So how goes the progress on cheat support for GBA emulators?

I’ve read that many have issues with cheats on GBA emulators. So far, i’ve had no other issues with retroarch other than this small thing. The main think i want to do is be able to use game shark codes for Pokemon emerald and maybe other games in the future. Here’s my experience with emulators running the game and trying to get cheats to work. All this with the same rom of Pokemon emerald:

-gpSP: Crashes when opening the rom, goes back to main menu -Mednafen VBA-M: White Screen upon loading the rom, i know this has to do with the 64k/128k saving format but no idea how to configure this on retroarch (maybe a bit of help there) -Meteor: Crashes application upon loading the rom, closes completely. -mGBA: Rom works, When loading the cheats and hitting “apply cheat changes” the application crashes to desktop -VBA Next: Rom works, Trying to activate cheats does nothing -VBA-M: Rom works, Trying to activate cheats does nothing

So that’s so far what i’ve experienced with trying to get cheats working in this particular game. I should mention that the cheats i’m trying to get to work are the ones that are downloaded by the content updater inside retroarch. I also tried putting my own codes but no results.

Feel free to share any info or opinions

Thanks for the wonderful write up. Since I’ve declared myself the resident cheat expert, I’ll have to take a look into this. Here’s my thread:

If I’m remembering from way back when I had gpSP on my PSP, that supported cheats natively. VBA supports cheats natively, so its forks should too. I have no idea about Meteor or mGBA. I should be able to write some helper code to get the cheats from RA into the cores for gpSP and VBA, but that’ll have to wait until I’m finished with my not-yet-announced active project currently unrelated to retroarch, or just need a break from it.