Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

No problem, I’m glad you’re enjoying it!

Yeah this is what I was considering at the beginning of my emulation adventure as well :slight_smile: When running retroarch vertical I find the best way is to set windows to portrait mode (otherwise the retroarch menus show up sideways), there’s probably scripted utilities which can trigger that. Although you need to set Retroarch to a vertical aspect as well.

Good luck on your build!

4 Likes

Hey, I’ve been out of the loop for a while. I recall reading that some new features would be availble for the ‘next’ version of Retroarch. Is 1.9.1 it or did you mean 2.0? :blush:

1 Like

Ha, nope you don’t have to wait until V2.0, 1.9.1 was the version I was waiting for. I’m currently cleaning up some last bits for this release and expect to release by the end of this weekend :partying_face:

13 Likes

I was testing out the ppsspp core and noticed that the auto-aspect detection was not working for it. It seemed to think the core was 4:3 and had to manually set it to 16:9.

Could it be because I already had 16:9 set as the ratio under video? Does look great though, much better than bumping the resolution. Though the huge borders look a little funny.

2 Likes

I think the shader is just not catching this as a resolution which should be PAR which in this case should be 16x9,I’ll add it to the list of resolutions to check and it will catch it next time :slight_smile:

I think I also need to check the scaling on the side bezels when the screen widens because they are getting wider than they are supposed to be

4 Likes

I was trying out the version without the bezel, seems a bezel is not really necessary when the core aspect ratio matches your monitor. Though maybe it is me but the scanlines look really aggressive, they stand out a lot more when the image takes up the whole screen (no bezel). Could it be because of the size of the image? The core’s resolution is also a little weird, 480x272.

2 Likes

@Arviel

While not necessary, it is a handheld, and the use of a graphic with HSM’s LCD preset really feel right when playing.

There is a resolution multiplier in the core, I think it looks best at 2X with an LCD shader.

4 Likes

Oooh that looks quite nice. I’ll have to try it out. How do you change the background image to match? I admit I have not kept up with the development.

I have another question. Is there a difference between the Simple version and the regular besides the fact that the simple only has the reflection.

Both versions look nice. Though LCD might look better on something like GBA. The colors look a little too washed out on my screen when using the LCD one.

1 Like

These presets will change significantly for the next version which should be released this weekend. There are a few different presets but should be simpler to understand the difference between them:

• ADVANCED
    • Includes extra image layers which can be reordered and scaled
  • STANDARD
    • Standard Mega Bezel features (very similar to what is released)
  • GLASS
    • Fills screen with glass like reflection image, same performance as STANDARD preset
  • BASIC-BORDER
    • Has only the Background Layer and no autogenerated bezel and no reflections, can be a replacement for standard retroarch overlay, can also do an effect like the backdrop in mame

For the lcd preset you currently are using you can adjust the contrast by changing the gamma and ambient parameters for the lcd shader at the end of the parameter list

6 Likes

I was testing the new NGP and NGPC graphics from @Duimon but come across with some shader issues. The vertical color change lines on the background.

This is the previous shader I was using;

And this is the new graphics with your shaders;

• I haven’t change any shader parameter on either one of them.
  • The game is ‘Fantastic Night Dreams: Cotton’ in case you need to run a test on it.
  • The shader I was using for the comparison with yours is from here Handheld Border Shaders

You might have already fixed it on the new upcoming shaders update but here we go anyway.

1 Like

If you are talking about the blue lines, then yes, HSM has fixed that. It looks very pretty now! :grin:

Oh, and thanks for the side by side comparison. Looking at it, I feel pretty good about my transparent joystick and buttons. :wink:

1 Like

That’s great to hear, can’t wait for the release. I’m fully occupied this weekend with the new goodies from both of you guys :grin:

You really should be and “good” is really not enough expression for it, it is GORGEOUS!

I believe the first image on top has an inaccurate bevel effects all around the buttons, texts and details. I have double checked on the internet and your implementation is identical to the original hardware where it has concave details instead of convex. Great piece of artwork :clap:

@HyperspaceMadness Btw, I was wondering if the new set of shaders have a different bezel approach for handheld systems.

1 Like

So that real photography is wrong? :face_with_monocle:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Neo_Geo_Pocket_Color#/media/File:Neo_Geo_Pocket_Color_Front.jpg

There are different models.

Somehow I think it’s all about the lighting trick there fooling the eyes in that particular image. Because even the bottom part of the console, where the SNK logo stands is looks like curved towards the camera which would be really questionable design decision to have there.

So it does and it doesn’t… .

All the presets will have much better & easier to use dual screen support.

The STANDARD preset will work very similar to the released one and have better dual screen support.

The ADVANCED preset can be set up so that the image for the handheld can scale along with the screen, while having an independent background behind the handheld.

2 Likes

Will there be plasma TV shaders with the new set?

1 Like

Hmm, There’s no shader specifically for that in the package, I’m not sure what a plasma shader would look like…

3 Likes

Sorry for the confusion. I meant flat screen without edge curving.

Btw, does your shaders are actually referencing the PVM monitors? Bezels on your shaders are very like the ones from PVM monitors.

1 Like

Hi, so this is already possible by adjusting the curvature parameters in the shader, if you adjust the corner size this will reduce the rounding at the corners as well to create a sharp corner.

When I created the generated bezel effect I did look at a lot of different monitor bezels including PVMs to try to find something that would look ok.

2 Likes

Oh my! I should have toying more with all these parameters. It’s all because the shaders was that good :innocent: I didn’t even bother to nudge it instead, jumped stright to ask such thing like a total noob :man_facepalming:

It really looks great and with reflections on top it skyrockets the joy.

2 Likes