Request: iNES Mapper 30 support?

Joe Granato of http://thenew8bitheroes.com/ just released an NES homebrew demo called Mystic Origins which is a kind of test for his much much bigger NES game Mystic Searches. It uses iNES Mapper 30. https://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/UNROM_512

It works on FCEUX on Windows but unfortunately, it doesn’t work on any of the NES emulation cores for RetroArch at present.

It would be really nice to support this mapper because it’s not just for this one game. Granato is releasing a tool called NESmaker which people can use to produce lots of NES homebrews using this mapper. Seems like it would be a shame if all the games made for that won’t work on libretro / RetroArch / RetroPie and all that good stuff.

What would be the best way to do this? Maybe try to convert FCEUX into being a libretro core somehow?

The easiest thing would probably be to backport it from FCEUX, like we did for mapper 190 for Magic Kid Goo Goo. I’ll take a look at it today.

2 Likes

That would be awesome! Thanks!

Hmm, this looks to be outside of my range, unfortunately. I’ll try to rope someone else into it, though.

1 Like

Anything you can do would be much appreciated!

we currently do not have iNES 2.0 rom support in fceumm, nestopia should probably work with this since it supports ines2

1 Like

[quote=“wertz, post:6, topic:9350, full:true”] we currently do not have iNES 2.0 rom support in fceumm, nestopia should probably work with this since it supports ines2 [/quote]I obviously tried every core available. Nestopia says “failed to load content.”

ok did quick backport of ines2 and unrom512, then i just noticed that i dont seem to see the rom download link :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

See the steam page here. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/updates/880758073/1489179977

I got a jar and the rom is inside the jar.

Hope I’m not breaking any rules by sharing this, but its on the public steam page, so it must be ok.

hmmm, turns out the rom is not iNes2 headered so only need port mapper30 would do

but iNES2 really needs to be included, if the core is planned to support more mappers especially for homebrew games. Let me see what i can do as far as by “PR”.

2 Likes

Great! When would we be able to start using this in RetroArch / RetroPie?

dunno, still got a PR pending.

1 Like

Oh. I see your fork on github but not a PR for this. Where is the PR? Was going to subscribe to get email updates fron github. :slight_smile:

what OS do you have? i can probably make one for windows x64 or ubuntu x64, else you probably have to compile yourself. i ddnt submit PR yet regarding the mapper, not have uploaded it to my own git

if you know how to compile yourself, this is the commit that has mapper30(this is an experimental build though as it has options for sound quality and sound rate for some tests i need)

if do not want to compile, you probably just have to wait that someone does update the core.

2 Likes

Yeah I was just wondering as a ballpark estimate how long it usually takes for changes like this to make it upstream so they show up on all versions. I use Windows, Android and RetroPie on Raspberry PI 3.

Sorry for the Off-Topic… but this Mystic Searches project sounds very exciting :smiley: I’m looking forward to trying it out!

I didn’t realize there was an active NES homebrew community. I just found this other one out: http://lizardnes.com/ (demo works fine with FCEUMM) Are there any other examples of good “modern” NES homebrew games?

1 Like

Dpad Hero is a guitar hero style homebrew game for the NES. It also got a sequel called Dpad Hero 2 I think.

Final Fantasy VII got an NES demake from China which was translated into English and expanded to include most of the original game’s story and characters by rom hackers. That one’s probably the biggest NES ROM I’ve played.

Thewit.nes is an NES demake of The Witness by Jonathan Blow. (At least the opening areas)

ROM City Rampage is a super impressive proof-of-concept demo which shows that a game like Retro City Rampage with smooth 4-way scrolling was totally possible on the NES.

1 Like

Oh and if music carts count then there have been a few of those.

MOON8 is a chiptune version of Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon.

“8-BIT MUSIC POWER” is a thing from Japan but I don’t know if anyone’s dumped the ROM.

1 Like

Woah woah !!! Thank you, I really need to check those out, I’m getting every one of them :blush: Very interesting the “making-of” video of ROM City Rampage.

1 Like

Also check out Super Bat Puncher Demo. I hope the author will flesh it out into a full game because the demo is amazing. Great music, responsive controls, metroidvania gameplay, silly humor.

1 Like