RetroArch for macOS from source crashes instantly when mouse moved

When compiling bleeding edge source in Xcode on MacOS 10.13.2 on my MacBook Pro 9,2 (2012, non-retina), arrow key movement is ignored, and any mouse or trackpad movement crashes RetroArch UI at ui_cocoa.m, function sendEvent at line 133. Exact error is Exc_bad_access (code=1, address=0xd3). I suspect bad variable data:

self	RApplication *	0x6040001007e0	0x00006040001007e0
_cmd	SEL	"sendEvent:"	0x00007fff3334b3b2
event	NSEvent *	0x600000124060	0x0000600000124060
event_type	NSEventType	NSEventTypeMouseMoved
apple	cocoa_input_data_t *	0xffffffffffffffff
pos	NSPoint	(x = 5.2285976808445725E-310, y = 0)	
mouse_pos	NSPoint	(x = 0, y = 5.2285977003811139E-310)	

Those variables are a sample of just one crash, but I do notice every time, that variable ā€œappleā€ seems to always have the same value. Iā€™m not certain about the others.

Also, semi related: Is this a good way to communicate crashes and bug reports, or is there a ā€œpreferredā€ method?

Crash reports like this are usually better off on the RetroArch repo at Github. It makes sense for people to report typical issues here first, since most crashes are caused by cores and/or user-error and tech support belongs here rather than there, but this is clearly bug behavior and should go straight to the issue tracker.

Done: GitHub Issue 6092

I believe it was Einstein who mentioned only 2 things being infinite. The problem was a simple config file corruption, or similar. When I moved my config file out of `/Library/Application Support/RetroArch to my desktop, then RetroArch worked fineā€¦

I am having the same problem almost . I open retro arch it works for the first time . I close it then reopen and it crashes as soon as i click on the Retro arch screen ever time even if i re-download it IDK what to do , I just joined today because this problem is driving me crazy and i have no clue on what to do , all the links on this page do nothing to help me , so Im wondering what i should do , I played one game and now i cant do any thing at all , I says Retro Arch has closed unexpectedly every time but if i open it and do nothing it runs the background moves but as soon as i move my mouse it closes .

The same thing is happening to me. I am on Mac OS Mojave and have the latest Retroarch Metal2 installed and every time I launch the application it crashes instantly. I have been unable to use it and it is so frustrating and nobody have looked everywhere for a solution. In addition, downloading a nightly build tells me it is an incomplete or broken application and I cannot launch it.

To those having this issue, try this - Open Terminal App in utilities, and type or copy ā€˜nā€™ paste the following:

mv ~/Library/Application\ Support/RetroArch/config/retroarch.cfg ~/Desktop/

Then rerun RetroArch. If this fixes the issue, then you may safely delete the retroarch.cfg file from your desktop. The terminal command simply moves the main config file for RetroArch from its usual location to your desktop. Although youā€™re certainly entitled to delete the file outright from the get-go, itā€™s safer to just move it out of the way initially, in case you need to compare it later.

Note: That config file holds all of your customized settings. If you delete or move it, RetroArch will create a new one with default settings the next time you run it. Sometimes, we make changes to the settings, and an incompatible setting in the config file can cause RetroArch to crash.

Hope that helps.

1 Like