Recommendations for optimal video settings

Just wondering, do these settings apply to Wii U as well? I see no mention of HDMI, 1080p etc…

Does anyone else have an issue on the Wii U where it won’t go above 240 in progressive? 480i seems to be the max allowed for screen resolution. 480p doesn’t even show up as an option. I am connected via HDMI to a Samsung Plasma screen at 1080p. Granted everything is upscaled by the Wii U to 1080p anyways, however the rendered resolution still makes a huge difference.

EDIT: I downloaded the new nightly (2015-03-08) and the resolution is no longer displayed as interlaced or progressive so I assume that its all progressive now.

I am new on retroarch, but have played snes9x on wii for some years. The original SNES hardware I’ve played since 1995, so besides the most time I was using composite or rf cables on the crapiest tv I know pretty much how the games on this system (my main concern on retroarch) should be (video, speed, audio)… I have learned so much from this topic and boring. Thank you V. Rant! I still have some doubts, if you guys could help:

I am using a CRT TV with component (480i) on my wii. I’ve tested couple games on snes9x and snes9x next cores, also snes9xWiiStandalone…Snes standalone looks better for me, i dont know if i’m using configs wrong on retroarch, see that:

I don’t know what some configs on retroarch exactly means;

[ol] [li]“Monitor index” [/li][li]What “Refresh rate” have to do with “Estimated Monitor Framerate” (do I need to change that?) [/li][li]“Force aspect ratio” [/li][li]“Integer scale” [/li][li]“Set VI Screen Width” [/li][li]“Vsync/swap Interval” and “hard GPU sync/frames” [/li][li]Soft filter 2 bilinear filter difference [/li][/ol]

I’m pretty sure that this could help so many noobies like me that just started out using some advance emulation settings…Thanks since now.

Do you use the 240p modes? And the only one that affects how the game looks is te soft filter, just turn those off if you are on a CRT.

[QUOTE=almmir0n;27145]I am new on retroarch, but have played snes9x on wii for some years. The original SNES hardware I’ve played since 1995, so besides the most time I was using composite or rf cables on the crapiest tv I know pretty much how the games on this system (my main concern on retroarch) should be (video, speed, audio)… I have learned so much from this topic and boring. Thank you V. Rant! I still have some doubts, if you guys could help:

I am using a CRT TV with component (480i) on my wii. I’ve tested couple games on snes9x and snes9x next cores, also snes9xWiiStandalone…Snes standalone looks better for me, i dont know if i’m using configs wrong on retroarch, see that:

I don’t know what some configs on retroarch exactly means;

[ol] [li]“Monitor index”[/li][li]What “Refresh rate” have to do with “Estimated Monitor Framerate” (do I need to change that?)[/li][li]“Force aspect ratio”[/li][li]“Integer scale”[/li][li]“Set VI Screen Width”[/li][li]“Vsync/swap Interval” and “hard GPU sync/frames”[/li][li]Soft filter 2 bilinear filter difference[/li][/ol]

I’m pretty sure that this could help so many noobies like me that just started out using some advance emulation settings…Thanks since now.[/QUOTE]

Do you use the 240p modes? And the only one that affects how the game looks is the soft filter, just turn those off if you are on a CRT.

I’m using crt 240p, but sometimes I use HDTV as well. Thanks

What happened to the thread Wii/GC pixels are not square D:

dunno. it may have gotten lost in a server rebuild/transfer but we don’t intentionally delete things. I think there’s been one thread that devolved into a flamefest that got deleted but i’m not even sure about that one. It may have just gotten locked.

I don’t really know much about forums systems and stuff, but the forum “interface” to say it, was changed right? I remember that it was different on 2014.

Yeah, the forum software has changed and the hosting has changed a few times.

Is it possible to give best resolution setting for the vertical game shoot’em up Gemini Wing (224x256) ?

Can choose 512x448 but not 448x512. Can an option like 1:1, 16:15, etc… Invert value ?

[QUOTE=Leatherface;29745]Is it possible to give best resolution setting for the vertical game shoot’em up Gemini Wing (224x256) ?

Can choose 512x448 but not 448x512. Can an option like 1:1, 16:15, etc… Invert value ?[/QUOTE]

Gemini Wing, as you say, is a vertical resolution game. So the best resolution is 512 x 224 and use 90 or 270 degree screen rotation setting. And then rotate your monitor, just like it was in the arcade.

Thanks but… Well, my problem is that i’m playing on a big old CRT and impossible to turn it after the game rotation :frowning: really to heavy :slight_smile:

The Wii can’t output >480p and your CRT couldn’t handle it anyway (unless it’s one of those HD CRTs).

Well, english is difficult for me :wink: my wii is conected with a scart cable on my CRT. With retroarch, Max resolution for me under retroarch is 640x480. Just want best settings for Gemini Wing which has the same resolution as Commando (224x256). And… Can’t turn my CRT, a big one :wink:

In the Wii options, 60hz 480i :wink:

Some posts are talking about 240p. How is it possible to enable this ?

Guys, some time ago I asked for help applying these settings onto WiiU on an HDTV, using HDMI 1080p widescreen: http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1065&p=18754&viewfull=1#post18754 Could somebody help me setting up retroarch? I’d like to get as close as possible to the real consoles. I know there are a lot of factors that come into play and that it’s very unlikely to ever get a perfect emulation but I’d really like to get as close as possible. Also, I reverted back to 1.0.0.2 from the latest 1.2.2 cause I find it “more stable” if that makes sense? But should I update? Are there any new settings that might help me with setting it up? Thanks.

Wii/GC pixels are not square

1 Like

If I set the NES Nestopia core to 512x240 I get line doubling and shimmering on vertical scrolling. I’ve attached a photo hopefully so you can see? Those bushes shouldn’t have those notches, they certainly don’t when i select 512X224

New photo by Paul Barnard

I’ve tested with Rygar and Super Mario Bros. Am I doing something wrong or are there 512x224 games to take into account on the NES?

I’m using a PAL Wii on a PAL CRT.

Do you have crop overscan enabled? This core only needs 512x480 to work and crop overscan changes it to something else.

[QUOTE=barnard;33479]If I set the NES Nestopia core to 512x240 I get line doubling and shimmering on vertical scrolling. I’ve attached a photo hopefully so you can see? Those bushes shouldn’t have those notches, they certainly don’t when i select 512X224

New photo by Paul Barnard

I’ve tested with Rygar and Super Mario Bros. Am I doing something wrong or are there 512x224 games to take into account on the NES?

I’m using a PAL Wii on a PAL CRT.[/QUOTE]

This only occurs when setting a 240p video mode, in this case 512x240. But there’s a simple setting in the nestopia core options. Go to quick menu, core options and disable mask overscan (vertical). The game will restart automatically and that’s all, perfect pixel for NES games.

Disabling crop overscan only works for the fceumm core and Quicknes, for Nestopia is not necessary.