Re-configuring all the remap files is a pain

Can there be a way so the next time something changes with the input system we won’t have to manually re-configure every system or game from the start?

Updating to the latest version of RetroArch rendered all the previous configs useless. This can be a small problem for those who only use a couple of systems but it’s a pain for those who have configured many systems and per-game mappings.

Thanks.

1 Like

it wont break, at least most of the time. there was a massive input related update in one of the 1.7.x release hence previous remaps are now not working… and i agree, this is a pain to remap again…

This update is worth it, OP.

As has been said, it’s very rare for this project to break backwards compatibility. Only for a good reason. :sunglasses:

1.7.2 release notes

Input remapping system improvements

The input remapping system (available from Quick Menu -> Controls) had many obvious limitations previously. Some of these included:

It was not possible to map keyboard from more than one gamepad (for instance with Dosbox)
It was not possible to map more than one button to the same action
It was not possible to unmap buttons or analogs
It was not possible to map a button to trigger an analog response (for instance, in an N64 emulator, running in Super Mario 64 with the D-pad)
It was not possible to map an analog to another analog
It was not possible to map an analog to produce a button response

Most of these restrictions have now been lifted at long last thanks to radius, and the visual representation is also much improved now.

To read more about this, also visit the related forum thread here.

Do note that all your existing remap files are now obsolete, and you should start from scratch. This was a necessary evil unfortunately in order to progress.

1 Like

Sorry, I stand corrected in that case. Thanks for the heads-up.

Well, we’ll agree to disagree on the shrug: I think there are better ways to state what you have explained without coming across as needlessly rude or showing complete indifference.

Aside from that, as a user and enthusiast myself I do honestly appreciate the new remap implementation and the drawbacks are indeed worth it.