RetroArch closed/crash with Mednafen PSX (C++ Error)

Hello I post here because I meet one (or more) problems with mednafen PSX! on the last stable build !

When i launch the .cue (properly edited i think) my RetroArch crash !

And i’ve this Error :

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: *:*\RetroArch\retroarch.exe

This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application’s support team for more information.

Where I don’t understand, is that I think all the C ++ drivers was installed.

I’ve even reinstalled but the problem persists…

And I have no problems with other system (SNES, Genesis, NES, everything works normally…) ???

I’m on Windows 10 Pro 64bits

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can you try running from a command line: retroarch_debug.exe --menu --verbose This will print the actual errors to the console window. It should be more informative than the C++ runtime error.

Since I just had the same issue, make sure that your System/BIOS dir path points to the correct directory (the one that contains your psx bios files) and that the bios files have the name/data that mednafen expects.

Would be nice if this could be fixed to not only prevent the crash but also inform the user of what went wrong (outside of the console log, perhaps over the OSD if possible?)

I’ve found to solve my problem!

I’ve run “retroarch_debug.exe” and I saw just an error in the window, on a missing BIOS ! (for once : “SCPH5501.BIN”)

I’ve search on google “SCPH5501.BIN” and i’ve found a pack of all PS1 BIOS.

I import everything in the “bios” folder, and after my games has wanted to start !!!

:smiley:

Kiss !

#Retrogaming #<3

Yeah, better error handling/reporting would be great. We haven’t been able to figure out a good way to do it, though, since a core crash brings the whole thing down with it.

That’s why I came on You’r forum !

And if I have other problem with RetroArch I would stay here !

RetroArch is very cool ! :slight_smile:

Glad you like it :slight_smile:

I’m glad you were able to find/resolve your issue, too!

Now I have another problem ! x)

I have 6 games on my Playstation folder and 2 starts properly, the 4 others stay on a black screen, but no software crash !?

For the exemple :

This .cue work !

FILE “RC Helicopter [SLUS-01376].bin” BINARY TRACK 01 MODE2/2352 INDEX 01 00:00:00

This .cue doesn’t work !

FILE “Castlevania-Symphony of the night.bin” BINARY TRACK 01 MODE2/2352 INDEX 01 00:00:00 TRACK 02 AUDIO PREGAP 00:02:00 INDEX 01 50:52:49

This .cue doesn’t work too !

FILE “Alundra [SLES-01198].bin” BINARY TRACK 01 MODE2/2352 INDEX 01 00:00:00

An idea ? :confused:

I’ve found again !

1. I’ve launch a .cue which stayed on the black screen

2. And i’ve opened the RetroArch Interface ( “F1” by defaut)

3. I went to the menu “options”

4. And just turn “ON” on the line “Skip BIOS” !

After that, all my games have kindly start :smiley:

Enjoy !

When you’re at the black screen, go into the menu, go to ‘options’ and make sure that ‘skip bios’ is disabled. It breaks some games, including SotN, apparently.

I’ve precisely solved my problem after you activate the “skip BIOS” ?

So ?!? :frowning:

EDIT : After some tests, I have no worries, even about “Castlevania - Symphony of the Night” and many others games… Evrything OK for me !

I’ve precisely solved my problem after you activate the “skip BIOS”?

So ? :frowning:

Hmm. Dunno. I got black screens when it was enabled, you get them when it’s disabled… YMMV, I guess :stuck_out_tongue:

YMMV ?

Sorry i’m french, forgive my ignorance for UK/US expressions ! :slight_smile:

“your mileage may vary.” It just means “your experience may differ from mine” :slight_smile:

Okay ! ^^

As a bonus, I would sleep less silly tonight ! :smiley:

I went through all 70 of my games when I was testing pbp support and all of them work fine with skip BIOS on. Including the Japanese SOTN with a fan translation patch and the original NTSC-U release. Some games sit on a black screen for a few seconds before they show anything. It’s still faster than waiting through the BIOS logos.

I think there’s only one or two games that lock up with skip BIOS on. SaGa Frontier is the only one I know of.

Hi everyone,

I’m digging up this threat because i’m having the same issue.

All my games work great with hyperspin launching retroarch with mednafen psx libretro core (even though it show beetle psx in retroarch). Those games come from the BOLT-ON hyperspin pack.

The problem is for “Oddworld - Abe’s Oddysee (USA)”. I get the following message:

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

(Blank, doesn’t say wich program)

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application’s support team for more information."

The weird thing is i can launch all these roms from epsxe2.05 without any problem. I have placed all the bios files i use with epsxe in retroarch’s system folder, which is correctly set up in retroarch. I read that mednafen psx uses scph5500.bin, scph5501.bin and scph5502.bin, but epsxe uses the PSX - SCPH101.BIN .

Any idea? I’m kinda lost with the cores, the bios, rocketlauncher’s modules and their options. I’ve set up a lot of system in hyperspin with lots of different emulators but i just know what i need to make it work. Here i’m lost and didn’t find any alternative. Except making an exception in rocketlauncher for this game and launching it with epsxe. But i prefer RetroArch since i use it for many differents systems and it can have per game config (for games that don’t support analog or multitap)

Thanks a lot already for your help.

First thing to try would be finding a different, known-good dump of the game in bin/cue format, preferably one that matches Redump’s databases.

I know that game should work because others have complained about having issues changing discs on it. So, it may be better just to set up an exception to use ePSXe for it.

Thanks for the answer. I’ll look for a different version.

I usually get them from [edited to remove romsite reference] but they never are under bin and cue format.

Ok, i got it from [edited to remove romsite reference] under ecm format, i unecm’ed it with unecm found here http://theisozone.com/downloads/playstation/tools/unecm/ it gave me a bin file, i created a cue file for it (just copied one from an other game and renamed and edited it to the oddworld bin file)

It didn’t work, but THEN, i set skip_bios on enabled and after a few seconds blackscreen, it loads.

I don’t get why emuparadise doesn’t use iso or bin files since it looks like epsxe and retroarch (mednafen) only (or mostly) use those.

Can i make iso of those files so i can have the same romset for recalbox or retropie (that seems to ask iso) ??