once the discussion is done. I don’t have any preference as to XML or JSON, personally. We can ask bparker whether he does.

I would suggest xml, but thats just me.

But apparently JSON may be faster for larger files?

For other possible tags, would there be any benefit to looking at what other projects use?

Retroarch may not currently use some of those tags, but why not bake it in from the get go, so if they’re used at some point they’d be available.

As far as the EmulationStation gamelist format, I’d suggest we use the mainline RetroPie fork of EmulationStation as the reference since it’s active and widely used: https://github.com/RetroPie/EmulationStation/blob/master/GAMELISTS.md

I can’t guarantee this but I do think there have been changes to the gamelist.xml format since the fork from the Aloshi version.

Update: I have updated the OP with many new tags, most of them sourced from the RetroArch database_info.h file. I also perused the GameList.xml specification and spotted a few interesting ideas which are also part of the OP now.

1 Like

That is such an obvious improvement, thanks! At the risk of being verbose, I am changing your “main” to “global” and adding that concept to the proposal.Especially since my C coding leaves a lot to be desired – I was dreading the proof of concept code that feels like it is needed soon.

Anyway, I definitely don’t mind moving this discussion to github or talking about JSON.

Hello everyone, It’s encouraging to hear there are others ready to take some steps. Especially since my C coding leaves a lot to be desired – I was dreading the proof of concept code that feels like it is needed soon.

Do you use Discord?

The most active conversation about the playlist format is taking place on the RetroArch discord server in the #programming channel

Discord invite link: https://discord.gg/C4Huaca