FinalBurn Neo vs MAME on RetroArch (Windows 10)

I don’t know, i just tested a bunch of games and those are the results. Could as well be what you say.

Thing is that you can’t take the portrait thing as the measurement. Because let’s say we do. Since FBA has ZERO lag on the portrait change and MAME has only 1 frame of lag, that means:

• FBA has ZERO lag (too good to be true)

• MAME has 1 frame of lag (again, too good to be true IMO)

• FBA is faster than MAME by 1 frame. It’s not though. In all games both cores have the same frames of lag so i don’t see this 1 frame difference in any other case.

Well, again, i’m talking about CPS1 here, and yes FBNeo’s CPS1 is aware of the input when drawing next frame, that’s a fact proved by sf2’s champion select. In all other cases (if it’s really the only case where it’s visible), i don’t know why the CPS1 is waiting before doing something with the data we already provided.

From wikipedia :

In electronic hardware development, input lag is the delay between an electronic input signal being generated (pressing a button as above) and processed (I/O ports have been read, and memory updated to reflect the state of the input)

I think my understanding of input lag being the delay between the action and the machine becoming aware of this action is correct.

The next frame portrait case in FBA could as well be some kind of a bug. Since it’s the only case of Zero lag i have seen so far and since the core has the same amount of lag as MAME in all games, i could say there’s something weird going on in that particular case.

I have seen this weird behavior in the N64 Mupen core as well. Normally, Super Mario 64 has a few frames of lag even on the real machine (it’s a 30fps game after all so it should have at least a couple of frames of lag). On the emulator it has 4 frames of lag in this particular game and i think that’s how it performs on the real machine but i can’t be 100% sure.

However, if you disable framebuffer emulation, making it faster and less accurate, Mario reacts on the next frame. From 4 frames of lag you get zero lag. But that’s not how the game should run. It’s the result of inaccurate emulation/behavior. So that’s what i think happens with the portrait in SF for FBA. Since it’s not as accurate as MAME, it could be some kind of unintended behavior.

I mentioned it already, we are doing it intentionaly, whether you consider it a bug or not the fact remains the same : CPS1 is aware of button action when drawing the next frame in FBNeo, which makes the input lag induced by emulation nonexistent.

@Galdelico Actually, FBNeo was the one in the right, see video from the actual pcb : https://youtu.be/UiJeLfruoh4?t=71

The gun isn’t cut on arcade.