"RetroArch Menu" button unconfigurable by design?

There’s the L3+R3 (configurable) Combo for “controllers without a menu button”. But what about controllers that do have multiple “spare” buttons that could act like the menu. Why is the menu button not configurable at all?

I just noticed this as my PS4 Dualshock4 controllers would autoconfig badly (repeated keys etc, there’s a thread on the Lakka side). I now have them working with manual configuration, but now the PS-button doesn’t work. I have to use the L3+R3 combo to bring up the retroarch menu in-game. Why can’t I bind the PS-button manually to act as a menu button (or the clicky touchpad for that matter). The menu button just isn’t anywhere on the list for configurable buttons.

Is this be design and if it is, what’s the reason we can’t config that to any button desired?

EDIT: Ok more weird, there is actually an option for this in the config files input_menu_toggle_btn = "". So why is this not bindable in the Input menu itself? (using xmb on Lakka 2.1 x86_64)

It’s in the settings > input > hotkey binds menu, down at the very bottom, IIRC.

I could use that as home button on a PS3 gamepad in older Retroarch versions, in the latest builds, the home button won’t work, it does for systems that use my older configs though, am I missing something?

@hunterk - Yes, yes it probably is. But it is “system-wide”, you cannot (as far as I can tell) bind it per-controller basis, like you can do with every other button.

@aorin1 - Yes you can even now, IF retroarch autoconfigs is. If you manually bind it, there is no options to bind “menu” to any button. Only the four “main” buttons, select, start, triggers, shoulders, sticks and axis. No option to bind “menu” for manual configuration.

Funnily enough it works 100% if you ssh to lakka, stop retroarch and edit the config for said controller and add that “input_menu_toggle_btn” for a button that you want.

It’s just that there are no menu options to configure said button. Oversight, perhaps? Or just a “sh*t I forgot that” :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree, the option of menu button should be configured per gamepad in addition to the one in the hotkey menu.

In my opinion both are needed, but they accomplish a different thing. The one that @anon24419061 points out, is just for choosing what configured button brings up the menu, be it PS, or L1, or A or anything. The one I’m talking about allows us to choose what “PS (btn)” is in the first place.

As in, the one in the Input Hotkey Binds -menu points to a mapped control and the other is actually mapping the buttons to physical controls.

What I’m talking about is mapping physical “button 000” to correspond to an “alias” (if you will) of “MENU (btn)”.

What @anon24419061 is talking is mapping a function “Bring up in-game menu” to an alias “MENU (btn)”.

For a perfectly functioning controller, BOTH are needed.

I can’t explain it more clearly that this, I’m sorry.

Maybe you could try the same I did yesterday, I removed the old config for the few cores I was having problems with (regarding the home button), I updated to the latest nightly, opened a content for each of the cores I needed to bind home for, it worked.

so two lines, in the same file, in the same format, doing the exact same thing are completely different things?

input_menu_toggle_btn = "10"
input_y_btn = "3"

So those two, while being in the same file and doing the exact same thing (mapping a physical controller button) are still entirely different things and while the other can be configured and saved to the same file, the other must be configured from somewhere else and can’t be saved to that same file.

Excuse me for saying this, but I don’t wonder anymore why I got confused about this.

I’m sorry I tried. Obviously this product is not for me since I don’t conform to the ideals of the developers (and dare to change my joypad order once in awhile) and didn’t understand that two almost identical things in the same file are completely different things after all and cannot be adjusted in the same way.

I can find the door myself.

1 Like