Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

I was actually thinking about making the bezel and frame transparent, adding a decal layer that is the border, and using a static device layer bezel . I could increase the bezel height and width under the decal until the reflection affected the right portion of the bezel. It would be potato-ish but it would work.

You could still scale it but have no control over curvature.

Now that you mention it. The black edge might be a better idea. It will be fun to try.

2 Likes

Hello Duimon! I was thinking in using that one, as it is the original GBA Player basic border.

My goal was to get something like this:

But as you can see there’s not enough negative crop to do it, so if you guys could get this to work it would be great.

2 Likes

I think we can do it and end up with some border reflection on the bezel also.

Maybe I can squeeze some time out of the holiday to try some things.

5 Likes

Don’t need to rush this. Happy holidays to you all!

5 Likes

Well my friend, here is what I came up with so far.

There is a bit of wizardry and maybe a little trickery going on. :grin:

6 Likes

Super Game Boy Advance!! Looks good! Problem solved!

1 Like

Hi, I had a look at the new builds and I discovred that since the last time I got the pack, many renamings were done, many new presets were added and removed. In my current build I was using mainly the Base_CRT_Presets/MBZ__3__BASIC-REFLECT__GDV.slangp

What is the latest pack equivelent so I can do the proper substitutions? Was it based on Guest shaders? Does it still do?

Thank you and merry Christmas!

1 Like

You can look back a few posts to see the changes. Just replace your old base presets with one of the new ones.

Try the MBZ__1__ADV first since this new version runs a lot faster than the old ones. If it’s running too slow try MBZ__2__ADV-NO-REFLECT…and so on.

Merry Christmas to you too!

1 Like

Remarkable job! I used MBZ__1__ADV__GDV-NTSC preset and e.g I have my Retroarch Saturn core at steady 60 fps where in the previous versions it was sub 50 fps! Since I am using the @Duimon bezels, I used the new HSM and I did a simple batch in-files replace for all the cores I use. In seconds I had the new settings applied

2 Likes

Wonderful! Be sure to try out the presets in the Presets/Experimental/CyberLab folder and let me know what you think! You can even reference those as they use the similar MBZ__1__ADV (Not NTSC) presets!

1 Like

The BASIC-REFLECT presets have been removed and the STD__GDV is the replacement. The performance improvements in the RC1 make the BASIC-REFLECT irrelevant, the new STD perform as well or better than the old BASIC-REFLECT.

Any preset with GDV in the name is still based on Guest’s shader.

4 Likes

I found some issue with rev 3. Dos game’s scanline effect doesn’t work at all. It happens with every core(core/pure/svn) mask effect is fine. Is this a just bug or I miss something?

3 Likes

It’s likely that the scanline effect is working but the internal res is high enough that it looks absent. DOS games ran at 640x480 so 2X the resolution of the output from most other cores.

You can adjust the [CORE RES SAMPLING] Opposite Direction Multiplier and see if it helps.

This is a current screenshot so it obviously works. If this doesn’t solve your issue can you post a screenshot so we can see what you’re seeing?

3 Likes

oh I checked It works by adjusting that option. But as we can see the screenshot, It’s a little bit of…Image seems not showing clean focus. It’s hard to find the right words to describe that.

But anyway, scanline is supposed to come with 240p, not 480p. I don’t think I’ve ever seen scanline while playing a game on a PC. So it’s not a big deal and maybe it’s natural thing. :smiley:

2 Likes

PC screens used dot masks instead of slot masks or an aperture grille. Even 4K screens don’t have enough pixels to really emulate one well.

You can try switching to a Lottes mask for a more authentic dot look.

Masks 1 and 4 work each work well enough depending on resolution. You may have tweak the aforementioned setting to get them to look right.

BTW. Apparently some apogee games ran at 240. :grin:

3 Likes

Also, don’t trust the screenshot that has the IBM monitor. (Focus) I am using independent screen and bezel curvature so that can mess with the CRT shader a bit.

1 Like

Or you can even try my Computer Monitor presets with my prebaked tweaks as a starting point once I update them to cater to a change in the latest 0.9.092 24-12-21 Rev 3 HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader. They’re in the Experimental folder. but you can use the updated version I just posted on my thread until the rest of the Mega Bezel Package is updated. @razaigon

2 Likes

I want to clarify, that not all PC monitors were dotmask to my knowledge. Afaik Sony did aperture grille tubes for PC monitors (Dell used Sony’s tubes as well for their monitors.)

Does this really matter to the current conversation? Dunno, but info is info :joy:

I will agree that the majority of the market was dotmask monitors.

2 Likes

Yep, there were Trinitrons, I had two 20" before I upgraded to my first pair of LCDs. The vast majority though had a dot-pitch… so a dot mask.

Dell entered the PC market in 1996. Relatively late in the day for DOS.

2 Likes

BTW… Happy holidays my friend! :partying_face:

4 Likes