Stereoscopic 3D games on Android VR?

Stereoscopic 3D classic video games were a thing. They should be playable in 3D by running RetroArch and putting your phone into a VR headset.

By my count, there are 9 games for the Famicom 3D System on the NES, 8 games for SegaScope 3D on the Master System and 22 games for the Virtual Boy.

Some very clever people have managed to get stereoscopic support for the Virtual Boy already by using a shader. That’s awesome!

But what about the 17 remaining games? Those use active shutter glasses, which I’m betting RetroArch should be able to emulate for VR headsets with a few code tweaks.

All the active shutter glasses do is block out one eye at a time. From a 60 FPS game on the TV, they show one frame to the left eye while the right eye is blacked out, then show the next frame to the right eye while the left eye is blacked out, then switch back, so that each eye gets to see the game running at 30 FPS. That’s all RetroArch should have to do to make these games playable in 3D on Android VR headsets.

Anyone have any insight into this idea? What would be the steps towards getting this to work?

I’d really like to see this stuff working on Oculus Quest as well.