This was the first time I’ve tried cleaning up something like this so I don’t have a refined workflow or anything like that. Also, one of the tools I used to clean this one up was too invasive and smoothed out the result too much for Mr. Do to consider including the output on his site, so I would take a different approach in the future to avoid that loss of detail.
I’m really just using Photoshop and leveraging the clone stamp, content aware fill, careful brush work and other manual copy/paste type adjustments to clean it up. Along with some compression of the blacks in this case to smooth out the damage to the sky.
If I do more of these I will probably try some different approaches and hopefully obtain a better result next time. For the purposes of my overlay however, I’m very happy with how this came out and it is good enough for that IMO.