How to use per core config?

Hi everyone! I am having trouble trying to use per core config. I want to use a different video config por each core, also overlay´s and shaders, anyone could help me with this? I tryed to look for tutorials but coudn´t find nothing specific. I´m using this last version of retroarch with xmb interface.

I’m working on a guide, try this.[B]

Configuration: [/B] [ol] [li]Configurations Per-Core: Off [/li][li]Load Override Files Automatically: On [/li][/ol] https://i.imgur.com/uT9OHdc.png[B]

Add Games: [/B] [ol] [li] Main Menu → Add Content [/li][li] Scan Directory → Scan This Directory [/li][li] Go back to Home Screen [/li][li] Settings → Playlists → Set each Playlist’s Default Core. [/li][li]In the Main Menu you will now see a Playlist for each console. [/li][/ol] Playlist Default Cores

Overrides:

[ol] [li] Load Core [/li][li] Save New Config [/li][li] It will save it as snes9x_libretro.cfg to[B] \RetroArch\config[/B], for example. [/li][li] Create New Folder with the name of the Core, such as[B] \RetroArch\config\Snes9X[/B]. [/li][li] Move the config file snes9x_libretro.cfg to that folder. [/li][li] Rename the config file snes9x_libretro.cfg to the same name as the Folder, Snes9X.cfg [/li][li] It should now look like this [B]\RetroArch\config\Snes9X[/B]Snes9X.cfg. [/li][li] The Override will now be applied automatically when launching a game. [/li][/ol] Config Folders

Config Files in Folder

now it is working! thanks a lot!

Do you need the retroarch-core-options.cfg in those override folders too? Doesn’t the default one save all the different core settings for each individual core already?

Yeah. If you set some core options it will automatically create retroarch-core-options.cfg in the folder.

There will be a retroarch-core-options.cfg per folder now instead of all combined in one.

This is actually not the best way to do config per core, but I can’t find another way.

Overrides seem to be meant for only adding a few lines you want to change over the default retroarch.cfg.

What this does here is copy all the lines from retroarch.cfg.

The problem with this is that after you load a game from a Playlist, retroarch.cfg is the configuration that’s actually loaded and the new core override is loaded on top of it.

So any changes you make will save to retroarch.cfg and not the new override. You’d have to manually load it and then make changes to save each time.

Anyone know how to get a config file to load automatically?

You can do it like this from CLI, but not from the GUI.

retroarch -L "C:\Path\To\core.dll" -c "C:\Path\To\Config.cfg" "C:\Path\To\Game.rom"

from the gui, it will always load retroarch.cfg.

[QUOTE=wyzrd;44238]

Overrides:

[ol] [li] Load Core [/li][li] Save New Config [/li][li] It will save it as snes9x_libretro.cfg to[B] \RetroArch\config[/B], for example. [/li][li] Create New Folder with the name of the Core, such as[B] \RetroArch\config\Snes9X[/B]. [/li][li] Move the config file snes9x_libretro.cfg to that folder. [/li][li] Rename the config file snes9x_libretro.cfg to the same name as the Folder, Snes9X.cfg [/li][li] It should now look like this [B]\RetroArch\config\Snes9X[/B]Snes9X.cfg. [/li][li] The Override will now be applied automatically when launching a game. [/li][/ol] Config Folders

Config Files in Folder https://i.imgur.com/jTtnUPX.png[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this. I’ve been struggling with this for a whole day because I thought that the folder and the .cfg file names had to be the core’s filename as you have it in the cores folder. As a suggestion (for RA devs), why not serving the program with the per-core folders already created in the config folder, in order to avoid having to depend on a webpage? A little readme file with a “place corename.cfg files here to override retroarch.cfg options, where ‘corename’ is this folder’s name” line would also help a lot new users.

I’d like to ask if it’s normal that this option:

Load up a specific config file based on the core being used.

core_specific_config = false

is absent in retroarch.cfg and if I should manually add it. I’m using RGUI and there’s no “Configurations Per-Core: Off” as such (there’s a “Load content-specific core options automatically” option which I guess it’s just that), but was wondering if they’re indeed the aforementioned core_specific_config.

Also, this option:

Path to core options config file.

This config file is used to expose core-specific options.

