Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

Nice work @TheNamec! I can see you were going for an aperture-grille look here, well done. Indeed, Guest’s CRT shaders really bring these Amiga low-res images to life — just like how I remember them on my Philips CM8833 monitor back in the day.

By the way, there is a whole pack of test images in the files section at the end of my article. I’ve spent quite some time finding images that are useful for testing the various aspects of the CRT shaders, others might find them useful too.

4 Likes

Thank you! That screenshoot was done using Shadomask type 2 following the original preset, with CRT mask just adding subtle zig-zag pattern (more noticeable in dark areas).

By looking at your captures, I think the “stiched” look from Commodore slot-mask suits better with Shadowmask type 3 (at least on 1080p).

Type 2

Type 3

And these really are beautiful!

In this case I used Shadowmask type 3 and ScanlineType - GSL 2. I think it’s the right combination to have both the stiched texture and the subtle scanlines from Commodore Monitors. Looks pretty fine on integer scaling.

4 Likes

Thank you for the test images… they are priceless!

3 Likes

This is similar to the premise behind my new CyberLab Sega Genesis for Blargg_NTSC_Genesis_Composite_CyberLab_Special_Edition console specific preset.

This is also similar to my reasoning behind using Mask 4 with my Computer Monitor presets which were inspired not necessarily strictly by the look but by the thoughts, ideas and memories of my Commodore 1702 Monitor that I grew up playing on.

I wholeheartedly concur @Rincewind. I will definitely download and take these for a spin when I get a chance and run them through my shader preset pack. They look absolutely gorgeous.

It feels like we’re slowly drifting into the stage of our lives akin to our grandfather’s having a smoke of their pipes while having a chat and a drink of Scotch or Brandy over these vintage works of art from the old days of our youth.

So this is what getting old feels like…lol.

2 Likes

Ahah yep, we’re spinning around and around that sweet love story about the beautiful one and how we managed to ruin everything because of… the OTHER beautiful ones. :grin:

BTW, here’s my settings translated in Mega Bezel Reflection Shader from the original @rincewind and @guest.r A2080 shader, I’m pretty sure @Cyber can share some love to Commodore slot-masks :heart_eyes:

// [CRT] SLOT-MASK FOR COMMODORE DISPLAYS
// MEGA BEZEL COMMODORE PACK by THENAMEC
// Based off CRT-A2080-HiResSmartResShader by Guest.R
// Based off CRT-A2080-PAL-sharp.fx by Rincewind
//-------------------------------------------------------------

// GDV - COLOR TWEAKS
CP = "4.000000"
CS = "0.000000"
wp_saturation = "1.000000"
wp = "0.000000"

// GRADE - BRIGHTNESS & CONTRAST
g_cntrst = "0.496000"

// GDV - GLOW
glow = "0.020000"
SIZEH = "3.010000"
SIZEV = "3.010000"

// GDV - BLOOM & HALATION
bloom = "0.124000"

// GDV - BRIGHTNESS SETTINGS
brightboost = "1.200000"
brightboost1 = "1.060000"

// GDV - SCANLINE OPTIONS
gsl = "2.000000"
scanline1 = "4.500000"
scanline2 = "9.000000"
beam_min = "0.700000"
beam_max = "1.100000"
beam_size = "0.800000"

// GDV - FILTERING OPTIONS
h_sharp = "8.800000"

// GDV - CRT MASKING OPTIONS
shadowMask = "3.000000"
maskstr = "0.282000"
maskDark = "0.500000"
maskLight = "1.400000"
mask_gamma = "2.797000"
slotmask = "0.265000"
slotmask1 = "1.000000"
slotwidth = "1.000000"
mshift = "6.000000"
5 Likes

Great work @TheNamec, I’m impressed! Indeed, Shadowmask 3 is the one to use if you’re after emulating a Commodore/Philips monitor of the era. As far as I know, virtually all 15 kHz personal computer monitors were the slot mask type; they were essentially small TVs. IBM PC monitors were quite different, they are triad mask types, probably starting as early as the CGA era because they were always optimising for sharpness and text legibility in business applications. I think the aperture mask you used first are the characteristics of later Trinitron monitors, I haven’t personally seen any Amiga user having one those in the 80s / early 90s where I lived (but I only knew other kids, no pro users at all).

Like I said before, I don’t use RetroArch so I’m a bit lost when it comes to RetroArch presets, preset packs, etc. But if you provide me a link to your work based on my A2080 preset tweaks, I’m happy to update my article and include it to help RetroArch users.

I’m also glad you guys enjoy the test image pack :slight_smile: Cheers!

4 Likes

Where can i download the first version of this? (OLD) I like it more because of its thin edges.

1 Like

If you like the look of a thin bezel then what I would suggest is to get the latest and adjust shader parameters for the bezel width and height to be smaller.

3 Likes

Little Experiment Cooking taking @BendBombBoom’s Crazy/Cool RESHADE-FX preset into the Mega Bezel

And not to leave out the Glass!

13 Likes

Free SFX Software Package for the win!

4 Likes

Not sure where you can download older versions but you probably don’t need it. Since then i also updated the shader myself once or twice and then re-configured it to look similar. I assume you can have the same result with the latest version.

3 Likes

I’m going to see if I can get the effect of the flares to not just appear and disappear immediately to see if I can get an as beautiful but less seizure inducing effect :rofl:

5 Likes

@Rincewind @TheNamec I’m probably missing something simple, but how do you get those test images to pull up to test shaders with?

3 Likes

Just load them as content. :grin: Retroarch has a built-in image viewer core.

Oh… and I converted them to PNG first.

2 Likes

OK, I was about to say I could not get them to find the files when in IFF format, so maybe I was going to have to convert em :smiley:

3 Likes

@HyperspaceMadness these visuals reminds me a lot Squaresoft 2.5HD from Octopath Traveler and Triangle Strategy!

2 Likes

You’ll need to be familiar with the Amiga OS (Workbench) and a few Amiga applications in order to do that. I personally use Directory Opus 4.12, a file manager that has a nice built-in image viewer. Or you could use Deluxe Paint as well.

2 Likes

@Neofuuma IFF files can be easily converted via Adobe Photoshop or the Gimp, better to use lossless PNG.

RetroArch image viewer also supports images switching via joypad direction, meaning you can instantly test pal/ntsc while tuning the shader.

Of course this is just a test scenario, PUAE introduces a lot of complexity on the output due to centering, overscan and other features that may kill the correct aspect ratio.

2 Likes

The images look great at 4x3 1.33 aspect in the Mega Bezel. If the images themselves are indicative of the desired aspect then the NTSC should be viewed at 1.6 and the PAL at 1.2. But 1.2 seems weird. :thinking:

Either way I would let the Mega Bezel change the aspect, as opposed to changing them in an editor. (An editor will mess with the perfect pixelation.)

3 Likes

@Duimon there’s an additional layer of complexity beyond the “low-res” PAL/NTSC with Amiga: additional programmable modes that can significatively alter the aspect ratio of the output multiple times in runtime. In the past we already encountered this on Tekken and Ridge Racer Type 4 on PSX core.

We really need a solution to somewhat “decouple” the procedural bezel aspect ratio (ie. displays form factor is 5:4) from the core output variable aspect ratio: that way we can preserve procedural bezels dimension/position while letting the game doing his own thing as it was meant to be.

Have you already experimented with indipendent bezel scaling applied to DEVICE textures?

Btw, here’s a representative mock-up directly from 1985. Of course, this is on integer scaling :grin:

4 Likes