SCUMMVM being picky about kyra.dat file

Copypasted from my Github issue:

Games using the Kyra engine and thus relying on the kyra.dat file won’t launch, whether kyra.dat is in the game directory, RA’s system dir, system/scummvm, or system/scummvm/extra.

I’ll gladly provide any info that might help in solving this issue.

Can you post a log of a failure?

This is with the kyra.dat provided by the ScummVM team themselves. It is placed in all previously mentioned folders simultaneously.

Edit I am not sure what to do with the garbage text in the log. Running .\retroarch.exe --log-file .\retroarch-log.txt -v only got me to the command line, and I had to run .\retroarch.exe separately from there to launch. The output wasn’t saved to a log file either, so I just grabbed the text straight from the PowerShell window.

Edit2 I tried replacing all instances of the file with this one, but ended up with the same results.

Did anyone find a solution to this?

AFAIK it just works now, and has for a long time. If it doesn’t, I would bet you’ve got the kyra.dat in the wrong folder. Experiment.

I’ve the updated scummvm core in retroarch. I have the newest kyra.dat from their github. I put it in system and in diff game folder like EOB example. All these games work fine on standalone scummvm but don’t in retroarch. Any help or suggestions?

could be related.

I understand and that’s fine if the answer is it doesn’t work right now. I am fine with that and understandable. But if it works and I am just doing something wrong. I would to have that understanding, how.

I’m sorry, all the games that require KYRA.dat are working now you just need to 2.1.1 version of the KYRA.dat file. The one from ScummVM is newer and doesn’t work with RA.

2 Likes