What happened to Parallel N64 (blurry screen)

While I was updating my old retorach install & cores eventually I came to Parallel N64 and OMG what happened here take a look at these screenshots the first one is the old version ( from retroarch 1.7.0) and the second is the new version (from retroarch 1.7.5).

So ya the colors in screenshots won’t come out right when using the new version but that’s the least of the problems look at how blurry it is. I tried uping the resolution like I do in the old version but it has almost no effect as oppose to old version were, well you see the difference in the screenshots.

Please don’t tell me this is a case of the developers thinking that a blurry looking screen is more “authentic” and is forcing it onto their users under the assumption that everybody is ok with it (I’ve seen stuff like that before). Please tell me there is just some new setting that I’m missing. As it stands right now the new version is just unusable.

Looks like a RGB <-> BGR mismatch for the colors. For the resolution, ParaLLEl-N64 still lets you increase the internal res unless you’re using the Angrylion gfx plugin, which it defaults to with video drivers other than GL (since the regular glide64 gfx plugin is GL-only).

So, go to settings > driver and make sure you’re using GL. If so, go quick menu > options and set the gfx plugin and RSP plugin to ‘auto’, then ‘close content’ and load it back up to see if it looks any better.

Tried your suggestion nothing also tried manually setting it to other plugins like glide64 and it crashed to desktop.

I have made some discoveries however, in the old version if I switch to this angrylion plugin I see the same blurry image as in the new version but not when using the auto option (which I assume is picking glide64 but might be another). This means the problem is that the new version is incapable of using any gfx plugin other than angrylion even when I’m using the gl video driver.

Angrylion will always look blurry because it’s an accuracy based graphics plugin. And since the newer version of ParaLLel has issues with other plugins like you say, you could stick to the older version. ParaLLel doesn’t get many updates anyway, i don’t think there is a huge difference between versions, at least i haven’t noticed any better compatibility with games even if i take the very first release into account.

I would also suggest to use Mupen instead of Parallel, if you aren’t going to use Angrylion. Mupen+GlideN64 may be horribly outdated in RetroArch atm, but it’s still better than Glide64 ParaLLel has. I have tested a ton of games (more than 200 as of now) and there are only 2 or 3 cases where i had to use ParaLLel+Glide64 instead of Mupen+GlideN64 (Glide64 and GlideN64 are different plugins in case you aren’t aware, the naming can be confusing).

So, basically, use Mupen+GlideN64 as default and then ParaLLel+Glide in some edge cases, the overrides will allow you to save these choices per game so you don’t have to use only one core or plugin for everything.

Hmm, the inability to use Glide64 appears to be a new thing. It always worked before. Guess something recent borked it… We’ll look into it.

I just updated the core hours ago and was testing it and noticed the resolution not increasing at all, also, it runs much slower, before it was locked at the game’s framerate with mostly no problems at all, is there any place to get past builds or something like that?

No, we don’t archive old builds anywhere. If you want to use a plugin other than angrylion between now and us fixing the issue, just use mupen64plus core instead.

I’ll use the Mupen core for now, Angrylion + cd4x or something like that doesn’t run too well even with my 4790, thanks!

By default I use mupen but N64 emulation being what it is there is no one emulator to rule them all. For example the game Bassmasters 2000 works best on Parallel but 007 the world is not enough is best played on PJ64 2.1 and rogue squadron works the most on mupen. So I really do want all the emulators working right to maximize my N64 emulation experience. I hope one day N64 emulation can be were the likes of psx and saturn emulation is at but that is a long ways away.

Carlhr93 here is a link to the old version I’m using right now hope it helps you and anybody else having this problem, it will work on the newer retroarch thankfully just override the file in the cores folder.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1idrIZDT45hB0d44ZRrH5KpcbxH-WCiuo

let me know if i messed up the upload at all.

Thank you very much, sir.

Always have a backup of your previous cores. I keep at least 3 different versions. Some newer versions of cores are busted, PPSSPP for instance has terrible input lag and you need an older build from 6 months ago or something to have a proper one.