PS3 RetroArch, Thumbnails for NES,Snes,2600 etc

I have tried everything, I CANNOT get the roms to display thumbnails. I have the Roms separated in categories, NES, SNES, genesis etc and I can play all the roms. here is what I have tried so far

#1 download the .zip file from the built in online updater (it crashes and cant complete i have reached about a max of 15% then dies)

#2 i have tried matching the name for the .nes file and the .jpg file exactly

#3 I have tried using .png in place of .jpg with the names matched exactly

#4 i have tried to “scan file” on the image i have also tried to “scan folder”

#5 i have directly downloaded the .zip thumbnail file from libero and put the .zip in with the Roms

#6 i have adjusted the “settings/directory/thumbnails” and set the look up folder as “dev_HDD0/ROMS/NES”

#7 I have tried resizing the .jpg or .png to 200x200

as soon as i installed RetroArch on the PC i downloaded the .zip image folder and the thing took off and displayed the same ROMS/.JPGs perfectly with no adjustments. i have seen people on youtube figure this out so i know its possible.

Please!!! Im Desperate!!!

Is the playlist name exactly the same as the folder in which the thumbnails are placed?

To try to get this working I have deleted almost all roms and jpgs. I only have about 5 games with images.

It’s structured like this…

ROMS SNES/NES/2600 Inside the NES folder is Game1.nes Game1.png Game1.jpg Game2.nes Game2.png Game2.jpg

I only have about 5 games in the NES folder. The other SNES/2600 folders are empty.

It doesn’t sound like you have named your thumbnail folder paths coorectly. Take a look at this doc: https://docs.libretro.com/guides/roms-playlists-thumbnails/#file-locations

Please note that the name of your thumbnail folder must be the exact same as the name of your playlist. Within your playlist’s root thumbnail folder, there must be subfolders like Named_Snaps, Named_Titles and/or Named_Boxarts also set up exactly the same as described in the documentation I linked.

so i need to have a NES folder with roms and a NES folder with images?

Yes, the default configuration for RetroArch expects the thumbnails to be in its thumbails folder, organized as indicated in that link.

i have read through that link 20 times and it is confusing to visualize the folder structure and names.

I need to have a folder with the title “named_boxarts” i am not sure if i need to rename this “NES_boxarts”

my playlist is named “NES” and it is a folder, I have tried putting the thumbnails contained in a “named_boxarts” inside the NES folder/playlist, and this is not working.

sorry if i am coming across kind of stupid.I legitimately want this to work and truly do not understand these instructions.

I got it!! if another dim bulb happens upon this thread this is how i fixed it…

#1 use Multiman or a FTP or a file explorer to go into…… /dev_hdd0/game/SSNE10000/USRDIR/cores and inside of here create a folder named “thumbnails”

#2 go look in /dev_hdd0/game/SSNE10000/USRDIR/cores/playlists in this folder are what RA consider a playlist. they all end in .lpl and all have a different name. copy each name and go back to step one and create a folder with each corresponding name. “folder named… Nintendo - Nintendo Entertainment System”

#3 build a new folder named “Named_Boxarts” then stuff all the NES images inside here then place this new folder into the folder from step #2

#4 open RA and navigate to settings/directory/thumbnails/ and make a path that looks like …. dev_hdd0/game/SSNE10000/USRDIR/cores/thumbnails.

this seemed to work for me. thank you very very much to markwkidd and goldug. I have seriously been fighting with this for over a year.

1 Like

I helped write the thumbnail docs and based on this conversation I see they need improvement. Thanks for helping me understand what is missing.