Xbox 360 RetroArch development

From http://www.libretro.com/index.php/retroarch-1-2-july-4-release-kickoff/

• The only exception to this release promise is the Xbox 360 port. I have been routinely screwed and scammed by the ‘underground’ console hacking scene and right now I’m sitting on this paperweight RGH Xbox 360 that is useless for development, so that port is on indefinite hold until somebody can get me either the XDK back that I gave somebody in good confidence that it would go to Ced2901 (but it never did apparently), and I presume the guy I gave it to just hoarded it. or we can get a replacement for it. I won’t mention names but the guy who took my XDK and never gave it to the person he said he was going to give it to knows who he is. Anyway, if you guys still consider this Xbox 360 version important, let me know but I’m not going to go and take money out of my own coffers again to make that happen. I’m done with the console scene shenanigans.

I was sorry to hear about your problems with the Xbox 360 version. I recently have RGH’d my Xbox 360 and RetroArch was one of the things I was looking forward to using on it.

I don’t know exactly whether an XDK is software or hardware, or what it’s worth, but assuming you cannot get it back, maybe you can ask for donations for a new one? If you detailed and costed what you needed, hopefully people will be willing to chip in and help.

But I think with an RGH its possible to flash devit nand.

http://www.homebrew-connection.org/rgloader-tutorial-how-to-build-a-devkit-nand-for-your-rghjtag-xbox/

Really sad about this news. I came almost all days to see some good stuff on retroarch 360. sad day for x360 scene :frowning:

Hi, I never asked for a 360, I’m retired from 360 since 2 years … so i don’t know where this shit came from ?

Btw: you don’t need a devkit to work on 360, i never had a devkit… devkit@retail are possible

Ps: And i agree with “I’m done with the console scene shenanigans.”

[QUOTE=ced2911;29725]Hi, I never asked for a 360, I’m retired from 360 since 2 years … so i don’t know where this shit came from ?

Btw: you don’t need a devkit to work on 360, i never had a devkit… devkit@retail are possible

Ps: And i agree with “I’m done with the console scene shenanigans.”[/QUOTE]

I don’t know either. Anyway, sorry for dragging you into this I guess, I just told everybody what that guy who took my XDK told me himself. Let me clear this up: I am not accusing you of anything or involving you in anything, my misgrievances are with nobody but the guy who took the XDK in under what has now proven to be false pretenses. So I guess he just used your name to have some kind of legit cover for him appropriating that XDK.

Regarding the Slim 360 I have now, if you’d want to help me setting this up so it can be used for development, sure, let me know. I hang around on #retroarch on freenode. I’d still like to be able to develop on 360 but this RGH’ed Slim is quite hard to even get to boot, and when it does I don’t know how to proceed. I think last time I got into contact with JPizzle we flashed something onto it but I can no longer really deploy code to it.

@Twinaphex It’s great to read that RetroArch development on 360 may continue, if you can get help with your RGH console. I can’t help you myself, but I have posted on RealModScene, which seems like quite a friendly Xbox 360 homebrew scene site, to see if anyone there can help you. See http://www.realmodscene.com/index.php?/topic/6161-retroarch-360-can-anyone-help-with-its-development/

You might also want to reach out to cmkn_1983, current developer of a standalone version of PCSXR for Xbox 360 who seems to be working on an unofficial version of RetroArch 0.9.8 - see http://ks3372552.kimsufi.com/smf/index.php/topic,68.0.html and http://ks3372552.kimsufi.com/smf/index.php/topic,73.0.html

[QUOTE=pelago;29768]@Twinaphex It’s great to read that RetroArch development on 360 may continue, if you can get help with your RGH console. I can’t help you myself, but I have posted on RealModScene, which seems like quite a friendly Xbox 360 homebrew scene site, to see if anyone there can help you. See http://www.realmodscene.com/index.php?/topic/6161-retroarch-360-can-anyone-help-with-its-development/

You might also want to reach out to cmkn_1983, current developer of a standalone version of PCSXR for Xbox 360 who seems to be working on an unofficial version of RetroArch 0.9.8 - see http://ks3372552.kimsufi.com/smf/index.php/topic,68.0.html and http://ks3372552.kimsufi.com/smf/index.php/topic,73.0.html[/QUOTE]

That guy Swizzy in there that made that response is a liar BTW, a bad liar at that. He committed some files to the RetroArch repository (some big-ass image files which were over 10MB or so, great idea to contribute to a repository that is supposed to be only about code) which had the unfortunate side effect of swelling up the repo size forever due to git history, when I pointed this out to him I guess he got his fragile little ego hurt and invented some reason for no longer contributing. His reason for no longer contributing was some bullshit about 'I have some project now where I’m going to get paid with “REAL MONEY” (he wanted to emphasize that part apparently, as if somehow I should take real note of that or try to match whatever they gave him I suppose). He told me this when I sent him a PM telling him some feature was added that would make life for the RetroArch 360 port a bit easier. I told him that it is no problem if the contributions have to wait for a bit and I literally told him “I don’t care when what gets done when”. That obviously means: take your time, I DO NOT CARE WHEN IT GETS ADDED. It obviously does not mean : “go commit this right away”. But whatever really. If that is supposedly the thing that insulted you to no end, then you cannot comprehend clear English apparently and what you should have done like any reasonable adult is ask for clarification on what I meant by that. And why don’t you just let me know in advance that you took this the wrong way and you feel insulted? Then I could have resolved this and explained to you how you were making a situation over nothing and how you took that comment the wrong way obviously. But you don’t even allow that opportunity. Oh well, if you’re going to be like that, no big loss then. This is a development project, not a group therapy session.

