PS3 Scanning Roms ... crash crash crash

I’m working with a PS3 and I cant for the life of me get the scanning option to work, I have updated cores, I’m using no-intro Roms, I have tried scanning the Roms in .Zip format, I have tried everything I can think of.

i am using playlist buddy and i can generate a .lpl playlist on my PC and then import it to the PS3 and this sort of works. i can see all of my Roms and they link nicely to the box arts and it separates each console into its own category. The problem is that it wont play them. I can play whichever rom I like provided that I load it manually.

Is there a way to open a .lpl playlist and manually direct the lists? is there any other options?

Yes, lpl files are just plaintext and you can edit them pretty easily in a text editor.

You probably just have a path wrong in the playlists and a simple find-and-replace will get you fixed up.

for some reason I can scan some files and not others. when I scan my virual boy Roms I get something that looks like this…

{ “version”: “1.0”, “items”: [ { “path”: “/dev_hdd0/ROMS/Virtual Boy/Waterworld_(U)[!].vb", “label”: “Waterworld (USA)”, “core_path”: “DETECT”, “core_name”: “DETECT”, “crc32”: “82A95E51|crc”, “db_name”: “Nintendo - Virtual Boy.lpl” }, { “path”: "/dev_hdd0/ROMS/Virtual Boy/V_Tetris(J)_[!].vb”, “label”: “V-Tetris (Japan)”, “core_path”: “DETECT”, “core_name”: “DETECT”, “crc32”: “3CCB67AE|crc”, “db_name”: “Nintendo - Virtual Boy.lpl”

when I do it myself on my PC I get a lpl file that looks really different…

E:\Roms\Sega - Master System - Mark III\Ace of Aces (Europe).sms Ace of Aces (Europe) DETECT DETECT DETECT Sega - Master System - Mark III.lpl E:\Roms\Sega - Master System - Mark III\Action Fighter (USA, Europe) (v1.2).sms Action Fighter (USA, Europe) (v1.2) DETECT DETECT DETECT Sega - Master System - Mark III.lpl E:\Roms\Sega - Master System - Mark III\Addams Family, The (Europe).sms Addams Family, The (Europe) DETECT DETECT DETECT

I am in really far over my head, non of this looks familiar AT ALL. I like playing old video games and I love retroarch makes these games better. I feel that I am close. I also figured out that in notepad I can “find something” then “replace it with”. I think this is the solution but im a bit overwhelmed with / vs \ or does there need to be a ( or a { … or what about spaces?

I have tried screwing around with changing all of the “E”: to “/dev_hdd0/ROMS” but this didn’t work

in the program playlist buddy… (again… waaay over my head) I have it filled in like this… 1st box “location of roms on my PC” 2nd box “DETECT” 3rd box “my PC desktop as an output location”

I have no checks in any of the boxes, because I have no idea what any of this means

i need to sort this out, i have been trying to optimize my roms matched with cover art and eliminating roms and covers that don’t have a match, so i have been transferring over rom packs and thumbnail packs… scanning… then deleting… then optimizing on a PC then transferring over new packs again, minus the eliminated France, germany, beta, japan releases.

when i scan a 2nd or 3rd time it just defaults the rom titles to the original list. it is super buggy, i will change the rom title from streetfight (USA,France).gg to streetfight (USA).gg just so it lines up with a thumbnail. when i scan to change the update it does not recognize the change even tho the rom has been completely removed, the playlist has been deleted, i have restarted RA, then I have rescanned.

I think the easiest work around is figuring out what i am doing wrong with playlist buddy

For the playlists, the one with the curly braces is the new JSON format. There’s an option to go back to the old “6-line” format. Either way, you’ll have better luck using a non-notepad text editor. I recommend the free and open source Notepad++.

i downloaded notepad++ i will try this next. i see what you mean about the 6 line format thing. it is much more layed out and organized but the 2 different playlists (PS3 vs PC) are very different looking from each other.

i have an option in playlist buddy to “use forward slashes in playlist…” i will check this box and hopefully it helps out

right, backslashes are Windows style. Most other filesystems use forward-slashes.

is there a way for playlist buddy, or a different 3rd party playlist maker to make “new style” playlists? JSON format? I can see now that I am using notepad++ why they are so different but it is a lot of work to make the old one look like the new one. there is “” everywhere and they are separated by a very different structure.

}, { “path”: “/dev_hdd0/ROMS/gamegear/X-Men - Gamemaster’s Legacy (USA, Europe).gg”,

"label": "X-Men - Gamemaster's Legacy (USA, Europe)",
  "core_path": "DETECT",
  "core_name": "DETECT",
  "crc32": "C169C344|crc",
  "db_name": "Sega - Game Gear.lpl"
},
{

vs

/dev_hdd0/ROMS/Sega - Game Gear/gamegear/X-Men - Gamemaster’s Legacy (USA, Europe).gg

X-Men - Gamemaster’s Legacy (USA, Europe)

DETECT

DETECT

DETECT

gamegear.lpl

the top one is the new one and the bottom one is the old one. I can get the old one to recognize in RA and even attach thumbnails. but when I try to play the rom, it says “file cannot load from playlist”

Dunno, that would be up to the author of playlist buddy. There’s an option in RA to generate the 6-line format, but it shouldn’t matter either way for reading them.

First… thank you very much for all of this support

second, I found the “save playlist the old way” toggle and its perfect, I can now see side by side comparison and I think I have figured it out. everything is identical except for line 5 of each entry.

PS3 entry

/dev_hdd0/ROMS/Nintendo - Game Boy/Legend of the River King GB (Australia) (SGB Enhanced).gb

Legend of the River King GB (Australia) (SGB Enhanced)

DETECT

DETECT

51627213|crc

Nintendo - Game Boy.lpl

PC playlist (I modified the first few characters to match the /dev_hdd0roms/

/dev_hdd0/ROMS/Sega - Game Gear/5 in 1 Funpak (USA).gg

5 in 1 Funpak (USA)

DETECT

DETECT

DETECT

Sega - Game Gear.lpl

The difference is line 5 ……“51627213|crc” I am guessing this is part of the “verified roms” thing that hung me up for the first 40 hours of this project. does this have anything to do with the checkbox in playlist buddy that says “search XML DAT specified below for the titles rather than the file names”? what is a XML? What is a “DAT”?

am I even on the right track?

The CRC is a hash of the ROM and it’s what we use to identify which games are which. It’s not necessary, but some features that require exact matching require it.

XML DATs are lists of game hashes. I’m not familiar with playlist buddy beyond that it exists, unfortunately.