Citra doesnt work on retro arch

I believe this is the pertinent error:

[libretro ERROR] Frontend @ citra_libretro/citra_libretro.cpp:context_reset:376: Glad failed to load (frontend-provided symbols)!

Someone on reddit reported having the same error recently, so I did some searching around and people have it with standalone Citra, as well, but I didn’t see any indication of what would cause it. The only suggestion I saw (and it struck me as a shot-in-the-dark) was “bad roms”.

1 Like

It’s not bad roms though because in recent previous RetroArch builds the same ones load.

I keep a 1 month old build with the same version of the core (core has not been updated for a while anyway) and all roms work. it’s only the newer RetroArch.exe that makes the difference.

seems okay here (linux)

maybe its the windows build

Made a fresh 1.8.2 install on a different PC, with different Windows (10 instead of 7), played with different options (like using vulkan instead of GL), and different Roms.

The results are different alright. Now instead of RetroArch crashing, it freezes and needs to be manually force closed. But when i replace the 1.8.2 exe with an older 1.8.1 exe from a month ago, all roms load fine.

I’m having a similar issue with Citra (Windows 10 x64). I updated to RetroArch 1.8.2 then got latest Citran_libretro and Citra_Canary_libretro versions that are posted on 12-2-2019. Upon launching any game RetroArch crashes. Standalone .exe Citra works just fine with games.

When i run RetroArch with logging options enabled i also get this window when i try to open a 3DS game with 1.8.2:

Untitled

Don’t know if that helps.

And here’s the result when i change to the older 1.8.1 retroarch.exe (Dec 2 build) using the same core and same rom:

So this isn’t a bad rom, the only change i did was replacing the main retroarch.exe and nothing else.

Same problem for me :frowning:

With old core and old version of RetroArch (1.8.1), Citra works. With new core and old version (1.8.1), core crash. With 1.8.2 and new core, crash again…

It’s not the first time it happen to me, I have backup of my config but it’s very not practice :frowning:

Twinaphex is now aware of this being an issue and might fix it soon enough

1 Like

Hello, works fine with RetroArch 1.8.3 and latest core :slight_smile: Thanks

1 Like

Yeah, it’s working now thankfully

1 Like

sorry to jump on an old thread but recently went back to trying to play 3ds games and im getting the same issues listed above. Im on 1.8.5 and updated all cores? any advice?

Try switching your video driver to glcore.

1 Like

almost a year later… and I’m still having the same issues. whenever I try to load a 3DS game with Citra, RetroArch closes itself (even in task manager, so I don’t think it’s loading.)

1 Like

That was the fix for me, thank you!

1 Like

So I have Citra version 1.9.0 running on Retroarch. But everytime I try to run Fire Emblem Fates, it closes and reopens Retroarch and shows the errors that it “Failed to obtain loader for specified ROM” and “Failed to load content” after Retroarch comes back up. Any idea why this is happening?

