Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

Mega_Bezel_Logo

Mega Bezel is updated to V 0.9.107 2022-04-17 Rev 1

Changes:

• Added Sony Megatron from @MajorPainTheCactus
    • SDR Presets only for now
    • Located shaders_slang\bezel\Mega_Bezel\Presets\Base_CRT_Presets\Sony-Megatron\STD
  • Fixed Decal Image Split-Scale Mode
  • Fixed GDV-MINI 4K mask bug which appeared 3/4 across the screen
  • Improved 2D Cylinder
  • Added tube diffuse scale_x which should help with cylindrical tube
  • Updated Community Presets:
    • Sonkun
    • Nesguy
    • Cyberlab
    • BendBombBoom
  • Sharp Pixels preset updated SharpPixels__STD.slangp
    • Now using the AB Compare so it is really very sharp square Pixels

HERE ARE THE LINKS!

Shader Package Approx. 15 MB

Extra Examples Package

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

• You MUST use Retroarch Version 1.9.8 or Later (It will fail to load on earlier versions)
    • If you have previous versions of the Mega Bezel installed:
      • Delete the old Mega Bezel stuff from shaders/shaders_slang/bezel
    • Inside the .zip is a bezel folder, copy the bezel folder into your Retroarch/shaders/shaders_slang folder
      • The final path to the Mega bezel should be Retroarch/shaders/shaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel
    • Set video driver to Vulcan
      • It will run in GLCore but seems faster in Vulcan
      • Some users have run it successfully in D3D11 but with a very slow load time
      • Restart after changing the video driver
    • Open the Settings Menu and Set:
      • Video / Scaling / Aspect Ratio to Full
        • This will match your monitor aspect aspect ratio
      • Video / Scaling / Integer Scale to OFF
      • Video / Output / Video Rotation to Normal
      • User Interface / Show Advanced Settings to ON
      • Core / Allow Rotation to OFFImportant for FB Neo
      • Do this Before loading content
    • Load a preset in the shaders menu, Mega Bezel shader presets are found in:
      • shaders/shaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel/Presets
    • When you save a preset make sure you have the Simple Presets feature set to ON
      • This will save a preset with a reference to the preset you loaded plus whatever parameter changes you made
      • This will keep your presets loading properly when the shader updates in the future

Sharp Pixels

13 Likes

Hmm. Has the new package synced yet? I keep getting the old version.

2 Likes

You’re right, it’s not synced, I’ll sync manually and let you know when it’s up

2 Likes

Ok it’s updated now, if you grabbed it before about 10 minutes ago, you will want to get it again :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Thank you very much @HyperspaceMadness! Outstanding work!

I’m not sure if I asked this one before but is there currently anyway for a CRT Shader Preset file to “call” a Video Filter and/or Audio Filter so that they can load automatically when the shader loads, much like how it can be done with Overlays and Background Graphics?

1 Like

Cool. I was worried because I ran it without checking the date and the artifact was still in the Potatoes.

They look beautiful now.

My monitors are showing a lot of whites ghosting on the Megatron presets. (WTF is up with my monitors?!?!)

I’m going to guess it is just my monitors and not a bug. (Unless others mention it.)

4 Likes

How is it done with overlays? I have never used filters.

2 Likes

Thanks for the new release.

I will try the potato version on my Xbox One X, and see if that will load when using DX11

2 Likes
BackgroundImage = "../../img/Sega_Genesis/Sega_Genesis_Solid_A.png"
LEDImage = "../../img/Sega_Genesis/Sega_Genesis_Led.png"

I was referring generally to Shader Parameters like these which can be used to load graphics. It would be nice if we could have the same functionality to specify video and audio filters to load along with a Shader Preset.

I have some presets that I would like to be used exclusively with certain video filters but I don’t want the user to have to manually load the filter separately.

You should try them out. They’re excellent modifiers and they take advantage of the CPU which goes mostly underutilized.

You can try my custom video filters in my shader preset pack.

1 Like

OK… I understand. But if it can be done with an override… why?

