Save core overrides doesn't save save file and state directories

Basically what the title says: If I change the save file or state directories and then “save core overrides”, the setting doesn’t get added to the cfg file. I have to manually add it myself, and then everytime I make a change and save, it completely overrides what I did.

Am I doing something wrong? I’m on the x64 app if that matters.

But the config isn’t being loaded on the fly, is it?

Yes it is, when you load an override it’s done when the content is loaded. So RA is running with it’s normal config and then the overrides are applied when you start the game.

TBH I haven’t looked much into this one particular issue recently because I did look at it a lot back when I first implemented overrides. I was so frustrated and annoyed by this that I added these other options:

It was easier, cleaner although obviously not perfect for every use case.

I see. That’s a shame. It really hurts the usability. This, with the fact that the overlays aren’t customizable are the two main disadvantages of RA on Android IMO.

No. I want rhem separate so I can sync them via Dropbox and use them on multiple devices.

EDIT: yes, they don’t strictly NEED to be separate for that, but it’s much easier to manage like this.

I do just that by just choosing a savedirectory in my Dropbox in “Settings > Directory” for Savefiles and Savestates. It works well.

Don’t forget that if you have multiple games with the same name across several platforms, the saves will override each other. That’s pretty bad.

If you turn on “Save files in folders” the saves will be sorted in folders based on the core, so what you describe will not happen.

Save files in folders will put them with the roms won’t it? That way I cant sync them with Dropbox because it will sync the roms too.

No, it creates folders inside your main saves folder named for the core. Give it a shot.

Oh, that sounds like what I want. I don’t understand how it’s different to explicitly setting the folders, but if it works it works. Is it available on Android too? EDIT: where’s the option located?

settings > saving > sort saves in folders

settings > user interface > show advanced settings

I think it works! Just what I wanted. Thanks everyone!

2 Likes

Ok, so it’s a bump and I’m not sure it’s allowed, but I just wanted to add a small caveat: In cores like Genesis Plus GX, that play multiple consoles, save states for games with the same name get overriden. For example, there’s Sonic the Hedgehog on Genesis and Game Gear. Maybe I should rename all of my roms to include the platform, but that would be tedious.

EDIT: Also something I just found out: beetle’s PSX HW core saves to “beetle PSX” without hw (just on Android, pc puts it the hw folder),so I need to manually put the files there if I want to transfer saves.