[INFO] [CORE]: Using content: D:\RetroArch\Games\Fire Emblem Fates\Fire Emblem Fates DLC (USA) Decrypted.cia.
[INFO] Content ran for a total of: 00 hours, 00 minutes, 00 seconds.
[INFO] [CORE]: Unloading core..
[INFO] [CORE]: Unloading core symbols..
[INFO] [Core Options]: Saved core options file to "D:\RetroArch\config\Citra\Citra.opt"
[INFO] [Video]: Average monitor Hz: 58.951836 Hz. (5.237 % frame time deviation, based on 2048 last samples).
[INFO] RetroArch 1.9.0 (Git 6388872a54)
[INFO] [Overrides]: Redirecting save file to "D:\RetroArch\saves\Fire Emblem Fates DLC (USA) Decrypted.srm".
[INFO] [Overrides]: Redirecting save state to "D:\RetroArch\states\Fire Emblem Fates DLC (USA) Decrypted.state".
[INFO] === Build =======================================
[INFO] CPU Model Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900 CPU @ 3.10GHz
[INFO] Capabilities:  MMX MMXEXT SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE4 SSE4.2 AES AVX
[INFO] Built: Aug 11 2020
[INFO] Version: 1.9.0
[INFO] Git: 6388872a54
[INFO] =================================================
[INFO] [CORE]: Loading dynamic libretro core from: "D:\RetroArch\cores\citra_libretro.dll"
[INFO] [Overrides]: No core-specific overrides found at D:\RetroArch\config\Citra\Citra.cfg.
[INFO] [Overrides]: No content-dir-specific overrides found at D:\RetroArch\config\Citra\Fire Emblem Fates.cfg.
[INFO] [Overrides]: No game-specific overrides found at D:\RetroArch\config\Citra\Fire Emblem Fates DLC (USA) Decrypted.cfg.
[INFO] [Environ]: SET_VARIABLES.
[INFO] [Environ]: SET_CONTROLLER_INFO.
[INFO] Controller port: 1
[INFO]    Nintendo 3DS (ID: 1)
[INFO] [Remaps]: remap directory: D:\RetroArch\config\remaps
[INFO] [Overrides]: Redirecting save file to "D:\RetroArch\saves\Fire Emblem Fates DLC (USA) Decrypted.srm".
[INFO] [Overrides]: Redirecting save state to "D:\RetroArch\states\Fire Emblem Fates DLC (USA) Decrypted.state".
[INFO] [Environ]: GET_LOG_INTERFACE.
[INFO] [CONTENT LOAD]: Content loading skipped. Implementation will load it on its own.
[INFO] [Environ]: SET_HW_SHARED_CONTEXT.
[INFO] [Environ]: SET_PIXEL_FORMAT: XRGB8888.
[INFO] [Environ]: SET_HW_RENDER.
[INFO] Requesting core OpenGL context (3.3).
[INFO] [Environ]: SET_INPUT_DESCRIPTORS:
[INFO] 	RetroPad, Port 1, Button "B (bottom)" => "B"
[INFO] 	RetroPad, Port 1, Button "Y (left)" => "Y"
[INFO] 	RetroPad, Port 1, Button "Select" => "Select"
[INFO] 	RetroPad, Port 1, Button "Start" => "Start"
[INFO] 	RetroPad, Port 1, Button "D-Pad Up" => "Up"
[INFO] 	RetroPad, Port 1, Button "D-Pad Down" => "Down"
[INFO] 	RetroPad, Port 1, Button "D-Pad Left" => "Left"
[INFO] 	RetroPad, Port 1, Button "D-Pad Right" => "Right"
[INFO] 	RetroPad, Port 1, Button "A (right)" => "A"
[INFO] 	RetroPad, Port 1, Button "X (up)" => "X"
[INFO] 	RetroPad, Port 1, Button "L" => "L"
[INFO] 	RetroPad, Port 1, Button "R" => "R"
[INFO] 	RetroPad, Port 1, Button "L2" => "ZL"
[INFO] 	RetroPad, Port 1, Button "R2" => "ZR"
[libretro ERROR] Input @ core/frontend/input.h:Input::RegisterFactory:62: Factory libretro already registered
[INFO] 	RetroPad, Port 1, Button "L3" => "Home"
[INFO] 	RetroPad, Port 1, Button "R3" => "Touch Screen Touch"
[libretro ERROR] Input @ core/frontend/input.h:Input::RegisterFactory:62: Factory libretro already registered
[INFO] [Environ]: GET_VARIABLE citra_use_cpu_jit:
	enabled
[libretro INFO] Frontend @ citra_libretro/citra_libretro.cpp:retro_load_game:510: Starting Citra RetroArch game...
[INFO] [Environ]: GET_VARIABLE citra_use_hw_renderer:
	enabled
