RetroArch Beetle PSX - Chrono Cross - Stuttering Issues

Hi everybody. I’m new and this is my 1st post, so I apology in advance if this is not the proper place for this thread.

Well, here’s my problem (I’m posting a video for better explanation):

Description:

As you can see, I’m having stuttering / ‘lag’ issues with video and audio. This happens mainly on videos. In-game it’s completely playable (not this crazy stuttering), although sometimes it does stutter too (in audio mainly). So, I’m posting this video in hope of correcting this. :slight_smile:

Notes:

1. A black ‘tittle row’ can be seen since I’m playing it in windowed mode (I hid the bottom part, the ‘tool bar’, that’s why only the upper part can be seen).

2. Starting from min. 2:30, you can see the current video and audio settings.

3. In ePSXe v2.0.5 emulator, videos at least, can be watched perfectly, so I know that with my specs, in theory, in Beetle PSX it can be run as smooth as that too.

Specs:

Linux Kubuntu 16.04 x64 | Intel® Core™ i3-3210 CPU @ 3.20GHz | GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost | 8 GB Ram | RetroArch: Frontend for libretro – v1.7.1 – 6fc6bfb | Beetle PSX HW 0.9.44.1 8fb566d | Chrono Cross (USA) - SLUS-01041

Thank you :slight_smile:

that looks like you’re just not maintaining 60 fps. Unfortunately, performance with ePSXe is irrelevant, as Beetle-PSX is much more demanding.

Try going to settings > video and turn on the fps display and see if you’re dropping below stead 60 fps.

P.S., I deleted your other, identical topic.

for some strange reason on ubuntu the psx beetle-hw core dont like to run on more that one core, open a terminal and run this command:

taskset 0x00000001 retroarch

with this command retroarch will run only in the first core of your cpu, it will run more smooth while playing with psx beetle cores.

1 Like

Yes, in videos (like the intro as shown in the 1st post), it drops below 60 fps. It constantly varies from 27-45 approx., but in-game, in general, it maintains near 60 (although, in occasions, it drops too, so I get stuttering issues, like I’ve said in the 1st post).

Why does this happen? And, what can I do to fix it?

Thank you for replying.

P.S. Sorry about the doble post you mentioned, it’s just I wasn’t able to read the message the first time, and since I couldn’t see it anywhere nor further messages, I doble posted in case I didn’t do it properly or if some new message is shown in order to read it that time.

The why it happens is pretty simple, your computer isn’t fast enough to maintain 60fps with whatever settings you are using. To fix it you either need a faster computer or to change some settings to try to improve performance.

Have you tried lowering the internal GPU resolution from 8x?

Thank you, mate. This helped a lot, although in videos, now it runs between 40-45 fps. In-game, it runs more smoothly, so I’ll be playing some time to check if it drops some fps again in occasions.

Either way, I read some similar message about Linux on one core before, and in fact, I know for sure about it back from Guild Wars 2 era (although I thought it was only that game), but since I read no real/direct command in this case before, it didn’t help in the end. Btw, is there an option directly from RetroArch (RA) which let me do this in order I don’t have to launch the emulator via terminal every time? (I know I can do it via script, but I want to know if there’s some way to do it via RA).

Before finishing, I wonder if there’s some way I can improve the video fps even more besides the solution already implemented.

Tyvm.

P.S. The previous message (just after yours) was supposed to be shown before your own post, but since no free posting (it has to be approved previously by some staff member), it ended to be shown afterwards. ¬¬

Update: After some playing, with my specs, I need to say (in case others have the same issue) that:

taskset 0x00000001 retroarch + Internal GPU Resolution at 4x

Is the way to go. It runs smooth all the time (with maybe few exceptions), in-game and in videos.

Greetings and thank you.

2 Likes