Issue with MSX games

Afaik you need to use custom scaling anyway if you want somewhat accurate aspect ratios from the MSX cores, this is especially obvious for PAL. Compare MSX 1 to SG-1000 ratios (same video chip) of Genesis Plus GX for instance.

When you hit overscale then you are technically no longer using integer.

If the full screen vertical dimension is not an integer of the game resolution then integer scaling will give you a smaller screen. There is no way to use a custom ratio AND integer scaling.

If you use the Mega Bezel you have a bit more control because you can just use integer on one axis.

I recommend using a CRT shader to mask the imperfections and not worry so much about integer. The Guest ADV shader works very well in non integer.

Hi, im trying to get Lode Runner to run on my hakchi2 moded snes classic. I downloaded the fMSX core and game rom but i get an eternal black screen. I want to try your solution changing video mod to PAL but i just cant find where to do it in hakchi software.

Please some help would be much aprecciated.

Regards.

1 Like

It may be that your version of the core doesn’t have the option, but I think that would be strange. I just updated my core to see if it is gone from the options.

Still there. :grin:

Did you add the needed MSX bios files in the RA system folder?

For MSX (Not MSX2) you can try the FB-Neo core. It is my first choice for many systems these days (Like Megadrive.)

You will need the msx roms in an msx (Needs to be lower case.) folder. (From what I can tell they are MAME SL msx1_cart files, though I don’t know where they curated the msx.zip bios file.)

I am sure an archive of the roms shouldn’t be too hard to find.

Dear Duimon,

yesterday i installed the RA bios MSX, selected DOS core and it runs!!! I cant belive it! My childhood game now playable anywhere.

Thank you so much!

1 Like

Im having trouble playing MSX. fMSX always give me the black screen and bluemsx was of no help. FB neo didn’t helped cause the roms were unknown

If you give me the name of the ROM you are using I can see if I can get it to run, and share my settings if so.

(Keep in mind that I am no MSX expert, even though I solved the last issue.)

Curate a current FBNeo romset. There are 1598 working msx roms available, if you are trying to run an MSX1 rom it is likely included.

The FBNeo roms will need to be in a “msx” folder (lower case) in order to be recognized by FBNeo.