[Guide] Play Non-Arcade systems with MAME or MESS

a i thought this , so no thunder in paradise :sweat_smile:

Thanks again for pointing me in the right directing. I also got it working on my Ubuntu Laptop.

So basically, these are the changes you made for same_cdi, and then you just have the gitlab ci/cd take care of the Android build?

Will check in the discord channel if I can learn how to this manually.

same_cdi has additional changes under the hood to automate the underlying mame settings for loading game files specific to cdi (m20 would probably benefit from that too), you can ping me on discord if youā€™re interested in the specifics.

2 Likes

Hi Duimon, I am trying to use this superb overlay on my Steam Deck but to run Spacewar I need to do it through MAME standalone (Current) so I wonder, are your .slangp files usable in MAME Standalone since I canā€™t run Spacewar using Retroarch ?

1 Like

They are not. There is always my original raster MAME layout. (Available on progetto snaps or Mr. Doā€™s.)

Some day I plan on doing a 4K version for MAME using my vector source.

BTW. Why are you not able to run Spacewar! using the MAME (Current) core?

Not sure I tried many sources. Which version of MAME is in the Current core ? 0.252 (the latest ?) Because if so I tried using it and it wont load at allā€¦

1 Like

It needs the software list method. (Or command line.)

Just in case you arenā€™t familiarā€¦

You will need the SL hash ā€œpdp1_ptp.xmlā€ file in the ā€œ/system/mame/hash/ā€ folder. The rom needs to be in a folder named ā€œpdp1ā€, and you need software lists enabled in the core options. (Or a ā€œconfig/pdp1.optā€)

If you havenā€™t updated your hash files in a while you may not have the pdp1 file, it is relatively new. (mame 0.234)

Ok Iā€™ll have a look. My roms are indeed in pdp1 I have all hashes including pdp1_ptp.xml in /home/deck/.mame/share/mame/hash But the pdp1.opt that I have no clue! Where should this go and what does the content of that file look like ?

1 Like

The pdp1.opt is just an override in case you donā€™t want to globally enable software lists. It goes in your config/mame/ folder. There is already a mame.opt in the folder (It is created the first time you run the mame core.)

I globally enable software lists but there are systems that need some special care and I use the opt to disable it etc.

You can use the mame.opt as a template and copy it to any rom or system name.

Make sure you arenā€™t using the spacewar.zip from the regular mame romsā€¦ it is a different game. You need the rom from the software lists.

There is also a munching.zip that is a cool demo. Read the pdp1_ptp.xml for important info on getting the roms to start after you do get them to load.

Just so we arenā€™t guessing, is there any way you can post a pre-formatted log?

Wow thanks Duimon for all these infos! I am indeed using the correct spacewar rom and not the other one from normal MAME romset I will have to retry and rely on the SHA1 of the pdp1_ptp.xml to make sure I am trying to load the correct version of the rom in 0.234 (mame_libretro.so).

As for the log I will check when I return from vacation in two week and keep you informed. Its my first time away from work in 6 years lol.

Thanks again

1 Like

Hello, could you help me emulate super Aā€™can using retroarch core mame?

1 Like

In the other thread, the method I used for the Tiger Game.com is the ā€œStandardā€ MAME software list method. All the steps are the same but the bios and folder names are ā€œsupracanā€.

You should be able to puzzle out any non arcade system from that info.

There are some floppy systems that are inordinately tough to get running, but that is a rabbit hole we wonā€™t go into now.

BTW. If you read this thread from the beginning, with care, all your answers are here.

The forum largely exists so you can get answers from previously asked questions.

2 Likes

I understand, thank you for your attention, my friend, I have difficulty translating all the conversations, Iā€™m from Brazil, but I appreciate your attention, I wanted to know if the Funtech Super Acan has a BIOS, because I couldnā€™t find it.

the super acan needs no bios

1 Like