Retroarch segmentation fault, with "Threaded video"

I’m running Ubuntu 18.04 and have installed (and re-installed again and again…) the “snap” version of Retroarch from the “Ubuntu Software” app.

When I enable “threaded video” (to fix my sound popping) - it works fine for that session, it appears to restart its display window, and I can continue playing, and my sound popping goes away.

But the next time I start it, it closes immediately. Running “retroarch” from the command line shows a simple error “Segmentation fault (core dumped)”

And the only way I can get it working again is to uninstall it and re-install it again.

Until this bug is fixed, where can I find the config file, and what setting do I change to fix the problem?

not sure how often snap packages are updated, better use the PPA testing repo (since your on ubuntu anyways) to get latest nightly or better yet manually compile it.

edit:

• config file is in $HOME/.config/retroarch/retroarch.cfg, unless this was changed by whoever made the package.

I made the snap package. It’s built from the stable release tarball, so it’s possible that any given issue in the stable build may have been fixed in a nightly, which you can indeed get from the PPA. However, the PPA is missing recipes for a number of cores, so there are pros and cons to each.

The snap’s config file is located at ~/snap/retroarch/current/.config/retroarch/retroarch.cfg

1 Like

Thanks guys. Yeah in Ubuntu there is a non-snap version but the feature for downloading cores from within the interface is non-functional…

Thanks @hunterk, if I manually set video_threaded = “false” I’m able to start Retroach again without re-installing it.

1 Like

If you are using Nvidia graphic card, it is a known issue.

Indeed I am. Glad to know it’s flagged!