Libretro PPA for Ubuntu

hey man, no problem. Thanks for all of your work on them :slight_smile:

Thanks for updating! Although it seems the QT interface is not included?

Working fine now, thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I forgot this Qt thing :frowning:

I’m enabling it on Testing PPA

@sergio-br2 any update on this? Libretro PPA for Ubuntu (for the testing ppa) and will the new reicast-oit be added to the testing-ppa

No, sorry. I’m out of time :confused:

I wanted to say a big thanks to the people who care about the PPA. You make things a lot easier for Ubuntu by providing precompiled and packaged versions of Retroarch!

Hello.

Where can I request a core to be added to the PPA? Specifically, I would like to know if the following could be added:

• Cannonball
  • MAME 2003-Plus
1 Like

Ubuntu 18.04 installed according to the instruction and have this on the launch:

What is going on? Only one unreadable menu.

It’s missing assets. Normally I would suggest you fetch them from the online updater, but seeing as you have a bunch of question marks (I assume for non-English characters?), that’s going to be difficult. So, locate where the package installed (I think it’s /usr/share/libretro/assets, maybe?) and then open your retroarch.cfg in a text editor and change assets_directory to that location.

1 Like

Can I install RetroArch without installing any cores, and then install my cores throught the Online Updater? Kinda confused how much memory will it take if I install all the existing cores.

Sure can. It takes a couple of GB, IIRC, but using the online updater to just get the ones you want is the better way to do it.

1 Like

I am on Ubuntu 20.04 and flycast crashes when I start a game up right after the intro of the game. And do I need a BIOS for sega model roms or do they just work on any arcade emulators on there

I dont know if my problem fits under this topic.

But I have tried adding libretro PPA to my apt-get sources list, but after that it still downloads the retroarch from ubuntu servers, not from libretro.

And my main problem is that, even if I download all cores from update menu, they appear in core-directory, then update database. Then scan all of my roms, NES, N64, Sega, Genesis, etc. Only NES, N64 appear to menu.

So is there a way to get genesis to show up? I tried load content also, but there is no sega cores at all.

Retroarch works perfectly in my RaspberryPi 2 but its too slow for example mario64, so I am trying to get it to work on my old laptop, running ubuntu.

This should work for you.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libretro/stable -y; sudo apt install retroarch -y; sudo apt upgrade -y

I correct, if you follow these instructions, you will not have a problem -> https://retroarch.com/index.php?page=linux-instructions

For all the lists to appear, it is best to do a manual scan.

Is the flatpak version officially supported by retroarch developers?

Sure is. The snap is also supported, but I recommend the official appimage builds from buildbot.libretro.com for the most normal experience (i.e., since you don’t have to deal with any weird flatpak/snap sandboxing).

Hey Libretro community and RA team, is there an ETA for RA 1.9.3 on the stable PPA?

There’s something holding it up that I’m waiting for feedback on how best to handle it. If I don’t hear back soon, I’m just going to do whatever hacky mess I need to do to get it going :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I get a segmentation fault error when trying to run RetroArch 1.9.3 from the stable PPA on Ubuntu 21.04. Trying without a config file doesn’t work either. The PPA didn’t have version 1.9.1 or 1.9.2 for 21.04, but 1.9.0 worked without issue. The log just says this:

[INFO] RetroArch 1.9.3 (Git 122be0cc64) [INFO] === Build ======================================= [INFO] CPU Model Name: Intel® Core™ i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz [INFO] Capabilities: MMX MMXEXT SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE4 SSE4.2 AES AVX [INFO] Built: May 28 2021 [INFO] Version: 1.9.3 [INFO] Git: 122be0cc64 [INFO] ================================================= [INFO] [Input]: Found input driver: “x”. [INFO] [Environ]: SET_PIXEL_FORMAT: RGB565. [INFO] Version of libretro API: 1 [INFO] Compiled against API: 1 [INFO] [Audio]: Set audio input rate to: 48000.00 Hz. [INFO] [Video]: Video @ 960x720