MAME Libretro for Android - Start machines?

Good morning all !

How do I launch machines like the TRS-80 or the Dragon 32 on Android with the MAME version of Retroarch ?

Thanks best regards !

It should be similar to this: [Guide] Play Non-Arcade systems with MAME or MESS

@hunterk thank you very much for your reply i will try…

However, I still had two questions:

1. For a machine like the Color Computer you need a keyboard… how do you do this on Android ? Is there a virtual keyboard in Retroarch ?

2. Under Android in which directory are the files of the cores of Retroarch located because I cannot find them ?

Greetings !

1. No, but I believe you can map some keyboard keys to overlay buttons in quick menu > controls if you set the device type to keyboard, then back out of the menu and come right back (to refresh it). There’s also a keyboard overlay that works for the most part.

2. the cores are in data/data/com.retroarch/cores, which is only accessible by root, unfortunately. If you need to install a core, you can download the lib and then use the “install a core” function from the ‘load core’ menu.

@hunterk Hello why put the cores in a folder which is only accessible by root ?

It’s an android security policy (i.e., no our call). Dynamic libraries can’t load from outside of the application’s root-owned installation directory.

Hello !

Another question, how to install the latest version of MAME (0.226) on Android because the core is missing ?

download it from https://github.com/libretro/mame/releases/tag/Android_ARM64

Put it somewhere and then go to ‘load core’ and use the “install a core” option to navigate to that core and install it (this will copy it into /data/data/com.retroarch/cores)

Thank you very much I was looking for it for a long time !!!

Why is it not accessible from the Retroarch interface ? Is it a license story ?

Greetings !

No, it’s just that building MAME takes hours per build and it was choking our servers up, so we moved it over to github’s continuous integration service, and we haven’t worked out how to connect the output from that to our core downloader. (that is, we have plenty of ideas on how to do it, we just haven’t done it yet, since the buildbot/core downloader is in flux right now)

@hunterk Hello !

I installed the MAME 0.226 core for Android & I created a .cmd file to launch the Donkey Kong game as here is the content:

coco3 -flop1 /storage/emulated/0/ROMS/MAME/coco3/dkong.zip -rp /storage/emulated/0/ROMS/MAME/coco3 -autoboot_delay 2 -autoboot_command run\"donkey\"\n -skip_gameinfo

Unfortunately it doesn’t work … I don’t know what to do … I have the coco_flop.xml file in the folder /storage/emulated/0/Retroarch/system/mame/hash + BIOS files (coco3.zip + coco_fdc_v11.zip + dkong.zip) in the folder /storage/emulated/0/ROMS/MAME/coco3

Greetings !

I don’t think command line stuff works like that in Android. Maybe try loading the core and then see if you can load stuff from the built-in OSD.

@hunterk Hello !

I am very disappointed nothing works on Android … I disabled the " softlists " option in MAME & connected a bluetooth keyboard to my phone.

I launched the coco3.zip file as a game, the Color Computer 3 interface is launching correctly, but the keyboard doesn’t work & I don’t have access to MAME’s " file manager " to load a floppy…

I have no solution…

Is the path correct ? Do you have to respect the breakage ?

/storage/emulated/0/ROMS/MAME/coco3

Greetings !

Good evening everyone !

I continue my tests to launch Color Computer 3 games & I go from surprises to surprises …

The .cmd files to automatically launch a Coco3 game ONLY work on Windows 10 !!! How is this possible ?

On Windows 7 with the same version of Retroarch (1.9.0) the same version of MAME (0.226) with the same BIOS & game files, Retroarch crashes it’s incomprehensible ???

Same on Android (ARM64) .cmd files do not work (MAME 0.226) it’s hopeless … there is a bug in Retroarch ?!

On the other hand, if I run the coco3.zip file manually I arrive on this screen but I do not have access to MAME’s “file manager” so IMPOSSIBLE to load a game !!!

How to proceed please ? How to have a virtual keyboard in Android ?

Greetings !

There is a keyboard overlay that you can use.

Yes but when I use it the keys do not respond …

& for Windows 7 why is it not working ?

@hunterk Hi, do you know where I can get 32bit version of Mame 0.226 core? I can’t find it anywhere but I need it so that I can run Game & Watch stuff on my TV box.

Thanks