[libretro INFO] Frontend @ citra_libretro/citra_libretro.cpp:retro_load_game:510: Starting Citra RetroArch game...
[INFO] [Environ]: GET_VARIABLE citra_use_hw_shaders:
	enabled
[libretro ERROR] Input @ core/frontend/input.h:Input::RegisterFactory:62: Factory emu_window already registered
[INFO] [Environ]: GET_VARIABLE citra_use_shader_jit:
	enabled
[libretro ERROR] Input @ core/frontend/input.h:Input::RegisterFactory:62: Factory emu_window already registered
[INFO] [Environ]: GET_VARIABLE citra_use_acc_mul:
	enabled
[INFO] [Environ]: GET_VARIABLE citra_use_virtual_sd:
	enabled
[INFO] [Environ]: GET_VARIABLE citra_is_new_3ds:
	Old 3DS
[INFO] [Environ]: GET_VARIABLE citra_swap_screen:
[INFO] [Environ]: GET_VARIABLE citra_use_gdbstub:
	disabled
[INFO] [Environ]: GET_VARIABLE citra_texture_filter:
	none
[INFO] [Environ]: GET_VARIABLE citra_dump_textures:
	disabled
[INFO] [Environ]: GET_VARIABLE citra_custom_textures:
	disabled
[INFO] [Environ]: GET_VARIABLE citra_use_hw_shader_cache:
	enabled
[INFO] [Environ]: GET_VARIABLE citra_mouse_touchscreen:
	enabled
[INFO] [Environ]: GET_VARIABLE citra_resolution_factor:
	1x (Native)
[INFO] [Environ]: GET_VARIABLE citra_layout_option:
	Default Top-Bottom Screen
[INFO] [Environ]: GET_VARIABLE citra_deadzone:
[INFO] [Environ]: GET_VARIABLE citra_analog_function:
	C-Stick and Touchscreen Pointer
[INFO] [Environ]: GET_VARIABLE citra_region_value:
	Auto
[INFO] [Environ]: GET_VARIABLE citra_language:
	English
[INFO] [Environ]: GET_VARIABLE citra_use_libretro_save_path:
	LibRetro Default
[INFO] [Environ]: GET_SAVE_DIRECTORY.
[INFO] SET_GEOMETRY: 400x480, aspect: 0.833.
[libretro INFO] Common.Filesystem @ common/file_util.cpp:FileUtil::SetUserPath:683: Using D:\RetroArch\saves/Citra/ as the user directory
[libretro INFO] Common.Filesystem @ common/file_util.cpp:FileUtil::SetUserPath:683: Using D:\RetroArch\saves/Citra/ as the user directory
[libretro INFO] Frontend @ citra_libretro/citra_libretro.cpp:UpdateSettings:397: User dir set to "D:\RetroArch\saves/Citra/".
[libretro INFO] Frontend @ citra_libretro/citra_libretro.cpp:UpdateSettings:397: User dir set to "D:\RetroArch\saves/Citra/".
[INFO] [Environ]: SET_MESSAGE: Failed to obtain loader for specified ROM!
[ERROR] [CONTENT LOAD]: Failed to load content
[INFO] [Environ]: SET_PIXEL_FORMAT: RGB565.
[libretro WARN] Loader @ core/loader/loader.cpp:Loader::GetLoader:131: File D:\RetroArch\Games\Fire Emblem Fates\Fire Emblem Fates DLC (USA) Decrypted.cia has a different type than its extension.
[libretro WARN] Loader @ core/loader/loader.cpp:Loader::GetLoader:131: File D:\RetroArch\Games\Fire Emblem Fates\Fire Emblem Fates DLC (USA) Decrypted.cia has a different type than its extension.
[libretro ERROR] Core @ core/core.cpp:Core::System::Load:253: Failed to obtain loader for D:\RetroArch\Games\Fire Emblem Fates\Fire Emblem Fates DLC (USA) Decrypted.cia!
[libretro ERROR] Core @ core/core.cpp:Core::System::Load:253: Failed to obtain loader for D:\RetroArch\Games\Fire Emblem Fates\Fire Emblem Fates DLC (USA) Decrypted.cia!
[libretro ERROR] Frontend @ citra_libretro/citra_libretro.cpp:retro_load_game:558: Failed to obtain loader for D:\RetroArch\Games\Fire Emblem Fates\Fire Emblem Fates DLC (USA) Decrypted.cia!
[libretro ERROR] Frontend @ citra_libretro/citra_libretro.cpp:retro_load_game:558: Failed to obtain loader for D:\RetroArch\Games\Fire Emblem Fates\Fire Emblem Fates DLC (USA) Decrypted.cia!
[INFO] Version of libretro API: 1
[INFO] Compiled against API: 1
[INFO] [Audio]: Set audio input rate to: 48000.00 Hz.
[INFO] [Video]: Video @ fullscreen