He also told me in some previous conversation over how I should be glad to be “dependent” on guys like him because he owns the hardware (no thanks, you are really not all that important and I did the 360 port just fine before I ever learned of your existence. You should be glad I even merged in the stuff for your Aurora launcher to begin with, I know plenty of other projects who wouldn’t be that open with you).

Also, that same board is where I got into contact with JPIzzle and later on Mattie and how my XDK got ‘appropriated’ under false pretenses to begin with - that it would be sent to ced2911 when the guy just posted in here in this very thread and told you all that he had totally left the scene to begin with, so whatever Mattie told me to get my XDK was a lie to begin with. All in all I have enough bad experiences with those guys so far and years down the line, still no working 360 to develop with. So fuck it. I’m done investing my own money into this crap. If some fortunate contributor wants to change the situation, be my guest. But me investing even more time, money and troubles into this stuff? No thanks. That ‘scene’ really isn’t worth it. I’m done playing Mr. Nice guy and giving it my all for these ‘console scenes’.

Like I said before, I am done with these console scene shenanigans. Most of the people in it are immature and they think that it is you that should be beholden and dependent on them (I better not talk about all the illegal, hacking of commercial servers and counterfeiting stuff that goes on by those 360 devkit suppliers as well, some of which are now in jail BTW because their wanton greed and immorality knew no bounds). Ain’t gonna happen anymore, sorry, your ‘subscene’ is not all that important to me in the long run. Swizzy also committed some threading commits which caused us lots of grief with the Windows port later on. If anything, the only thing I can be faulted on is that I usually merge whatever people send me even when I should have higher code quality standards.

Anyway, Swizzy is a bad liar and he cannot be honest about it. It’s always the same routine with clowns like this: they get their fragile little ego hurt because you dared to make one comment about some commit that might not work for the project, they take it the wrong way, they massively overexaggerate any supposed ‘slight’ they invent in their head,. When this then is made known to me and I want to try to talk to them to see how they could have taken what I said the wrong way and want to talk to them about this and maybe even try to resolve the situation they just want to create some ‘slight’ and leave over some bullshit. No loss then, I don’t think we could have worked nicely together if you’re going to be like that anyway. Ultimately it is OUR project that is left holding the bag after you codedump your stuff and leave, it is US that has to deal with the repercussions of what you commit, so allow me to maybe point some things out that might not work out that well in the long run. Normally I would take this on the chin and just go on my merry way and let people post bad stuff behind my back but frankly I am done with the character assassination and if people are going to disrespect me and talk a lot of crap behind my back then I have a right to give my side of the story as well. When i continually reach out to you guys and want to resolve whatever issues your fragile ego created this time around, don’t then flip it and act like I am the wrong one that treated you wrong and is not being reasonable. It is YOU that decided to be unreasonable then, and you INSIST on being unreasonable to this very day. It is me that wants to talk and resolve issues at all times, it is you that does not. I am not your psychologist or psychiatrist, honestly. If you have issues in your real life and you take stuff the wrong way when no offense was meant at all, guess what? Consult their services. Don’t take it out on me.

Honestly, you can ask anybody how open and reasonable I am when it comes to pull requests and being open to other people’s contributions, so I think if he is going to have a rough time with a guy like me, he won’t ever make it in this software development world.

PS. Also a warning in advance, I am done with any kind of drama and back-and-forth. If I see any posts in here made by the usual suspects in this thread by people coming over from RealModScene or whatever and your post has nothing to do with being contributive and wanting to help, your post will get instantly deleted and you will get banned. Over 5 years, not a single guy in either IRC channels ran by me has ever been banned. If any of these people wants to paint me as some kind of ‘dictator’ or an unreasonable person to begin with, please explain to me how you find the exact opposite policy being in place wherever I conduct development talks. I let people in there troll me and attack me all day long and I still respect their freedom of speech all the same way. I take it on the chin all the time and let myself get accused of all sorts of crap by all these guys that honestly just want there to be a ‘problem’.

However, this might have been a too lax standpoint that might have started interfering with the project in a negative way. When trolling and drama starts interfering with development work and you INSIST on there being no conflict resolution, that is when I will drop down the hammer. I wasted enough time and enough years on petty little drama in these immature scenes as-is, and I’m done dealing with angsty teenage boys with identity issues or manchilds with a premature mid-life crisis. I’m not your psychologist or psychiatrist, if you come at me like a normal person, you will find I am one of the most open guys to be working with. If you come at me with some egotistical stuff and some drama stuff and you cannot handle objective criticism over one of your commits then yeah, we are not going to have a good working relationship. Stuff like this is honestly why I think I’m better off just doing these ports alone, having to deal with crap like this all the time from these people honestly isn’t worth it.

