4K Vertical Overlay Community Contributions

1942 4K Vertical Overlay

This is the Williams version of the cabinet art, which looks pretty sick IMO. Many thanks to Raspbear on the Mameworld forums for providing the marquee and bezel I used here.

I’ve been experimenting with different approach for the marquee, and was again influenced here by photos of actual cabinets running with this artwork. The color tone seemed to be completely different with the backlight on.

7 Likes

Updated Dragon Blaze overlay

4 Likes

One more iteration on the Dragon Blaze overlay for now. I cleaned up (there were a lot of white specks) the official instruction card found on World of Arcades and put it at the bottom.

Card is here:

4 Likes

Updated Final Fight

Added coin door, removed old branding and tried a new marquee technique.

Large screen updated too:

6 Likes

I was thinking to put together an overlay for Mushihimesama Futari and did a couple marquee designs but I haven’t been able to come up with something I like for the bezel. In the meantime thought I could share the marquees in case someone wants to use them for their own overlay…

4 Likes

Updated Ghouls 'N Ghosts

Removed branding, added coin door, dimmed the bezel and reworked the marquee lighting:

There is also an updated large screen version available.

7 Likes

Thanks, glad you like the marquee! Up there now, along with some others I somehow missed copying :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Bionic Commando

I guess there is a new limit on images requiring they be much less than the 4MB indicated max file size now (even less than 1MB?). So I’m posting from dropbox to continue to share at full resolution. Hopefully this works for people.

7 Likes

Awesome. You’re on a roll! Wonderful work.

1 Like

Just wanted to say I’m a big fan of your overlays, your contributions to the vertical cab art has been second to none - I’m a VFX artist I’ve been doing some myself for several months and finally build a vertical cab to play them on, currently customizing a coin-ops vertical image for my brother and working through console overlays when I saw you’d done these! really nice work - did you upload the nes and Dreamcast to share anywhere? I’m doing a Playstation and N64 too. very interested in sharing my layouts/art and building up/adding to a central resource for these so will get in touch when i have some ‘spare’ time in the next few weeks.

thanks again for the invaluable effort!!

4 Likes

Hey @PapaShine, welcome to the forum :slight_smile: That’s great! If you do this kind of work professionally I can probably learn from you. I’m still learning new techniques and refining my workflow all the time. Feel free to message me if you want to chat about projects and how to share.

@Briball has started putting together a master list of overlays from different creators, but we don’t have a central repo of any kind yet.

I put the dreamcast and NES files out on my share. I somehow forget that step sometimes, sigh.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3xyel02qnchso21/AACNm4h5ysXDkuI9ROUKvIr-a?dl=0

4 Likes

Re: Dragon Blaze…

Beautiful cabinet. But – I cannot for the life of me figure out how to map the controls on this one. TAB key does not access MAME control panel as usual.

Anyone know how to bring up the MAME control panel for this game? Would love to play it! Fantastic graphic work by Ars, as usual.

Zero issues on my end with this one. I’m not using retroarch and just mame .201

1 Like

That did the trick, Dreamstate. Using the mame 2010 core allowed me to select the mame controller configuration menu via tab key. Thanks!

2 Likes

On my xbox360 gamepad (and the 2003-plus core) the mame menu is brought up by L3 (push the left analog stick down… like a button, not the direction). I hate this as a default btw as I randomly activate it on the more busy games.

1 Like

Cyber Police ESWAT 4K Vertical Overlay

Many thanks to Raspbear on the MameWorld forums for the marquee restoration and the bezel recreation here. The original scan was (I believe) sourced from Mr. Do’s site.

Raspbear created this bezel in vector graphics from scratch based on photos he found online of the original bezel. Amazing work!

5 Likes

Double Dragon 4K Vertical Overlay

8 Likes

Double Dragon marquee hi-res scan

I noticed @MrDo had a really good scan of the original Double Dragon marquee that is much better than the marquee I had used on my overlay. I spent a few hours tonight cleaning up the dust and scratches etc. I’ll update the overlay with this marquee soon I hope. But here is the cleaned marquee for anyone that wants it for now for their own overlays:

4 Likes

Updated Double Dragon Overlay

In addition to updating the marquee, every photo of the arcade cabinet I was able to find had a much less saturated color palette for the bezel. So I tweaked that to match the original more closely. Here’s the latest version:

7 Likes

And you changed the speakers. Just noticed.