Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

I am on Windows 10 and using a GTX 1650.

Doh! Maybe I can help. I have a GTX 980 (WHQL 512.77) and on Win11. Let’s see if we can get to the bottom of this. What build are you currently using? Preferably with a link :slight_smile:

I am testing using the latest nightly build 05222022. https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/windows/x86/

1 Like

OK so I can confirm I have this issue too. If I try to load STD preset with Vulkan, after 5 seconds it says failed to load shader. This is using 05222022 on Win11 Nvidia WHQL 512.77 and a GTX 980. If I try to do the same on the main build, the issue is not there.

For the moment loading HSM just crashes Retroarch.

Log file

[INFO] [Core]: Reset.
[INFO] [Core]: Content ran for a total of: 00 hours, 00 minutes, 03 seconds.
[INFO] [Runtime]: Saving runtime log file: "D:\Games\Emulation\2022-05-22_RetroArch\RetroArch-Win32\playlists\logs\Mesen\Super Mario Bros. + Duck Hunt (USA).lrtl".
[INFO] [Core]: No content, starting dummy core.
[INFO] [Core]: Content ran for a total of: 00 hours, 00 minutes, 00 seconds.
[INFO] [Core]: Unloading game..
[INFO] [Core]: Unloading core..
[INFO] [Core]: Unloading core symbols..
[INFO] [Core]: Saved core options file to "D:\Games\Emulation\2022-05-22_RetroArch\RetroArch-Win32\config\Mesen\Mesen.opt".
[INFO] [Video]: Does not have enough samples for monitor refresh rate estimation. Requires to run for at least 4096 frames.
[INFO] RetroArch 1.10.3 (Git 08e3cd0)
[INFO] === Build =======================================
[INFO] CPU Model Name: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor            
[INFO] Capabilities:  MMX MMXEXT SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE4 SSE4.2 AES AVX AVX2
[INFO] Built: May 22 2022
[INFO] Version: 1.10.3
[INFO] Git: 08e3cd0
[INFO] =================================================
[INFO] [Input]: Found input driver: "dinput".
[INFO] [Environ]: SET_PIXEL_FORMAT: RGB565.
[INFO] [Core]: Version of libretro API: 1, Compiled against API: 1
[INFO] [Audio]: Set audio input rate to: 48000.00 Hz.
[INFO] [Video]: Set video size to: fullscreen.
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Vulkan dynamic library loaded.
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Found vulkan context: "vk_w".
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Detecting screen resolution: 1920x1200.
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Found GPU at index 0: "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980".
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Using GPU index 0.
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Using GPU: "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980".
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Queue family 0 supports 16 sub-queues.
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Using resolution 1920x1200.
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Using RGB565 format.
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Loading stock shader.
[INFO] [XInput]: Found XInput v1.4.
[INFO] [Joypad]: Found joypad driver: "xinput".
[INFO] [Font]: Using font rendering backend: "freetype".
[INFO] [Video]: Found display server: "win32".
[INFO] [XAudio2]: Requesting 64 ms latency, using 64 ms latency.
[INFO] [Display]: Found display driver: "vulkan".
[INFO] [SRAM]: SRAM will not be saved.
[INFO] [Playlist]: Loading history file: "D:\Games\Emulation\2022-05-22_RetroArch\RetroArch-Win32\content_history.lpl".
[INFO] [Playlist]: Loading history file: "D:\Games\Emulation\2022-05-22_RetroArch\RetroArch-Win32\content_music_history.lpl".
[INFO] [Playlist]: Loading history file: "D:\Games\Emulation\2022-05-22_RetroArch\RetroArch-Win32\content_video_history.lpl".
[INFO] [Playlist]: Loading history file: "D:\Games\Emulation\2022-05-22_RetroArch\RetroArch-Win32\content_image_history.lpl".
[INFO] [Playlist]: Loading favorites file: "D:\Games\Emulation\2022-05-22_RetroArch\RetroArch-Win32\content_favorites.lpl".
[INFO] [Config]: Saved new config to "D:\Games\Emulation\2022-05-22_RetroArch\RetroArch-Win32\retroarch.cfg".
[INFO] [Core]: Content ran for a total of: 00 hours, 00 minutes, 00 seconds.
[INFO] [Core]: Unloading core..
[INFO] [Core]: Unloading core symbols..
[INFO] [Video]: Does not have enough samples for monitor refresh rate estimation. Requires to run for at least 4096 frames.
2 Likes

I found the last build that the HSM worked fine with was nightly build 052022.

This tells me that the problem has arisen because of Retroarch having vulkan rewrites. We will just have to wait until they are done with the vulkan side of things.

3 Likes

Thanks to everyone who gave it a test, I talked to the guy who did the latest cleanup on vulkan and he’s rolled back the latest change. So the next nightlies should hopefully be fixed.

7 Likes

Just tested the new nightly release and everything works fine again.

5 Likes

Hello. I’ve started a personal project on the LaunchBox forums in which I combine Orionsangel’s bezel overlays and HSM’s Reflection Shader. Check it out here: Combined: Orionsangel’s Realistic Arcade Overlays & HyperspaceMadness Reflective Shader - by Knowcontrol

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply.

My use is mixed, but I may still err on the side of caution and avoid it.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll have a look at this.

Yeah so if you use the glass preset then you should definitely not have any problems.

In the future if we add the hue cycling/background lighting this should also address the concern.

4 Likes

@HyperspaceMadness, I have been wondering if the frame and bezel could have different colors later?

2 Likes

I have been wondering the same thing honestly. :wink:

If you really want, you can use a top extra image with a solid color and set the masking mode to the frame. The HSV parameters should let you do what you want.

2 Likes

I am mainly thinking changing the colors with parameters and not extra layers.

2 Likes

So am I.

But if you want to do it now you can. That is why the Top Extra layer is called “Extra”. It is reserved for things like this.

2 Likes

Yeah if this is something people thing would be valuable I can certainly add it.

LIKE this post if you vote for this feature! :rofl:

8 Likes

Something like this? Colorful Gradient Wave Mood Led Ambient Lights - Beautiful Pastel Colorful Video Backdrop (2 Hours) - YouTube

3 Likes

The back lighting that @TheNamec suggested could probably be something like that :slight_smile:

5 Likes

What I had in mind was something simple like this shader toy, only a slower cycle.

https://www.shadertoy.com/view/MsG3RK

But something like this, slowed down, would also be pretty cool.

https://www.shadertoy.com/view/Md3czn

4 Likes

I was thinking that something like this would be cool, although the fade would need to be smoother/slower, of course it would be the kind of thing which would be configurable

This one has an interesting bit about half way through

7 Likes