Oh dear, sorry if I opened any old wounds. I had no idea you previously had dealings with the same people I was recommending to you. I hope you manage to get your box booting OK.

Oh dear, sorry if I opened any old wounds. I had no idea you previously had dealings with the very same people I was recommending to you, and I don’t really know much about scenes.

I hope you manage to get you box booting satisfactorily and can restart porting yourself.

[QUOTE=pelago;29792]Oh dear, sorry if I opened any old wounds. I had no idea you previously had dealings with the very same people I was recommending to you, and I don’t really know much about scenes.

I hope you manage to get you box booting satisfactorily and can restart porting yourself.[/QUOTE]

I’m the person he’s referring to above, my personality isn’t compatible with Twinaphex’s, probably it’s mostly on my end that the problem is… idk… anyways, would just like to say that, and Twinaphex don’t appreciate me expressing the way i feel on a public forum, i’ve edited my post in the above mentioned thread to clarify that it’s me expressing my personal experience, everyone don’t mix well with everyone else, that’s just how it is… and i’m sorry about that happening here, and i’m sorry that i even mentioned any of how i felt regarding the time i spent working on this project with Twinaphex, i guess some things you shouldn’t share regarding how you feel with other ppl?

I’m not going to visit this thread again, so there’s no point replying to this message thinking i’ll be reading what you’re saying… if you want to contact me, or have anything to say to me, send me a message on RMS or IRC…

[QUOTE=Swizzy;29801]I’m the person he’s referring to above, my personality isn’t compatible with Twinaphex’s, probably it’s mostly on my end that the problem is… idk… anyways, would just like to say that, and Twinaphex don’t appreciate me expressing the way i feel on a public forum, i’ve edited my post in the above mentioned thread to clarify that it’s me expressing my personal experience, everyone don’t mix well with everyone else, that’s just how it is… and i’m sorry about that happening here, and i’m sorry that i even mentioned any of how i felt regarding the time i spent working on this project with Twinaphex, i guess some things you shouldn’t share regarding how you feel with other ppl?

I’m not going to visit this thread again, so there’s no point replying to this message thinking i’ll be reading what you’re saying… if you want to contact me, or have anything to say to me, send me a message on RMS or IRC…[/QUOTE]

I guess I’ll just be the bigger man and let you post here as well despite the way you wronged me and made up all sorts of allegations as to how I treated you that was not true at all.

Also, I guess I’ll just be the bigger man too and forgive your guy Mattie (whom is a fellow op in the IRC channel you hang around BTW) who stole my XDK from me under false pretenses and never gave it to ced, and meanwhile I’m sitting here with a worthless RGH 360 that doesn’t do jack and doesn’t let me continue development. Nice band of characters you are, nice integrity on your side too for not doing anything to rectify the situation and just go ‘it’s not my problem’.

But I’m the bad guy I get it. I am the big bad guy that treats all you guys oh so wrong. True signs of a narcissist.

I guess this all provides a nice window into the kind of bullshit that goes on in the console scene. It’s endless crybaby bullshit combined with theft and plain robbery.

What is needed donation-wise to restart development?

A 360 I can develop on. I dunno what the guy who exchanged my XDK for this Slim 360 did with his RGH but it seems like some kind of botched install that got botched to the point of where it no longer even works in glitched mode.

Whereabouts are you located? I know a good guy in the UK for RGH installs.

I’d donate whatever amount is needed to get one, but don’t know the specifics of what is needed, so.

Is a modified 360 needed to install RetroArch? or just to do the development work?

[QUOTE=thatcadguy;31252]I’d donate whatever amount is needed to get one, but don’t know the specifics of what is needed, so.

Is a modified 360 needed to install RetroArch? or just to do the development work?[/QUOTE] Yes, you need a 360 capable of running unsigned code, which means one that is running the JTAG or RGH hack, using additional hardware.

What is needed donation-wise to restart development?

I think Twinaphex needs a 360 that can run unsigned code, presumably a RGH or JTAG.

Some programs right now might not yet have a database system in place to allow you to scan said content. Some of the current ones that still need to be addressed are MAME and CD-based systems such as the PlayStation. You will see this rectified in an upcoming RetroArch update.

Hi, i saw some commits on the xbox side of retroarch, to be more specific, on 360. someone know if twinaphex is working again on retroarch 360 ??

if he is working, i would like to say…thanks to him!!!.

It’s been a while since the 360 didn’t receive any update, but i(and probably many other people) are still using . It’s a great frontend with great emus, i’ve no doubt about it.

twinaphex, if you are working again on this, it’s awesome man, thanks. Just take your time, and release a new version when you think that is time to be released. If’s there something that i’ve been learning in this life is about patience and, sometimes we must wait. Thanks again.