Run NEO GEO CD games on Retroarch (mame_libretro) via RocketLauncher

A-HA!!

See my …/Retroarch/saves/ directory is completely empty! I’ve never had anything in there. So there’s def something configured differently here… just gotta figure out what now…

I did try copying my mame configs from arcade to the saves dir, but no change sadly :frowning:

EUREKA!!!

So I got to thinking, and I’ve ALWAYS turned on the options in Options>Saving to put my saves and savestates in my content directory! So I isolated those two lines, and put a core override for MAME like so:

savestates_in_content_dir = "false"
savefiles_in_content_dir = "false"

Then put my existing MAME config in the save dir and BOOM!!! IT’S ALIVE!!! lightning strikes and thunder crashes MWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Ok, but seriously though, that completely fixed the issue. So, for some reason, the Neo Geo CD setup via mame get’s confused about where it’s supposed to read/write the cfg files to if ‘save to content dir’ options are enabled.

I NEVER would have figured that out without your guys help. Like, it never would have occured to me the cfg files were being handled as saves.

Now I need to actually sit down and curate this set of games. I’m missing a bunch of random ones lol

Again though, thanks guys. :smiley:

1 Like

This could be a bug that would sooner or later frustrate many people. Consider logging an issue.

I keep meaning to start dabbling with MAME-git but I also keep getting into side projects with the older MAME cores. :man_shrugging:

How would one ‘log an issue’? I figured the best I could do was point it out here in case it was a bug.

Certainly seems like an unusual behavior lol it screwed with me for at least a year.

I’m sorry I jumped into some jargon.

libretro uses the ‘github’ service to keep track of its code as well as to add features and fix bugs.

For example, here is the RetroArch github repository: https://github.com/libretro/retroarch/

To log an issue, you should check out these two links and then post a new “Issue” there with your RetroArch log and a description of what happens:

Ah yes I always forget about those new saving options. I leave as much stuff on default as possible just seems easier to deal with and simpler troubleshooting

As a sidenote, the fbalpha core now runs neogeo cd, see the repository readme for more informations.

5 Likes

:grinning::star_struck::v:t2:

FB Alpha doesn’t support chd apparently.

So I tried this method, and had some weird results. First let me say I like keeping a separate cfg file for each console. They are named after one. Here are some of my trials.

1. retroarch.cfg, Load Retroarch, Load MAME Core, Load CHD. RESULT = Black Screen

2. SNK Neo Geo CD.cfg, Load Retroarch, Load MAME Core, Load CHD. RESULT = Crash

3. retroarch.cfg, Load RocketLauncher, Load Game. RESULT = Game starts, but in background, have to alt tab to bring it to front.

4. SNK Neo Geo CD.cfg, Load RocketLauncher, Load Game. RESULT = Crash

So there we go, nothing seems to work exactly as it should. I find it odd that whenever I save a config under the console name seems to crash it every time.

I tried it here and it ran like a dream.

Using a cmd file with: neocdz -cdrom “/Games/Romz/MESS/Software/NeoCDz/Puzzle Bobble (ngcd-083e).chd” -rp /Games/Romz/MESS/bios/

I would appreciate if you could help me get this going. I finally got some chd files and I set it up as you described in your first post but when the MAME screen pops up RA freezes.

Do you have a Link for it Mate as I can’t find any in the Documentation area on Homepage

Go into the core updater. It’s near the top.

Theres a guide here [Guide] Play Neo Geo CD ISO games using FBAlpha

1 Like

I read that. I don’t have isos. I have bin/cue and another set of chd.

1 Like

I have the ISO and .Cue version and ISO Ones only 1 Works but has no Background Music just Sound Effects

Also can’t get the CHD Versions to load.

If you’re using CHDs, you can use MAME and also follow the guide here, there is an example included on Neo Geo CD

1 Like

I will give that a Go

Well I have now tried bin/cue, iso, and chd and have yet to be able to get this to work. If anyone else could chime in that would be great. I have been wanting to play these games for a while now and I like RA cores because they have save states.

Thank you.