FFMPEG core is broken?

radius suggested that maybe it’s something to do with the redist libs. It might fix itself when he updates the toolchain on the buildbot, though I’m not sure when that’s going to happen.

I’m using a version of retroarch I compile with updated libs, doesn’t make a difference with that issue.

too bad :frowning: Good to know, though! Alright, we’ll keep digging.

Alright, this must have something to do with the hardware/drivers.

On my new hardware (i5 4670, GTX 960) it will always crash. Doesn’t matter if i use an older version, a stable version or a recent nightly of RetroArch. It doesn’t matter if i’m on Windows 7 or Windows 10. And even the graphics drivers aren’t the same between the two OSes (so maybe just the hardware?). But it always crashes a few seconds after playing a video. Sometimes on Windows 10 it won’t crash but it will freeze the majority of the screen and only play a small stripe at the top, only showing a small part of the video area (lol)…

On my old hardware (Core 2 Duo, 8800GT) it never crashes. It works fine with all RetroArch versions too. I even copied/pasted my current version with the same cfgs and settings and it works great on the old PC, without changing anything. So it can’t be the settings either.

I hope that info helps somewhat.

That is helpful. Thanks!

GTX 770 on win7 x64 drivers 368.39 (and a lot of other before), always crashes after something like 10s, no particular Nvidia config, just default.

Perhaps it has to do with the video acceleration on some cards.

Has anyone found a solution to this?

I have a Nvidia card and videos crash every time, doesn’t matter if they are avi, mpeg4, mkv, etc.

I built retroarch with the latest ffmpeg-3.1.1 = no difference, still crashes.

Twinaphex is interested in fixing this but we need to know which driver revision broke it. Can anyone pinpoint that?

In the other FFMPEG thread there is this post:

I’m pretty sure i was on a 361 something driver when i first noticed the error. So maybe the first 361 driver? That would be 361.43. Or it could be 359.06.

I really hope this issue gets fixed, being able to watch videos like movies or longplays with shaders was one of the main things i loved about RetroArch.

I made this ticket in the repository since i didn’t find the issue there using search

https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/3313

Is there any progress about this issue?

Also, anyone tested the latest NVIDIA drivers? Mine are 2 versions older but i don’t really want to update yet, unless RetroArch doesn’t have a problem with them and fixes this issue.

Don’t bother. I just upgraded to 372.54 (the latest one) and the problem still persists.

The FFMPEG core now works on Vulkan (thanks!) and it didn’t fail with my usual test on 372.70 drivers.

So try your luck with Vulkan.

(should be there in a nightly starting from 2016-08-31)

Thanks for the heads up.

I haven’t installed those drivers yet but i would like to ask, can i use any shaders at all with Vulkan? Because the whole point of watching videos in RetroArch is the shaders. So, since the previous driver (372.54) also crashed with Vulkan (i tested it) is it possible that someone can see what’s changed in the latest one and maybe figure out what’s the cause of this whole issue? And maybe this way opengl, dx, etc can also be fixed later on?

Edit: Updated to 372.70 and it still crashes on vulkan. So, it wasn’t the drivers then?

FFMPEG just has been made compatible with vulkan in retroarch today. Wait for a nightly labelled 2016-08-31 minimum.

You can use slang shaders for vulkan: you need to manually download them from here.

I just indicated the driver I’m using atm, don’t know it’s that’s really needed. And I’m using a self-compiled retroarch version with different dependencies (dll) so I’m not sharing that.

[QUOTE=Tatsuya79;46355]FFMPEG just has been made compatible with vulkan in retroarch today. Wait for a nightly labelled 2016-08-31 minimum.[/QUOTE] Updated both FFMPEG and RetroArch today. Dates modified are 2016-09-04.

Now the program crashes whenever i try to play a video using vulkan.

There were some changes today that might have helped. Can anyone pull down the latest release and see if it made any difference?

Works great in opengl for me now with 2016-09-05 nightly!

Good work! :slight_smile:

w00t! Thanks for confirming!