Windows Command Line isn't recognizing spaces?

I’ve been having a setup meltdown this weekend and I’m trying to get everything back up and running. For the most part I’ve just zeroed everything out and have gone back to square one.

I’m trying to load up games in MAME, and as soon as I turn on “boot from cli” in core options (which I need in order to play Philips CD-i or Neo Geo CD) everything falls apart.

Running a log I noticed this line when trying to load a game:

[libretro INFO] Starting game from command line:W:\Games\Philips\Philips CD-i\Legend of Zelda, The - Link & The Faces of Evil.chd
[libretro INFO] ARGUV[0]=W:\Games\Philips\Philips
[libretro WARN] Driver W:\Games\Philips\Philips not found -1
[libretro WARN] Game not found: Evil
[libretro INFO] RES:-2

So, right away it’s really odd it just cuts off after “Philips”. I decided to try removing the space and got this:

[libretro INFO] Starting game from command line:W:\Games\Philips\PhilipsCD-i\Legend of Zelda, The - Link & The Faces of Evil.chd
[libretro INFO] ARGUV[0]=W:\Games\Philips\PhilipsCD-i\Legend
[libretro WARN] Driver W:\Games\Philips\PhilipsCD-i\Legend not found -1
[libretro WARN] Game not found: Evil
[libretro INFO] RES:-2

AHHHHAAAAA!

So clearly CLI is struggling with spaces. The question is… “why now, all of a sudden?” I’ve had my files in this folder/naming structure for years now. I’ve been able to load the Philips CD-i stuff via MAME’s core this way without this issue. It was literally working earlier today. Thing is, even restoring some of my backups this same behavior is happening.

Have I somehow changed something in Windows itself? I can’t even begin to fathom why a space would suddenly throw the entire thing off this badly. Please help. I’m going simply mad with frustration trying to solve this one. Starting to crave coco-puffs I’m going so coo-coo.

Nevermind. I’m an idiot. Please ignore.

As always, I will work on something all day and finally throw up my hands and make a post, and 5 seconds later I figure it out. I don’t know how I got this curse, but here we are.

The problem was I was testing these games directly through RetroArch instead of launching them via RocketLauncher which sends the command lines to RA with the quotes, which of course is how spaces work in CLI…

FML

1 Like