CRT Switchres on PC Monitor

I was able to get 1920x480 @ 120hz, but the 512, 540, and 576 I def had to drop to 60hz. Maybe that’s monitor dependent? (Given my track record as of late I’ll double check this later lol)

I cannot for the life of me grasp how that toggle works in CRT settings, does anyone have info on that? Personally I simply can NOT get 50hz and/or 100hz to work. I’m not sure why. Was hoping that would help, but no.

~Take anything I say in regards to CRTSwitchRes with a grain of salt though, as I’m using CRU instead of CRTED.

1 Like

Well, at the end I was able to create the super resolutions of 1920 from 224 to 544 at 120Hz, I made them from AMD control panel and set the resolutions to be progressive with a CVT type of synchronization, they work fine, except that I wanted to have the resolution 192p added for much more older consoles, and for that I need to get a few more hertz in exchange of going only up to 480p, now, I don’t know really if Retroarch uses the 192p resolution and the only reason I have not used this resolution to test that is because I have no idea on how to set the “Custom Refresh Rate” option for CRT Switchres. Everything else is just fine, btw, why the super resolutions works specifically from 1920 to 3840?, I chose 1920 because it gives me a little bit more of performance for this low profile video card, 2560 was giving me bad performance on the PSX core.

I know for 1920x200 and 1920x192 I had to use 140hz to get them to function. for the GBA Resolution (1920x160… I think?) I had to use 160hz.

All 3 of these aren’t displaying properly right now for me from CRT Res Switch, as it calls on 120Hz even if I remove that from all available settings. But if I open the game and go to the resolution menu and choose the 140/160 hz choices, it switches properly.

I’m curious about this though, you were able to manually add modelines through radeon settings?

DOSBox games should run at 70Hz, which means 1920x200@140Hz is right, alas, RetroArch audio sync stuff forces it to run at 60FPS, but that’s another thing. For 1920x192, those consoles run at 60Hz, so using 160Hz is a recipe for judder, what I do is using the closest resolution to 192p at 120Hz with some small borders, it’s a fair tradeoff for smooth scrolling, I say.

70 Hz should be outside of the range for forcing anything to 60 Hz, and RetroArch will always try to sync to the monitor’s current refresh rate if vsync is enabled.

that is, it will only try to snap to 60 Hz if the core’s refresh rate is within a few fps of 60 and the monitor’s refresh rate is 60

It sounds like a bug, maybe?

I just did a couple of quick tests. I ran both DOSBox cores in a window at 72Hz (video_refresh_rate = "71.940002").

DOSBox SVN @72Hz

VSYNC    Audio Sync   FPS
 ON          ON       60
 ON          OFF      60
 OFF         ON       60
 OFF         OFF      60

DOSBox @72Hz

VSYNC    Audio Sync   FPS
 ON          ON       60
 OFF         ON       60
 ON          OFF      72
 OFF         OFF      Uncapped

What are these borders exactly? Like top/bottom letterboxing? I only ask because the way CRTRS pulls up Master System games the borders are MASSIVE almost like when it doesn’t change resolution, but it’s making my monitor click and drop to like 224p or something. (I’d have to double check, might be 240p) I’m doing the 192p with 140hz, just to clarify.

Though it seems like no matter what I do, RA is “setting refresh rate to: 120.0000hz” or however it phrases it when it starts. I don’t even have a 192p @ 120hz installed, so I don’t know where it’s coming from.

I play safe and use 224p, so it’s 16px+192px+16px in vertical, not so big, I think.
I can’t help you with your second issue, it’s working for me.

1 Like

That helps a lot actually, what I’m seeing is way more than 16px on each end, so that gives me somewhere to start. Do you turn on the toggle in CRT settings for custom refresh, or no?

set video full screen X and Y to 0, aspect ratio to core provided and try again

i do that using a front end (obviously, at 0 resolution you can’t see anything, but when a game is running it sets the resolution to the game’s res)

for portable systems i have a separate folder set to standard 480p, portable systems aren’t meant to have scanlines, that’s also where i play my naomi and atomiswave games, no need for super resolution there