[INFO] [Video]: Using HW render, OpenGL driver forced.
[INFO] [Video]: Using configured "glcore" driver for GL HW render.
[INFO] [GLCore]: Found GL context: wgl
[INFO] [GLCore]: Detecting screen resolution 2560x1080.
[INFO] [WGL] extensions: WGL_ARB_extensions_string WGL_ARB_pixel_format WGL_ATI_pixel_format_float WGL_ARB_pixel_format_float WGL_ARB_multisample WGL_EXT_swap_control WGL_EXT_swap_control_tear WGL_ARB_pbuffer WGL_ARB_render_texture WGL_ARB_make_current_read WGL
[INFO] [WGL]: Adaptive VSync supported.
[INFO] [WGL]: wglSwapInterval(1)
[INFO] [GLCore]: Initializing HW render (512 x 512).
[INFO] [GLCore]: Max texture size: 16384 px, renderbuffer size: 16384 px.
[INFO] [GLCore]: Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc., Renderer: AMD Radeon RX 5700.
[INFO] [GLCore]: Version: 4.6.14761 Core Profile Context 21.30.23.01 30.0.13023.1012.
[INFO] [GLCore]: Using resolution 2560x1080
[WARN] [DINPUT]: Strong rumble unavailable.
[WARN] [DINPUT]: Weak rumble unavailable.
[INFO] [Joypad]: Found joypad driver: "dinput".
[INFO] [GLCore]: Loading stock shader.
[INFO] [slang]: Building pass #0 (N/A)
[INFO] [GLCore]: Not using frame history.
[INFO] [GLCore]: Not using framebuffer feedback.
[INFO] [Font]: Using font rendering backend: freetype.
[INFO] [Video]: Found display server: win32
[INFO] [XAudio2]: Requesting 64 ms latency, using 64 ms latency.
[libretro ERROR] Frontend @ citra_libretro/citra_libretro.cpp:context_reset:449: Cannot reset system core if isn't on!
[libretro ERROR] Frontend @ citra_libretro/citra_libretro.cpp:context_reset:449: Cannot reset system core if isn't on!
[INFO] [Display]: Found display driver: "glcore".
[INFO] [MIDI]: Input disabled.
[INFO] [MIDI]: Output disabled.
[INFO] [MIDI]: Initialized "winmm" driver.
[INFO] Disconnecting device from port 6.
[INFO] Disconnecting device from port 7.
[INFO] Disconnecting device from port 8.
[INFO] Disconnecting device from port 9.
[INFO] Disconnecting device from port 10.
[INFO] Disconnecting device from port 11.
[INFO] Disconnecting device from port 12.
[INFO] Disconnecting device from port 13.
[INFO] Disconnecting device from port 14.
[INFO] Disconnecting device from port 15.
[INFO] Disconnecting device from port 16.
[INFO] [SRAM]: SRAM will not be saved.
[INFO] [Playlist]: Loading history file: [D:\RetroArch\content_history.lpl].
[INFO] [Playlist]: Loading history file: [D:\RetroArch\content_music_history.lpl].
[INFO] [Playlist]: Loading history file: [D:\RetroArch\content_video_history.lpl].
[INFO] [Playlist]: Loading history file: [D:\RetroArch\content_image_history.lpl].
[INFO] [Playlist]: Loading favorites file: [D:\RetroArch\content_favorites.lpl].
[INFO] [GLCore]: VSync => on
[INFO] [Video]: Restored video driver to "vulkan".
[INFO] [config] Saved new config to "D:\RetroArch\retroarch.cfg".
[INFO] [CORE]: Unloading core..
[INFO] [CORE]: Unloading core symbols..
[INFO] [Core Options]: Saved core options file to "D:\RetroArch\config\Citra\Citra.opt"
[INFO] [Video]: Does not have enough samples for monitor refresh rate estimation. Requires to run for at least 4096 frames.
[INFO] [Video]: Does not have enough samples for monitor refresh rate estimation. Requires to run for at least 4096 frames.

I think the CIA is an installer and you need to run the 3dsx equivalent instead…?

And that means…? Lol, I’m not too knowledgeable with this stuff, my bad.

Does the Citra core already have retro achievements?

@buthigor according to the core documentation here, it doesn’t appear to have them currently