It will be written to by RetroArch.

A default path will be assigned if not set.

core_options_path =

is for the retroarch-core-options.cfg file, isn’t it? Those won’t be created unless I turn on the option (which I shouldn’t if I’m using the override method), right?

Thanks!

‘Configuration per-core’ and ‘automatically load overrides’ are two separate options that are mutually exclusive. Configuration per-core is deprecated and the option no longer exists in nightly builds.

Configuration per-core is the one that used whole configs named the same as the core library file. Overrides use the core’s internal name and only need to include the few options you want to change from the main retroarch.cfg.

retroarch-core-options.cfg contains options from the cores themselves (NES palettes, N64 dynarec/interpreter, etc.). They typically all live in a single file whose location is dictated by that option you mentioned but you can make overrides that work on a per-game basis.

I managed to make overrides work for most of my cores, by figuring out the right folder and config file names (ex : for Genesis Plus GX, the name is “Genesis Plus GX” without underscores), except for Bsnes Mercury (Balanced) ; I created several folders :

• Bsnes Mercury
  • Bsnes-mercury
  • Bsnes_mercury
  • Bsnes Mercury Balanced
  • Bsnes-mercury-balanced
  • Bsnes_mercury_balanced

In each folder I put those config files :

• Bsnes Mercury Balanced.cfg
  • Bsnes Mercury.cfg
  • Bsnes_mercury.cfg
  • Bsnes_mercury-Balanced.cfg

None of them works. Can someone tell me the right name to make overrides work for Bsnes Mercury Balanced ?

Edit : I figured it out : the folder name must be “bsnes-mercury” (no “balanced” in it) and the file name : “bsnes-mercury.cfg”. In case anyone else wants to know.

bsnes-mercury

I managed to make overrides work for most of my cores, by figuring out the right folder and config file names

An aside. I constantly wonder why we don’t have this very fiddly, specific information collected/summarized on a wiki page somewhere. Instead it’s sprinkled throughout various forums and github threads, and that’s if you’re lucky. (Same goes for info on the mysterious paths the various MAME cores use, certain details related to what needs to go in system folders, etc.)

Does this arcane info keep changing, or…? If not, I would be happy to help with a documentation effort…

Perhaps have an entry for each core, listing every location it checks for files / configs / etc. and any specific issues surrounding it. Have an ultimate explainer for what retroarch-core-options.cfg is and how it works. An overrides guide. Etc. A way to see how all these pieces fit together, in one place, to get more people on the same page.

(Assuming I am not overlooking some resource.)

There is an easier way to discover all the correct names.

Just start a game with the core you want to find the correct name of.

Then go to quick menu and then to the core specific control options menu.

Then select the “save core remap file”.

After that, a “remaps” folder will be created in the config folder. And inside the remaps folder there will be another folder with the correct config name for the core to use for the overrides.

1 Like

@Alexandra Things used to be a lot more volatile than they are now.

If you’d like to work on filling in some info like that, the wiki linked at the top of the page ^^ is a good spot.

[QUOTE=Tromzy;45139]I managed to make overrides work for most of my cores, by figuring out the right folder and config file names (ex : for Genesis Plus GX, the name is “Genesis Plus GX” without underscores), except for Bsnes Mercury (Balanced) ; I created several folders :

• Bsnes Mercury
  • Bsnes-mercury
  • Bsnes_mercury
  • Bsnes Mercury Balanced
  • Bsnes-mercury-balanced
  • Bsnes_mercury_balanced

In each folder I put those config files :

• Bsnes Mercury Balanced.cfg
  • Bsnes Mercury.cfg
  • Bsnes_mercury.cfg
  • Bsnes_mercury-Balanced.cfg

None of them works. Can someone tell me the right name to make overrides work for Bsnes Mercury Balanced ?

Edit : I figured it out : the folder name must be “bsnes-mercury” (no “balanced” in it) and the file name : “bsnes-mercury.cfg”. In case anyone else wants to know.[/QUOTE]

I use the names as they are listed here. http://wiki.libretro.com/index.php?title=Main_Page#Core_Software_Library

You can also have “config per game” create the folder in core options, then delete the .opt file it creates and put the override .cfg in there.