Aspect ratio: the original?

Are you sure, would mind backing up your statements? Because everything I say is proved:

I rebuilt RetroArch and Genesis Plus GX and everything seems to be totally fixed; even better than expected. I get proper 1-to-1 pixel mapping at 1.0Ɨ scale (though only after going fullscreen and back to windowed once; extremely minor issue) and 1:1 PAR showing 10:7 DAR.

I tested over the 05-06 build (where my initial report was based on) and also on the latest build from 17-07, and both show 8:7 as 1:1 PAR.

You might have built something with the fix commited 3 days ago, but thereā€™s no build currently that shows this fixed behaviour.

Would you mind explaining what is that issue about? Would that work for current builds?

Iā€™m not sure exactly whatā€™s happened. Ekeeke would know more, but the result is the above. Would you like my builds? Anyway, here you go, in case the answer is yes. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/356 ā€¦ xbuilds.7z

The config format has changed a bit, so youā€™ll have to delete the aspect ratio line in your current config and reconfigure some other stuff, like joypad input and libretro core path for core detection. At least, I had to in order to keep my config. Once changed, though, it worked like a dream.

Yes it works right off the bat. Default is ā€œConfigā€ which Iā€™m not sure what means but matches 1:1 PAR in this case correct 10:7. What I found funny is how my above wrong screenshot dealt with the 8:7. Instead of ā€œscalingā€ it removed some vertical lines, so pixels were still square. I guess thatā€™s what you get with point sampling (no subpixel scaling and hence missing lines).

The good thing to know is that itā€™s fixed, so I will get my hands dirty with config changes once the release an stable release. Hope this fixes the picodrive core too.

The issue you talk about is when starting windowed right? While important itā€™s not something to call home about since I always start fullscreen.

Iā€™m glad we can now play Sega game how they were supposed to be played.

ā€œConfigā€ there means ā€œuse the setting from the currently-loaded .cfg fileā€.

Yeah, also known as nearest neighbor scaling. Like I was saying in my first post in this thread, I use the pixellate.cg to scale pixels as well as they can be scaled.

Yes.

I may be able to fix it myself and submit a pull request, unless it is a more complicated problem than I think.

:slight_smile:

ā€œConfigā€ there means ā€œuse the setting from the currently-loaded .cfg fileā€.[/quote] Just that I hadnā€™t loaded any cfg file. I simply launched RA, and loaded core. Besides normally when you load a cfg file it explicitly says what aspect ratio you have chosen, except if things have changed and now itā€™s a generic ā€œconfigā€.

Yes. Iā€™m into video processing I know what I talk when it comes to ratios, kernels and stuff, simply coding is not my cup of tea (despite always ending with some kind of scripting). By definition nearest neighbour canā€™t do subpixel scaling, even with pixellate. The only way for nearest neighbour to shrink is skipping pixels when you are already on original resolution, I donā€™t know if nearest neighbour in RA canā€™t upsize. It normally could (doubling pixels when 2x, etc). Now I donā€™t know if pixellate adds some kind of subpixel processing, thatā€™s another story.

edit:

Indeed yes, you said it, it adds some subpixel interpolation. Thatā€™s no more point sampling IMO but I wonder how it compares to bilinear.

edit2: Ok yes, I guess what it does is scale to integer resolution, then from that point on use bilinear. I just tested bilinear and itā€™s a bit blurry, so integer scaling before that makes up the job.

Oh man, Lex any chance of a Linux build??

Or is there an easy to follow guide about anywhere on how to compile your own RetroArch build?

A config is loaded at startup.

Thanks, Lex. Your build is working great for me.

[quote=ā€œralphonzoā€]

Thanks, Lex. Your build is working great for me.[/quote]

Nope, I had none because I expressly deleted them.

Thanks, Lex. Your build is working great for me.[/quote]

Nope, I had none because I expressly deleted them.[/quote]

In that case a new one was generated at startup. Point is a configuration is always active if retroarch is running.

Wellā€¦ yeah, that is a givenā€¦ but it doesnā€™t answer what means ā€œconfigā€ in aspect ratio, it isnā€™t either a very useful name to know your current AR.

Thatā€™s true. In RetroArch-Phoenix (and SSNES-Phoenix before the rename), the aspect ratio field just showed what you had in your config file, as it should.

It just means itā€™s using the aspect ratio set in your config file. Putting what that aspect is in parenthesis could be helpful, but since the aspect in your config file is a decimal I bet itā€™d have to show up in RGUI as one too.

Can anyone confirm CPS2ā€™s Marvel Super Heroes is widescreen? Supposedly 12:7 (1:1 PAR) although I find 16:10 a more pleasing ratio. As you might know there are some CPS2 games in widescreen ratio, so Iā€™m wondering if Capcom made games could be too, sometimes they mix up sprites made with different ratios in mind.

Most CPS2 fighters are 12:7 indeed.

Yes AndresSM, we are not talking here about original resolution (384x224), we are talking about correct geometry.

The cabinet was 4:3 if thatā€™s any help

The cabinet was 4:3 if thatā€™s any help[/quote] as were the tvĀ“s we played snes on if thatā€™s any help

With emulation and nice rendering technology, we can go beyond the original hardware if the art is not actually made for it, which it sometimes isnā€™t. Find what is supposed to be a circle, a square, or a human face and youā€™ll be able to easily judge whether the aspect ratio youā€™re using is how the artist(s) intended it to be viewed.

For example, in Sonic 2, the game looks awesome at 1:1 PAR because Sonic is a perfect circle when jumping, even though 1:1 PAR is not 4:3 DAR for that game.