I made a Nightly Updater Program

its working again, thanks!

It not working…

Got error: “Error: cannot connect to the Server”.

Trying to get RA+cores 64 bit, latest nightly.

I experience the same problem with “Cannot connect to Server” when ‘checking’ but only when 'RetroArch" or “RA+Cores” is selected.
When “Cores” is selected everything is in order.

This bug appeared two days ago when you fixed something.
The “Download” or “File to be Fetched” box becomes empty after this connection error.

EDIT:
The much older 0.8.3 suddenly has this connection problem too, which means it is not a problem with Stellar.

@cuyo01 @ofry @James-F

It looks like the HTML changed on the Buildbot website. A single quote to a double quote, so the program could not parse the tags. This affected all versions of Stellar. I’m working on v0.8.5, I’ll let you know when I release soon.

https://stellarupdater.github.io

Update 0.8.5

GitHub Download

User Guide

Change Log

The last release was broken, thanks all for the reports. I’ve redesigned half of the program and how Core comparison works. I’ve tested on both Windows 10 and 7, it appears to fetch the correct RetroArch and Cores.

It accounts for whether there are Unknown or Missing Cores, and if either the PC or Buildbot List is larger than the other. It also double checks until both Lists Dates are in sync, and I’ve placed Error messages throughout the program.

If some Cores continue to reappear after updating, it may be because of the PC/Server time zones. If anyone can find out what time zone the Server is. It’s still in beta, as there may be configurations I’ve not tested, let me know if this has solved the problems.

• Redesigned Core Comparison
  • Improved Accuracy
  • Fixed Crashes

Notes

• If program starts with a white background, go to Configure → Clear Saved, restart program.

• If program crashes or cores not synced, go to C:\Users[Your Name]\AppData\Local\Stellar and delete the old configs.

• If you receive “Error: Cannot connect to Server”, try a few times, it may have failed to download the cores list.

• If certain cores are throwing the updater out of sync, delete them and use “New Cores” option to download a new version.

• If you Update cores, but it still says they are out of date, it might be a Time Zone problem.

Menu Options

• New Install - Installs RetroArch, Redistributables, & Cores. Replaces Configs with default.
  • Upgrade - Upgrades RetroArch to the latest version, including Redistributables and Configs.
  • RetroArch - Updates RetroArch to the latest version, excluding Redistributables and Configs.
  • RA + Cores - Updates RetroArch and currently installed Cores.
  • Cores - Updates currently installed Cores.
  • New Cores - Installs Cores that are newly releseased or missing from your current install.
  • Redist - Installs Redistributables. Helpful if RetroArch won’t start after update.

@cuyo01 @ofry @James-F

1 Like

Thanks!

Report:
It seem to download the oldest nightly build and revert back to 1.6.3…?
Hopefully it doesn’t do the same with the Cores, but I didn’t test thoroughly.

Thanks for catching that. I’ve patched the download.

There was one small piece of code First() needed to be Last().

This version crashes when trying to extract Retroarch.

I haven’t 7ZIP, but have WinRAR.

It was a cross-thread bug that only affected the WinRAR section.

I’ve patched the download for you.

I’m also working on a self-update feature so you won’t have to download the program manually when you want to update.

Thanks for the fixes.

Yes! It is even kind of ironic that an updater doesn’t update itself. :slight_smile:
Stellar will definitely benefit from a self update option.

1 Like

https://stellarupdater.github.io

Update 0.8.6

You can now update Stellar from the menu instead of downloading manually from GitHub.

Change Log

• Added Self-Updater
  • Improved Date Accuracy
  • Improved new window positioning
  • Window saves position on exit
  • Fixed Progress Info not displaying underscore

@cuyo01 @ofry @James-F

1 Like

Got error: “Error: Problem with creating Update & Exclusion list.”

Sometimes late at night around this time the Buildbot Cores index file goes offline and the program can’t detect the Cores list.

The index-extended file appears to be empty at this time https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/windows/x86_64/latest/.index-extended

Try again in 20 mins and let me know if it works.

I’m not sure what the index-extended list is doing.

Yesterday it had around 100 cores, and now it has 36.

Is it releasing a Full list of Cores? Or recently-updated Cores?

If it is recently-updated only, why does it include cores with old dates?

It throws the program out of sync different times of day.

last stellar version crashes every time when pressing the check or update buttons.

@achat It’s because the index-extended file on the Buildbot server has an error in it on line 88.

There is a blank line with no core name and only a date.

I’ll try to have it skip a corrupt line if it runs into it.

@wyzrd I don’t see a blank line… can you point it out to me? Does this issue happen if using bot.libretro.com (direct to our webserver) instead of the cloudflare-cached buildbot.libretro.com?

Also just FYI earlier today the webserver ran out of space… that could also be related to the index issues that appeared today.

The file has now been replaced by a new one on the server, but I still have it downloaded on my pc.

Here I have it opened in a text editor. On line 88 the core name is missing.

When Stellar got to that point it tried to read the name and crashed.

can you make it so that if a retroarch zip has a retroarch.cfg in it, that it doesnt include said file in the update? I know they aren’t included anymore now but there’s no telling when it’ll pop back in and theyve been in there for a long time. Overwriting the .cfg of your current config would reset most previously set cfgs. And that’s a nightmare.