Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

With a little work using the parameters, you can already rotate counter clockwise.

@HyperspaceMadness would just have to add a clockwise rotation parameter. :grin:

4 Likes

Thanks, Duimon. Was this setting recently introduced? Lol otherwise I totally missed it!!

1 Like

Hey this is fun! CRT emulated with reflections, on a CRT :crazy_face:

I think this might be @Digitech’s Video

Feels like Inception :upside_down_face:

Wait for the kick :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Yeah man that{s my vid lol, guess im making some purists really angry at using a HD crt to play my games however the %$ck i want, BTW that tv is kind of dead right now, won´t turn on, I guess it got tired to handle so much perfection :grin: Here´s the last one i made but this time with an optoma 1080p lcd projector

4 Likes

Now that you mention it. I did this using the alpha shader so it may not be possible using the release version. In any case it isn’t necessarily intentional, just possible due to @HyperspaceMadness thorough consideration.

2 Likes

I don’t understand why they should get angry or feel threatened. People should be free to like what they like and also to share what they like with others. That doesn’t mean death to preservation or that even people who like what I like or what you like are even against preservation.

Death To Pixels does not mean death to preservation. Those with different tastes as well as interests and ultimate goals should be able to co-exist harmoniously and respectfully within the same wider community.

2 Likes

Thanks for your response! Just wanted to mention that I was not aware there was a new repo, and the HSM Mega Bezels in the new repo work just fine. Thank you again for your work!

4 Likes

I thought I would make a point of announcing this ahead of time. The current slang_shaders repo is not being updated any more, and the development has moved to the Mega_Bezel repo, so if you want to follow the development build, that is where you will want to go.

In the future the shaders_slang repo will reflect things that are about to be submitted to the main libretro repo or have already been submitted.

A link to the Mega_Bezel repo is in the first post

4 Likes

I also wanted to share a cool effect someone else brought up in the thread last year sometime.

Basically if you raise the black level (make the black in the game image brighter) in the Grade settings you will get slight scanlines on the black area of your game which add a nice texture to it.

Here it is with the black level raised a lot:

Zoomed in!

Parameters:

8 Likes

Just sharing some up to date screenshots from my CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Shader Preset Pack. I know it’s been a while since I’ve shared anything new so these are representative of what my presets currently look like!

Oh wow, lots of news here! I’ve been pretty fugitive because of the heavy workload on my incoming PVM Pack, the Mega Bezel 1.0 release, the Commodore Pack so…

… ignite your pixels!

16 Likes

:star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck: Fantástic work @TheNamec ! I want it, a love it!

4 Likes

Been a while. Haven’t had a chance to do much retro gaming lately. Still, decided to replay the zero series and wow does this shader looks stunning on an OLED. Even GBA games look amazing. I always look forward to new updates!

8 Likes

Hey @HyperspaceMadness an idea struck me and I had to share it, even if I suppose you are in feature freeze on the road to the 1.0 release!

Introducing Mega Backlight

I am thinking about some sort of full screen dynamic backlight à la “Philips Hue/Ambilight”.

Feels like we are really close to something like this thanks to the GLASS feature, of course we need the device layer to be on top for extra silhouette coolness.

To perfect the control you may add customisation for:

• Blurriness
  • Light transitions decay speed (the upper limit being ‘real-time’ like the GLASS preset)
  • Backlightning area (width/height, posX, posY)
  • Colorization controls (hue, saturation, brightness)

It would be the ultimate filler and a new modern enhancement for retrogaming! Bonus side effects: less fatigue on eyes and IRL room lightning effect for people playing on big TVs :star_struck:

EDIT1

On a sidenote… this would introduce a problem with my actual implementation of device layer assets as I embed a little outershadow to add some depth between device/decal and background/led layers. I will of course remove them.

EDIT2

Some beloved one :heart_eyes: may develop an outer shadow control like the one already existing on bezel frame. This way we can perfect the silhouette effect on NIGHT lightning presets, while keeping the realistic shadow on DAY ones.

10 Likes

OMGosh @HyperspaceMadness! This is a brilliant idea! Especially for those on IPS screens that struggle to display true black in pitch black rooms! I can see myself using this in a very subtle quantity. I’m imagining a soft, dark blue as I write. This can even supliment those with RGB lighting setups! I can see that Phillps example with independent left and right lighting with the Blue blending into Red to make magenta in the center!

I’m also thinking morphing mode for OLEDs in addition to static mode!

3 Likes

This sounds like a really cool idea! I think this management of lighting and animating lighting of some sort for our OLED users is probably the next bigish feature after the V1 release.

We’ll have to think about about how we want to do the background light, if the light added is actually a super blurred version of the screen/reflection image, or an automatic choice of some colors from the image to simulate a few different colors of lights blending together.

Yeah it would be nice to be able to have this shadow be autogenerated by the shader. I’ll have to see how we could achieve this soft shadow based on the outline/mask of the upper layers. We may need an additional blur pass for it.

4 Likes

I just came across this and it looks very promising:

Apparently @Juandiegous fine tuned the Blargg NTSC Filter to match a real Sega Genesis without producing the undesirable artifacts we have all come to expect from it!

Can this be tested to verify the improvements and integrated into the Mega Bezel Reflection Shader?

So this is a filter rather than a shader, I haven’t used filters much. I’m not sure if they are applied before or after the retroarch shader pipeline. If they are going to be applied after they aren’t going to be any use with the mega bezel. You should try them out and see what happens, I think also sometimes a core can use the filter directly.

Dunno - Shaders & Filters? - RetroArch / General - Libretro Forums

1 Like

I just tried @Juandiegous’s custom filter and it works very well in conjunction with HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! The results are better than the filters that are currently there in the Filters folder. It does the blending without being too excessive in the blur and distortion department.

3 Likes

Whoo hoo just hit 6000 downloads of this little package!

Big “surprise” incoming, hopefully tonight :slight_smile:

4 Likes