Local Webserver for Custom Core Updates

Anyone setup a local webserver for updating RetroArch Cores?

If your not sure on the what im doing…

As the cores directory is hardcoded into retroarch for droid and I dont want to root my device (Nvidia Shield TV), the only way to add custom cores not found on the build bot is to point the Online Updater path to a custom URL

Hunterk suggested somewhere that it should be possible to create a local webserver to point at.

Anyway im struggling to get the webserver working.

Testing this on a Windows install before hitting the Shield

I installed XAMPP on my 8.1 laptop and have tried a few different file in the root director. At 1st Online Updater gave error index-extended not found Created a .index-extended file and when i webrowse to “http://localhost/.index-extended” the text inside is displayed onscreen

Trying this out manually to the RetroArch buildbot it seems to be a download file. Im thinking that may be the issue as my local server doesn’t give the file out as a download

RetroArch crashes when I go to core updater on windows and on Android it wont open at all with a custom buildbot address (probably because its not valid incorrect)

Any ideas welcome

1 Like

Thanks Just got a little closer

How are you creating that file?

I found a way to create the a file without a filename as required using cmd echo “TEXT” > .index-extended

Copied the contents from the linked file and pasted that in. It works but only getting the Very first line Bsnes. I can probably work with that for now though but would be nice to have my own little online updater so I dont need to worry about testing tnew cores

Got this working with Windows and Shield using the original index file and a copy of the current bsnes-mercury-accuracy core.

What should I do about info files?

Can you specify some of these extra cores and where to download them?

to be fair I have not used any.

Some people have repo’s with custom cores and online sources have been mentioned to me many times. Allan Lindqvist had a setup which used custom cores but I just tried and his site is offline.

I got my hands on a few custom cores and I want to set up a webserver for core updates as well. Could you list a step by step process of doing this? I’m using an app called PAW Server for Android and the AWD IDE but it should achieve the same results.

Its here mate

http://emulationguide.com/retroarch-local-online-updater

1 Like

I can’t do that. Is there a way to install cores without root or using a webserver setup? I think there is a setting to change the directory used to store cores to something that doesn’t require root to access, but I’m not sure if the cores will be recognized.

That isnt really possible, that directory is hardcoded into retroarch because of android permissions. It will change back in your settings after you close and open RA

How are other files like ROMs able to be loaded on demand but not the cores?

My website is dead so links wont work.

Someone asked me for this guide so here is the word document for setting it up

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1e06BXTyFqfnOWg_GVieUtgwENwuiog4d

Shorter version by someone more experienced here

I never did test it myself

1 Like

Thanks again for your research