1 Like

Just to make it seamless for the casual user and to hide or limit the possibility of the raw shader preset being used as its not going to look pretty or as intended without the filter on the back end because it has been tweaked to be used specifically as an input for the video filter.

As for the ability to do this with audio filters, that would enable someone like myself to create an all encompassing “one load” enhancement package consisting of visual as well as audio enhancements with the user only needing to understand how to configure RetroArch for HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader, install a preset pack and load a shader preset.

1 Like

Yeah, I can see how this might be convenient. I don’t think this will happen, because these are two separate systems, in programming terms mixing systems like this usually causes problems. It could also cause confusion and side effect bugs to try to combine them, E.G. I loaded one shader that had a filter, then I loaded another with no filter, and now I’m confused as to why my game looks wrong because the filter is still applied, but not even displayed in the same UI as the shaders.

3 Likes

Hi Duimon, have you had any luck with your white ghosting? I have to say I’m not quite sure what white ghosting would look like - do mean as a line say moves across the screen it’s leaving a trail?

If so that is very peculiar and I’m not sure the Megatron could produce such an effect but I’ve been proven wrong enough times in my life not to rule it out. I’d start with turning off any kind motion options on your monitor if you have any?

Does it only effect the Megatron shader (it sounds like it) if so is it SDR or HDR mode?

2 Likes

It’s like the whites are smeared across the screen horizontally. It is really transparent so I call it ghosting.

I am fairly certain it is hardware related. I was having similar issue with the Mega Bezel Guest-mini shader.

It seems to be mask related and doesn’t show up in a screenshot.

My monitors have a RGB sub pixel layout but that doesn’t mean they are arranged in a normal pattern. It’s the only thing I can think of that would make it show up on my monitors and not others.

To be clear. The stand alone shader doesn’t do it… only the Mega Bezel integrated version.

After all the issues I have been having I am seriously considering replacing them… this is getting tiresome.

I am still waiting to hear if anyone else has any issues.

1 Like

Ok, so this is interesting, It is strange that it is appearing in one and not the other, so on the sdr presets of the standard Megatron this doesn’t appear?

1 Like

Everything seems to be fine on my end.

2 Likes

I was wrong… it shows up on the standalone also. Like my previous issue with the Guest-mini it doesn’t show on a screenshot.

But is very obvious in person.

I would sure love to learn why this is happening.

Here is an adjusted screenshot of the first that is easier to see.

It is entirely a hardware issue.

4 Likes

Does your Monitor backlight use PWM or is this an OLED monitor? Where else do you see the issue besides when using the Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor Preset? Does it occur if you use CyberLab__Composite-Pure__ADV for example or one of NESGuy’s presets in the Community Variations Folder?

Are you using BFI or any type of backlight strobing?

Also, if possible, can you take a photo using AF, ISO 200, Shutter Speed 1/60 and White Point 6500K so that we can see what’s going on even more clearly please?

Also, there’s something a bit strange about that version of Super Mario Bros. in your picture. The colours look different as well as the highlight/trim going around the border of the title.

1 Like

It is an IPS monitor so no BFI or strobing. it does not use PWM.

I have had the issue so far with Guest-mini and now Megatron. It only occurs when there is a mask. In Guest mini turning the mask strength to zero solved the issue.

Also… the new Guest-mini in the Mega Bezel doesn’t show the issue… it uses a different masking method.

Shot taken with suggested settings.

3 Likes

Hi Duimon, so a couple of things to check on your monitors:

• Make sure your sharpness setting is set to neutral this will usually either be 0 or 50
  • Make sure your white point temp is set to 6500K
  • Make sure your monitor, cable and GPU port is not using chroma sub-sampling i.e you’re using ‘Full Colour’ or 4:4:4. Where you can find this out I’m not sure but start in the Nvidia Control Panel (or AMD’s version) and Windows Display Settings (you’ll probably need to go into the advanced settings or something).
  • Make sure your brightness is set to 100% (this shouldn’t effect it)
3 Likes