Why is needed to specify the playlist name for each entry?

I’m reading the documentation available at https://docs.libretro.com/guides/roms-playlists-thumbnails/. May I ask you a question about the playlist file format used by RetroArch ?

Say for example that we’re working on a N64 playlist named “Nintendo - Nintendo 64.lpl”. When you wrote an entry for a game, like for example this one:

1. /storage/roms/n64/Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time (USA).n64
2. Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time (USA)
3. /tmp/cores/mupen64plus_libretro.so
4. Nintendo 64 (Mupen64Plus)
5. EC95702D|crc
6. Nintendo - Nintendo 64.lpl

I always asked what’s the meaning of the last parameter, alas the name of the current playlist file. I can suppose that there’s a good reason for having this parameter repeated over and over, but I can’t imagine which is it. Could you tell me why is needed to enter the name of the playlist file for each entry?

Thanks

Maybe that’s just how the program tells it’s the end of an entry? Like how in programming you use semi-colons, parentheses and other indicators to tell the computer where to stop reading for a certain function or statement. That would make sense because you can leave line five empty and line four can be anything you want. It would get confusing for the program to figure out what is the end of a playlist entry without it, imho.

1 Like