Starting with the basics

Hi, I’m having trouble getting Lakka to boot but before I get in to that I’ll give you some background. I’m using a Lenovo R400 laptop (from 2010) originally running vista, mobile st recently windows 10 but now formatted to only run Lakka. The laptop had a faulty screen so I’ve taken that out and am using an external vga monitor. I did this before removing windows so I know the hardware works. Ultimately I will be using a zero delay usb joystick controller but for now I have an aftermarket Xbox controller.

Now to my current problem. I eventually got as far as installing Lakka from a bootable USB. The message said installation complete and to confirm reboot. Now it just gets to the flower screen and sits there. So two questions to start with

1. am I using suitable hardware to build a retro arcade machine? I already made the cabinet.
  2. how do I get past the flower screen?

Once I get past this I will then need to setup WiFi or lan to install games.

Please keep any help simple, I know windows quite well but nothing else. Thanks Kevin

Hi,

First please boot with your usb stick in live mode (default). If the screen keeps displaying the flower screen, you will have to provide some log at least graphic card and Lakka system logs.

But I suspect monitor index is not correct in the configuration file.

Thank you.

Are the logs written on to the usb stock so that I can read them from a different pc? If they are written on to the c drive I think I will have to take it out and read it from a different pc.

Hi. I tried it in live mode and i got the same thing. I reformatted the drive and installed the 64bit version instead, it took a few attempts before it came up with the installer but it did eventually install. I still have the same problem though, it doesn’t matter if i boot from the USB or from the hard drive it just gets to the flower screen and hangs there.

How do i create / access the log files? I tried the command given in option B creating a log file but it returned a message the file didn’t exist (or something like that). Even if it had worked it sounds like an SCP file transfer to get to it isn’t going to be easy.

I normally have the patience of a saint but this is really frustrating me, i expected it to be simple. Should it be?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Hi,

If your station is connected by ethernet please boot with live ssh. Then please read the documentation how to get some log. After you can copy the log using Filezilla or WinSCP.

I know it is not straightforward but we will try to improve this part to get log automatically.

Hi, I didn’t have time to check this last night but I did try installing Ubuntu it also failed to install it got quite a long way through before an error message suggested a dvd writer or hard disk fault. I replace the Hde with a good ssd but had the same problem. Internet research says the problem is most likely a ram fault that Linux picks up but windows doesn’t. Tonight I will try with different ram if I can get some.

So my Lakka question is could it be failing due to the same fault?

Thanks Kevin.

Hi,

Did try to launch memtest86 from Ubuntu live usb to check if your ram is ok ?

Thank you.