MAME won't actually save mapped inputs

I’m running Windows but I feel this is general

1. I run a game with mame_libretro.dll (from some months ago)
  2. Configure controls for player 2 (general)
  3. Works for this game
  4. Change to another game
  5. Only buttons working for player two are always the direction buttons and one action button, the rest do nothing
  6. it’s like this for every game despite the player 2 input menu (general) displaying the proper inputs mapped to each button on grey and such (in fact, if I remap them, it looks just the same on the input menu, but they now work in-game).

This is terribly annoying, I have to remap the controllers of player 2 every single time I change a game…

I believe you need to create mame ini files to make your settings from the mame OSD stick.

Thanks. What would be the name of the file I need? I’m not familiar with MAME and googling mostly shows RetroPIE stuff

You would probably be best downloading a MAME emulator of same version of you ra core & romset.

Once unzipped you need to run the CreateConfig command to get a mame.ini file.

Drop that MAME.ini file into your system/MAME folder in RA. Turn on read &I write configs under your MAME core options.

Also from your MAME emulator download copy all the folders over to your system/MAME folder in RA. When you run MAME from RA and change setting all the files MAME requires will now get created as needed in the relevant folders.

I’m not 100% that’s totally correct but it will get you going

… /* complete sentence */

Are you sure that would help with this? I did what you said up until the mame.ini part, which I copied inside system>mame>ini, but it did nothing and honestly the procedure itself doesn’t really give me any hope as I see nothing in any of these folders nor field that refers to joystick config… read/write was disabled though, but enabling it didn’t help much it seems.

No matter what I do the second player, mapped to the keyboard, is always screwed some way or another. I’ve googled a lot but it appears I’m the only person in the universe with this odd issue.

edit: something to add is that every time I launch a game, a .ini file is made for it, even if I change no settings. I don’t think this is normal since I’m not entering the “(this machine)” menu.